'Message from External System : Login failed for user '<domain account>' error when using secure store to connect to an external list/database via an external content type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to set up a BCS solution in SharePoint 2013, using an external content type with secure store to access an on-premises SQL Server to pull data into an external list in SharePoint.

I've gone through the steps to configure the Secure Store Service and set up a target application ID, created the external content type in SharePoint Designer, and created the external list from SharePoint Designer.

In the connection properties of the external content type, I specified 'Impersonate Custom Identity' in the 'Authentication Mode' field, and the target appid I previously created in the Secure Store Service in the 'Secure Store Application ID' field.

When I try to view the list in SharePoint, I get a 'Message from External System : Login failed for user <domain user>', where <domain user> is the domain account I used when I set credentials for the secure store target app.  I created a SQL Server login and SQL Server user on the database for the domain account, so the domain account should have permissions to access the content?  I've also tried running an iisreset and recycled the app pool on the SharePoint web front end server, but same result.

It looks like a permissions error, but the domain account I'm using for this should have permissions to access the content.  Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:29 PM

Answers

All replies