none
I have a list that people put there email address, then I have another list that gets documents updated can I do a workflow to notify them RRS feed

• General discussion

•  Ok, I have a list External users:  where the external user registers their name and email address..

then I have another list where there are required documents for them to download. 

I want to notify them when a new document is added to the required  documents Lists:

lists/library being used:

External Users (email address)

Required documents(documents updated)

Workflow to send the registered users using their email addresses  that a new document has been added to the  required documents library.

I can not seem to figure out a way to get a match on this, on how to trigger the workflow to send an email to the registered user  in the one list when a new document is added.

I know Alerts would work, but that would require the  Site manager to set it up ... and they do not want to.

Monday, June 23, 2014 8:22 PM

All replies

• Both alerts and workflow won't send any notifications to external users email address. But, if your external users have internal email account (created by your current company for them) which could possibly be validated through REST services then it's possible.

OOB SharePoint can't send to @gmail, @yahoo and the likes. Other than that, it's possible to create custom workflow in SPD and send emails when documents updated.

Hope this helps!

Monday, June 23, 2014 9:15 PM
  • Why can't it be done, if I have their email address in a column I can then  use that column as my data source for the email addresses?
    Monday, June 23, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Please check this resource as it'll help you understand more why it can't be done:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rajbugga/archive/2013/10/15/sharepoint-2013-unable-to-send-emails-to-external-email-addresses-sharepoint-2013-workflows.aspx 

Monday, June 23, 2014 10:57 PM
  • We are using  SPS 2010 Workflows, (We never had 2013 workflow configured)and I have a 3rd party workflow tool, but I was just trying to figure out a way to call a column that holds the email addresses in a different list then the one that is the primary list of the workflow.

As I'm sending Emails in a workflow now for a different process in a different side of the application to outside email addresses like yahoo and gmail... but that  email is called from the same lists that holds the  email addy's...

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:12 PM
  • I thought it'll help to understand what's expected as more or less the configuration and name resolution are similar. One question, does your SMTP supports relaying message to external email addresses? and one more, on your outgoing email configuration the account used for "From" address is it SMTP account or exchange account?
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:43 PM
  • Solved.  I used harepoint workflows extensions.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:28 PM