none
Access 2010 - Form Fields not Calculating Until Clicked

Question

• I am working on a client's Access 2010 database. They have a tabbed form for data entry. On one form tab there are some basic financial calculations. Here is a simplified example:

[Registration Fee]  (bound to currency value in table)

[Amount Paid] = [CheckPayment] + [CashPayment] + [CreditCardPayment]  (Amount Paid is unbound calculation, adding up three bound currency values)

[Amount Due] = [Registration Fee] - [CheckPayment] - [CashPayment] - [CreditCardPayment]

(Amount Due is unbound calculation, based on four bound currency values)

When clicking over to the Financials tab, for the first record the calculated fields will be blank. If I click into one of the fields, the status bar will briefly show "Calculating..." and then the calculated amount will show up. After doing that, if I scroll to other records, they are fine. There is no VBA code associated with this form. What could be causing this delay in calculating for the first record?

Note: If I redo the calculation textboxes on the tabbed form, they exhibit the same behavior. If I create a new tabbed form, the calculation textboxes I place on it automatically calculate (normal behavior).
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:37 PM

All replies

• It is a confusing behavior. Can you explain your last paragraph more explicitly? You made two tests. In the first, on the same form (on a new tab, or not?) you reproduced the fields and expressions they are bound to and the results were identical? But when you created a new form bound to the same record source, all of the calculated fields compute immediately?

Access does a lot of stuff behind the scenes for us. I've seen many peculiar behaviors that can't really be tracked down. Does the form have a lot of bound controls? Do the controls behave the same if you move them off the tab control (the tab control sometimes has unwanted side effects)? Are they native Access tables, or are you using odbc to link to sql server (or some other db)?

If you can't solve this issue with the form in it's present configuration, a workaround might be to move the sluggish controls into a separate form which is hosted in a subform control (with master and child fields) and a simple record source (esp if you main form has a complex query behind it). Not ideal but it might allow you to move on the the next thing.
    • Edited by rusticloud Friday, February 01, 2013 5:51 AM
    • Proposed as answer by rusticloud Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:09 AM
    Friday, February 01, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Hi John

"johngreenmoon" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1701369c-02b4-4f43-abe7-03b099b4d517@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

form for data entry. On one form tab there are some basic financial
    calculations. Here is a simplified example:
    [Registration Fee]  (bound to currency value in table)
    [Amount Paid] = [CheckPayment] + [CashPayment] + [CreditCardPayment]
    [Amount Due] = [Registration Fee] - [CheckPayment] - [CashPayment] -
    [CreditCardPayment]

When clicking over to the Financials tab, for the first record the calculated fields will be blank. If I click into one of the fields, the

As this fields are unbound they will not be refreshed when data is changed. You can force the refresh in the Form_AfterUpdate event procedure with following lines of code:

Me![Amount Paid].Requery
    Me![Amount Due].Requery

You can also call this statements in the controls AfterUpdate event procedure, for example in CheckPayment, CashPayment and CreditCardPayment AfterUpdate you would requery [Amount Paid]

Henry

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:42 AM
  • As far as I can tell the OP is having issues with the form when it opens (initial state) and not when he updates the data.

Also, most of the time I find that unbound fields that perform simple summary operations like John has described DO automatically recompute when the fields used in the calc are update, without invoking requery in code.

• Edited by rusticloud Friday, February 01, 2013 3:44 PM
    Friday, February 01, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Exactly right. Just to make sure there was not something "weird" in there, I recreated the textboxes and expressions on the original tab and they did not work (exhibited the same problem). But when I created a new form with tabs and recreated them, everything worked on that new form.

The form has quite a few bound textboxes, all bound to one flat file table. (I know, I know, but this is how the client has it set up.)

I fear there is something corrupt in the form, but I don't know how to find it. I may just have to recreate the entire form from scratch. However, I am happy to entertain other ides! :)
    Friday, February 01, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Thank you for your response. However,  the behavior above is being exhibited when the form is first opened and no data updates are being made. So, I don't think the Form_AfterUpdate code would get triggered.
    Friday, February 01, 2013 4:36 PM
  • That is correct - the problem is in the initial state. If I scroll to the 2nd or 3rd record, the problem eventually goes away... (and this is without updating any data at all).
    Friday, February 01, 2013 4:37 PM
  • There are a couple of other suggestions in my first response - test it on the same form but not on the tab control; try putting the calc'd fields into a subform as a last resort, etc. There will be a way to fix it

Did you try something akin to Henry's suggestion? Requery the controls on form open? That might force them to behave, and wouldn't be invoked any time other than when the form is opened.

• Edited by rusticloud Friday, February 01, 2013 5:11 PM
    Friday, February 01, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Hi johngreenmoon,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

How is it going with the problem now?

Thanks.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:01 AM
  • I am also having this same exact issue with my database. Can you help please?
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Those having this problem, you may have already done this and I know it will sound simple, but I was trying to help a client with this problem did all kinds of stuff and nothing worked. 

So I asked if she tried rebooting the computer and she had not; most of my clients do this first thing when they have a problem.  She rebooted and everything worked as it was supposed to.  I believe it is a glitch in Access that happens and rebooting fixes it.  I spent a couple hours on this and it was that simple.  

Good Luck

Robert

Sunday, October 06, 2013 12:34 AM
  • I am having the same issue, but on forms (in 3 different databases) that had been working correctly up until a few days ago. The forms have fields in the detail section that are summed in the form footer. The sums are not recalculating automatically. I thought of rebooting the computer but haven't had time. I'll see if that works.

12/3/13: After rebooting the computer the calculated fields started working correctly.

• Edited by Scott Nation Wednesday, December 04, 2013 5:57 AM Update
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 4:02 PM
  • The forms have fields in the detail section that are summed in the form footer. The sums are not recalculating automatically.
    Are you referring to the summation of values in one column over a set of rows, or the addition of values from two or more columns in a single row?  If the former try calling the Recalc method of the Form object with Me.Recalc in the form's AfterUpdate event procedure; if the latter I'd suggest doing the addition in a computed column in the form's underlying query and binding a text box control to the computed column.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:58 PM
  • We are having exactly the same problem at a couple of our csutomers.

On some forms we have calculated fields which are set through VBA.  They have always worked correctly, but recently at two customers it suddenly stops working.  At one of them, pressing F9 refreshes the fields; at the other, nothing works.  After reboot all is fine again.  The databases are running on a Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have reproduced the problem in a test database with one form and one simple table with two columns.  If I set the controlsource for the calculated control through VBA, it does not work.  After rebooting it works as expected.

This started happening about one month ago so I was suspecting some automatic update or something.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Best regards

Benny Floden

Developer, RCCINT Brussels Belgium

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:58 AM
  • We have the same problem with calculated fields in one formular in every frontend (6) without VBA. Today the stopped working in this formular. The calculated fields are in the footer of the formular. And this problem is only on the Server not running on workingstation. Tomorrow we`ll trying to reboot the server. I hope this helps.

Are there any server options for MS Acces for calculating?

Best regards

Alexandra Lippitz

Developer, Vienna, Austria

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 8:55 PM
  • I have had the same problem.

A weird method to stop it from calculating is to click the mouse on the scroll bar for the Access Objects (left side of screen). I have no idea why this works but it seems to make access break out of some kind of loop.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Same here.  A customer's application was working fine for over a year. Today, calculated fields stopped being updated.  However, as above, the issue was only seen for users on the server (Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services).  Desktop users connecting to the same backend database had no issues.

We tried having all users close the application, compacted the front end and backend, ensured the LDB files were deleted, and had them log off/on their sessions.  No help.  Tonight, we restarted the server and the problem went away.

I expect it to come back under whatever circumstances precipitated it in the first place, so it would be nice to know the root cause.  Thank you.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:21 AM
  • I think the problem since the last update in october is, that the office programms are not closed, after closing. They are running in the background and after a time we have this problems, with the reboot of the server or  the machines, the programms are closed, so the problem is solved. I `ll send an email to microsoft with this problem.

Best regards

Alexandra Lippitz

Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:22 AM
  • Alexandra, thank you for your reply.  I tested the issue you mentioned on a customer server, but it seems it did not behave as you described.  I monitored the processes in Task Manager as I opened and closed Access.  MSAccess.exe appeared when I opened Access and disappeared when Access was closed.  Is there some other process that you think might cause this issue?  Or, do you think there is some condition which causes MSAccess.exe to remain open sometimes, which in turn causes the issue?  Thank you.
    Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:37 AM
  • Bump!

Anyone find a solution to this issue?? I have multiple clients who experience this after running Access for a while (unknown length of time 1 day-many days). Some are connected to SQL Server some are not. It seems like an update screwed it up, but which one? It really seems to show up on RDP sessions/Windows server but I have also seen it on Windows desktop users. Unfortunately is is more difficult to reboot a server when the issue appears.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:47 PM
  • I'm an end user so I don't know all the lingo of developers so forgive me if I don't make myself clear. I was just browsing online to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. I've been having this problem since I bought a Windows 8 laptop. If I put my database on a flash drive and transfer it to my Windows 7 computer, the calculated fields show totals and the word "calculating ..." is not constantly showing in the bottom left corner. The strange thing is that this is the third time it's occurred in about three or four months and each time it seems to start and stop with no rhyme or reason. I thought it may be an update that causes it. I'm connected to SQL Server. Any help?
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 5:44 AM
  • Same problem here.

We are running Access 2010 runtime on Server 2008 R2 with both FE and BE on it. Each user has own FE copy on Server which is opened from own PC through remote desktop. 

After fresh Server restart all goes well for 1-2 weeks. But then some strange behaviour starts: 
    - values of all calculated fields - whatever, on forms or on reports - disapears. When I click on a field it shows up again. And refresh does not help;
    - all condition formats does not show up until I hover the mose on it.

When we restart the Server all comes to normal again. Its very annoying because users thinking data are gone!

I have searched a lot on net but seems it is rare problem and maybe related to some kind of overcaching or something related to time used. Maybe there are some parameters to set on Server? If anybody found a solutions please let us know.

Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:46 AM
  • The other thing that happens (besides all the calculated fields being blank) is on a report I use, the "Close Print Preview" button gets greyed out. And then "Calculating ..." is constantly showing at the bottom left side of the screen. The last two times I had this problem (in the last few months) it seemed to get fixed with a Windows Update. I don't know whether I click on something to change the database settings and then the update normalizes it again or what? This time I noticed the calculated fields were showing and a half hour later they weren't (and still aren't two days later), while I was working on Access. Could I have clicked on something to change it?
    • Edited by Monkeynaut Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:41 PM
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Windows updates or Office updates?
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:06 PM
  • Any update seems to do it. I recorded the times this has happened to me and I have:

MS Access calculated fields not showing:
    Oct 8-Oct 11, 2013
    Dec 11-Dec 14, 2013
    Jan 7-Jan 10 2014

I may have not noticed November (?) or it never happened. Looking at update history, it seems to coincide with the fix. It's annoying. There must be some explanation. It seems unlikely that it's something I did myself by clicking the wrong key combination.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Monkeynaut, we investigated the same idea, but have found no correlation.  We've seen this issue a few times since mid 2013 and checked the dates against update installation dates.  The issue occurred anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks after an update (any update) was installed.  So, we have not seen any cause and effect here.
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Hmm. So just a coincidence. Very confusing.
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:22 AM
  • I have opened a Microsoft Support issue regarding this problem, if anyone is interested. This is, no doubt, a bug in Access.

I will update here with any answers or worthwhile info.

Our end-user environment:

- Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime SP2 32-bit
    - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
    - Microsoft Security Essentials 4.4.x

One of our savvy users reported this problem again yesterday, indicating that a report they run several times a day was not showing an (arithmetic) total. The problem was reproducible on her computer at the time. She mentioned that this wasn't the first time the problem had come up, but that she hadn't seen it happen "in a while." Hitting F9 or clicking in the control caused the value to display, as others here have reported.

Most worth mentioning is that we have experienced this issue in MANY PLACES throughout our company's suite of Access applications, both in reports and forms. Our Access developer has never seen the issue on his own machine though, according to him.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Hitting F9 is a good workaround for now. I'm restarting our servers tonight and making sure we have our latest MS office updates.  Hopefully that'll fix it.
    Friday, January 17, 2014 12:38 AM
  • Monkeynaut, we have now seen a correlation between Microsoft Updates and the occurrence this issue, but it is very odd.  For the last three months, this issue has occurred on the day after updates were downloaded - but not installed.  The server (WS 2008 R2 with Remote Desktop Services) is allowed to download new updates, but not to install them.  By the start of the next day, the issue is affecting users on the server.  We then install the updates and restart the server and the issue is gone (although I believe we have also simply restarted the server and not installed the updates and that also worked).

Users on desktop devices using the same applications did not seem to be affected.  However, the desktop devices are allowed to download and install updates automatically.

It seems like this must just be a coincidence, but perhaps you could check to see when you downloaded updates, as opposed to when you installed them, and see if there is any correlation at your site.  Thank you!

Derek-d'O, I am also an Access developer, but I have seen this on my own machine, too.  I've tried any number of things to see if that would fix the issue, but the only thing I have found is to restart my machine.  Thanks.

Friday, January 17, 2014 1:27 AM
  • If anyone can get one or more screenshots of the issue I'd like to forward them over to Microsoft.

My machines rebooted Wednesday for automatic updates and of course the issue has now disappeared.

Friday, January 17, 2014 4:36 PM
  • I have had this issue happen on a couple of machines now, with no answer on how to fix besides running a repair on office and re-booting. All have the same environment, terminal server running Server 2008 R2 with Access 2010.

These are some of the issues I have experienced:

1.) Totals not showing up on subforms

2.) When in Design mode, there is no 'Design', 'Arrange', 'Format' toolbars. I can right click the form and they will re-appear, but odd none the less.

3.) Greyed out buttons on toolbar ex. Views button / Conditional Formatting button

• Proposed as answer by meme427 Friday, March 28, 2014 4:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by meme427 Friday, March 28, 2014 4:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:36 PM
  • A Microsoft Support tech last week indicated to me that they suspect there is an issue with the Microsoft/Windows Update process that is causing the "Access engine" to go into a broken state.

I am attempting to reproduce this week with a "clean slate" box.

S. Hamel: We experience most/all of the issues you're describing. In addition the "Close Print Preview" button on reports is often grayed out, and the window control box (max, min, close) is often in the exact opposite state as the "Close Print Preview" button.

See: 

http://static01.dmlaw.com/share/Capture_Access_ClosePrintPreviewButtonDisabled_Sanitized.png
    http://static01.dmlaw.com/share/Capture_Access_NoChildWindowControls_Sanitized.png

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Thanks for the info Derek. Hopefully Microsoft comes out with a fix soon.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:13 PM
  • Is there an update, that fix the problem? 

Or do I have to repair the Access Installation? 

Any Solutions/Tipps so far?

Regards

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:21 PM
  • I have the exact same problems on several computers and I'm looking for a solution for 2 years now.

I found out some of these computers have problems with Windows Update. We will try to fix this and let you know if that solves the problems.

Is there already more information about the cause or any solution?

• Edited by RianDev Monday, February 10, 2014 10:25 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 10:24 AM
  • I'm surprised that Microsoft isn't looking into this. Has anyone an "in" with anyone at MS to let them know what's going on? It's not like we're using non-Bill Gates software. As I've said before this problem of the calculated fields not showing a total and "Close print preview" being greyed out reoccurs every month for me. Very annoying. It's happened again today and I've kept record of it:

MS Access calculated fields not showing:
    Oct 8-Oct 11, 2013
    Dec 11-Dec 14, 2013
    Jan 7-Jan 10 2014 ... and now Feb 10th

I may have not noticed November (?) or it never happened.

Monday, February 10, 2014 6:30 PM
  • I'm getting identical behavior in a report.  The textbox control has a subtotal calculation to count records.  It shows nothing - but if I click in it the value shows up.  this isn't about it being visible because of selection or anything I can figure out.  Also have a strange issue where if I save an object as and rename, that new one doesn't show up in the navigation pane unless I close the application altogether and reopen it.  I've used and taught Access for many many years - and this is driving me nuts!  Only happening on my office computer, not in my teaching room thank goodness.  Ideas welcome!
    Monday, February 10, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Monkeynaut: Is the issue still present on any of your machines? If so, can you try stopping the Windows Update service and re-trying Access (without rebooting)? If Microsoft doesn't want to chime in here we'll need to root cause this ourselves. Seeing as your problems seem to occur right around/after Patch Tuesdays, I say we start fiddling with WU.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:37 PM
  • LettyB: I also experience that problem with the Navigation Pane, although closing and re-opening Access will show the new/changed objects, whereas these other issues seem to persist until a reboot.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Derek-d'O - not sure what you mean by stopping Windows Update and re-trying Access. Do you mean turn off all automatic Windows Updates? Now or for next month when it will probably reoccur? This problem only seems to be on my Windows 8.1 OS - when I transfer the database by flash drive to my Windows 7 laptop, it works fine.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Just had another server show up with this issue (again). This time I checked the Windows Update info and sure enough it was updated on 2/7/14 and the last time we were on that server was 2/4/14 with no problems.

BTW it is not all calculated amounts.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Monkeynaut: I mean stop the "Windows Update" service:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736564(v=ws.10).aspx

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:55 PM
  • We had this problem on all our 4 computers.

We made some changes in Windows Server 2008. The Windows update is managed by WSUS on the server, but we didn't run updates for a long time. Now we approved the updates, the problem is solved. On all computers.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:17 AM
  • Yes, that's the thing - the update always solves the problem for me. But then it comes back again.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Monkeynaut, are you sure the update resolves the issue or could it be the restart after the update that resolves the issue?

In the cases we have seen, a restart always resolved the issue whether or not it accompanied updates.  In fact, the last three times we've seen this, it has occurred within a day of updates being published, not downloaded or installed, just published.  We are starting to suspect that the Windows Update engine queers something in Access just by getting info that updates are available.

As suggested by others in this thread, we have now disabled the Windows Update service.  If this issue does not occur next Patch Tuesday, as it has done the last three Patch Tuesdays, it will be pretty good evidence that Windows Update might be the source of this issue.

I'll post again in a month . . .

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:48 AM
  • Sorry to be so obtuse but do you mean any restart would solve the issue? If so, that is definitely not the case for me. It certainly seems to be related to the update in some way but I'm not a developer (I'm an end user of Access) so I'm not in the same intellectual boat as most of you.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 6:51 AM
  • I am having the same issue on Server 2012 using remote desktop.  We are using Office 2010, and the only way to get the totals for calculated fields is to hit F9.  I downloaded some updates a while back but haven't restarted the server yet.  I will do so today and see if that fixes it at least temporarily.  It is definitely related to something with windows update as this problem starting happening right after I installed these last patches. 
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:25 PM
  • We are having similar intermittent problems:  Fields not populating until clicked, constantly showing "calculating.." at the lower left of the screen, etc.  Restarting the workstation resolves the issues until they reappear.

We are running six workstations with Windows 7 Pro

Front end and back end are split, but both reside on the server. Front end (on the server) is called by the workstations.

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard, Service Pack 1

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Hi all,

I have the same situation with a little app I wrote that runs on Access 2010 runtime against a SQL Server Express running on Windows Server 2008 R2.  Rebooting sometimes works.

I'm posting to get myself on the map.  I'll post when I get it solved.

Jeffrey Fox

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 12:20 AM
  • I agree with this being an issue with Windows Update. We changed the updates to notify only and it still broke.

Additionally a reboot alone has not consistently worked and I unfortunately have not made notes to identify what systems rebooted ok and which ones required reinstalling Access.

I have a number of clients that have had this issue on XP, 7, 8, server 2008 (RDP), and server 2012 (RDP).

Has anybody had a response from Microsoft support on this?

Is this a similar issue to support.microsoft.com/kb/2748410 where the registration of the common controls library was being messed up?

Friday, March 07, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Has anyone been able to come up with a solution? This happens monthly on our server and our client's server. We have different IT departments, and neither has been able to solve it.

We are running Server 2008 R2, with Access 2010. We tried Microsoft support, but they were no help because they could not reproduce the issue on their machines.

Monday, March 17, 2014 11:31 PM
  • Hey -

I'm happy to know that I'm not alone on that.

The only solution for this problem until now - is to RESTART the computer...

We also experience calculated fields that showing a blank value when form is open.

Only restart solve it.

That occur at least 3 time in the last 5 month.

If anyone knows anything... please help...

Thanks

Alu.

Alu_g

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:24 PM
  • I am having the same issue with the answers not showing up on the form once they have been calculated.  It updates the record but will only show the answer when clicked.  I am using Access 2010 on a Windows 7 home premium os.  Would love to know what is causing this problem.  Any help appreciated.
    Friday, March 28, 2014 4:10 AM
  • For those who would like to start raising hell (from an e-mail I received from Microsoft Support):

My name is Arun Yadav and I'm a manager here at Microsoft Office Product Support, First, I would like to thank you for choosing Microsoft's Office Product Support Services as a technical resource.

Thank you for the time today on the call, as discussed on call sending you this mail with my contact details, this is in reference to the above mentioned case which has been identified to be an issue by design of the product. While we understand and appreciate your expectations from the product, I believe you also understand the limitations which get tied up at the time of designing the product.

• Edited by Derek-d'O Wednesday, April 09, 2014 5:30 PM
    Monday, April 07, 2014 10:29 PM
  • We have the same problem with one of our customers access DB's, it has been happening since around November 2013 and occurs once a month some where around the first week.

They are running Windows server 2008 RDS, and Office 2010 64bit with Access runtime 2010 64bit SP2.

I have tried the F9 key to display the totals, and it very briefly displays the total, if I hold down the F9 key it then flashes the total one an off, but is readable.

Our customer's Access developer has suggested uninstalling Office 2010 SP2 resolves this issues but I haven't tried this yet, is anyone else running Office 2010 SP1 and it is still occurring?

I have just had this problem occur again today 5th May 2014, has anyone made any progress on this issue?

• Edited by Stoal76 Monday, May 05, 2014 4:13 AM
    Monday, May 05, 2014 4:10 AM
  • This problem has occurred again this month, today being the 11 of June, has anyone made any progress on this frustrating issue?

Interesting it happened over night so occurred on patch Tuesday which was the 10th of June this month, so possibly points the the Windows updates as others have mentioned in this forum.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:30 PM
  • I have the same issue with Access 2010 and Server 2003.  The calculated fields stops showing the calculated value.  If you click on them, they will show it.

Also, if I restart the server it will "fix" the issue.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:10 PM
  • I have experienced the blank totals on forms since sometime last year.  It happens usually near the beginning of the month.  A reboot fixes the problem. For one customer it seems to show up on the first Saturday, after the first Friday of the month.  It didn’t happen when the first Saturday of the month was the 1<sup>st</sup>.  It doesn’t seem to happen when they first logon to their system either. 

I thought maybe it corresponded to updates, but I haven’t always noticed updates installed near that time.  I wasn’t sure if there were updates that happen that aren’t recorded.  I’ve also thought maybe it was related to someone opening anther program that possibly changed the references, but I’m not convinced of that since we have seen missing totals at 5 different customers.

I don’t know if some of our other customers have learned to reboot so they are no longer calling, or if they turn off their computers nightly, or if the problem just stopped happening for them.

We see it mostly on Windows Server 2008 R2 remote desktop sessions.  Maybe that is because servers don’t get rebooted very often.  We have setup a scheduled task to reboot one customer’s server every Saturday early to hopefully prevent the totaling issue for them.  We use a front end of MS Access 2010 runtime, the program is an accde, with SQL server backend.

These are the dates of the calls we received reporting the totals missing from forms.

11/02/13

12/07/13, 12/13/13

01/02/14, 01/04/14, 01/06/14, 01/07/14

02/08/14, 02/11/14

03/08/14, 03/10/14

04/03/14, 04/05/14

06/07/14, 06/11/14

Note – we rebooted the server of the customer that always reports the problem on a Saturday on 5/3 before they opened.  They did not report the problem that month.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:37 PM
  • I used our program installer to install on my computer.  The access 2010 runtime SP2 took a long time to install on my computer so I must not have had it before.  After I installed, I lost the totals on fields that run a function.  For example on the invoice line items, the totals would not display.  The total was = cswRoundAmount2(NZ([dblSubTotal])).  I tried just cswRoundAmount2 and then just NZ.  Neither would show a total.  I made a new function spvTest that returned what was sent to it.  That wouldn’t work either.  Native functions, such as trim or round would return results.  I tried a function on the line item total and even on the line item description.  Neither would stop at my breakpoint and neither showed information in their fields.

When I did the same thing on another machine it would stop at that break point when the form was loaded, when I went to that tab and if I changed anything on that line.  The function worked fine on the computer that showed totals.

I left my screen up overnight.  When I came in the next day the totals were showing on the invoice I had left up, but as soon as I looked at another invoice, the totals were gone.

I rebooted my machine and tried the installation again.  The totaling problem did not happen again. 

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:26 PM
  • I have customers who work with terminal servers. They have to pay for every time they want the server rebooted.

Does anyone know an easer option? Like restarting some service or something?

Friday, June 27, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Monkeynaut, are you sure the update resolves the issue or could it be the restart after the update that resolves the issue?

In the cases we have seen, a restart always resolved the issue whether or not it accompanied updates.  In fact, the last three times we've seen this, it has occurred within a day of updates being published, not downloaded or installed, just published.  We are starting to suspect that the Windows Update engine queers something in Access just by getting info that updates are available.

As suggested by others in this thread, we have now disabled the Windows Update service.  If this issue does not occur next Patch Tuesday, as it has done the last three Patch Tuesdays, it will be pretty good evidence that Windows Update might be the source of this issue.

I'll post again in a month . . .

What KernelSoftware says resonates a little with the situation at our company, setup is: desktops Win8 Pro, MSAccess 2013 64bit (patched through SCCM), we use RDS servers (Win 2012R2, currently only receiving AV updates). The desktops also have fast boot enabled, so they get the issue unless they restart (power off then back on does not resolve it).

We get the issue of the data disappearing about every month, the main point is the RDS servers don’t get updates (except AV), yet they still get the issue of the data not been displayed.

I was wondering:

1. Is anyone else is getting this problem without out updated been installed?
    2. Has anyone had any contact with MS (I note Derek-d'O comment on the 7/Apr) regarding fix/updates/solutions?
    3. KernelSoftware, you said you were going to try disabling updates, could you let us know of the results?

Cheers

Chris 

Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:18 AM
  • I have the exact same issue, still no solution in sight.
    A restart always fixes it though whether its a terminal server or an individual local machine.

Also to confirm the problem is not in my code I made a totally new accdb with 1 table, 1 query, 1 form and still had the same issue. The status bar shows "calculating..." and datasheet forms wont refresh calculated values until clicked.

• Edited by mgh2112 Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:59 PM additional info re: test
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Stoal76

The client of ours that had the monthly problem of totals not showing does have Office 2010 SP2 running.  This link tells how to check to see what version your have.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121559/en-us

The every Saturday morning reboot of their server has helped them.  We continue to get other clients calling with the same problem.  Only a reboot will fix it.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:38 PM
  • I have the same issue with several clients and have found that restarting the TS or workstation is the only way to resolve.  Not a very cool solution!  Has anyone heard back from Microsoft on this?  Getting close to calling if it's not resolved soon. 
    Monday, July 28, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Chris,

Two calls to Microsoft Support have been closed on my end as "by design".

I *strongly* encourage anyone that has the time to call in to bug the heck out of Microsoft about this by calling in and filing a ticket.

-Derek

Monday, August 04, 2014 6:48 PM
  • SKirk70,

As I mentioned to Chris above, my two calls to Microsoft Support have been closed with resolution "by design".

I *strongly* encourage anyone experiencing this issue to call Microsoft Support or reach out to any contacts they have (Microsofters, MVPs, etc.) as right now the issue is not being taken seriously.

-Derek

Monday, August 04, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Hi Derek, 

Did they give any more information other than "it's by design"?

I can't seem to fathom how content not displaying is by design after an check for updates.

We'll have a chat about it here at work and see about going to MS support.

Cheers for responding Derek

Chris

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Does it help to put activity on this thread?

I rebooted 2 servers (more to come, I am sure) this week because of this issue. Can someone at Microsoft look into this?? The only solution I know of is to turn off the automatic updates.

Please make this a priority MS!

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 7:34 PM
  • Hello. I'm an employee of SKirk, who also responded to this thread. I've got a support case opened with Microsoft to have this issue looked at in detail as soon as we can get the issue to come back up on a machine here in our office. I'm hoping we can make it happen soon. It seems that when they told some users that the issue was "by design", they were mistaking this issue for another one and that the "by design" answer is not correct. 

I'll be running some diagnostic software on the computers that have had the issue in my office, as well as some of my clients if they will allow it. Hopefully we can get MS to see a sense of urgency if we just stay on their butts about it for a while. And it will be totally worth it to not get the myriad of support calls that roll in on a daily basis saying that the amounts are not refreshing on this form or that form. 

Until then, everyone have a great day and wish me luck. 

Monday, August 11, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Chris, Rhett, Tony,

I just put in another support case. I'll try to update this thread daily/weekly with any news.

Also, my own computer here is having the issue, so if anyone has anything they want to test, let me know: dsimon AT dmlaw DOT com

Chris: To answer your question the only other thing of interest they mentioned to me was that they "could not reproduce in the lab."

Few questions:

1) What is everyone using as a backend? I've got SQL Server hosting most of our data here.

2) Does everyone's status bar read "Calculating..." while the fields remain empty?

3) Has anyone ever noticed the fields populating after a really long duration (minutes/hours)? I'm going to leave one of our DB's open overnight to see what happens.

4) Has anyone noticed/heard of a reboot not fixing the problem the first time? I've had a few users call saying it hasn't.

5) Does anyone have ANY thought on how an app, which is completely removed from memory on exit, is behaving differently when launched after a reboot than when launched after no reboot?

-Derek

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:19 AM
  • Chris, Rhett, Tony,

I just put in another support case. I'll try to update this thread daily/weekly with any news.

Also, my own computer here is having the issue, so if anyone has anything they want to test, let me know: dsimon AT dmlaw DOT com

Chris: To answer your question the only other thing of interest they mentioned to me was that they "could not reproduce in the lab."

Few questions:

1) What is everyone using as a backend? I've got SQL Server hosting most of our data here.

2) Does everyone's status bar read "Calculating..." while the fields remain empty?

3) Has anyone ever noticed the fields populating after a really long duration (minutes/hours)? I'm going to leave one of our DB's open overnight to see what happens.

4) Has anyone noticed/heard of a reboot not fixing the problem the first time? I've had a few users call saying it hasn't.

5) Does anyone have ANY thought on how an app, which is completely removed from memory on exit, is behaving differently when launched after a reboot than when launched after no reboot?

-Derek

Hi Derek,

To answer your questions, for us:

1) .mdb as backend (front in 2013 accdb), but we're are in the process of migrating to SQL Server.

2) Users have commented on seeing the calculating on the status bar, not seen it at the same time as the field been empty, but wasn't looking for it specifically.

3) not tested.

4) The only times a reboot hasn't worked is when they do a shut down and turn it back on (justifiably not understanding that it's different to a restart).

5) Possibly due to fast boot, something getting cached that Access uses (hence a restart and not a shut down and power on to resolve), we don't want to turn it off due to the boot speed http://blogs.msdn.com/b/olivnie/archive/2012/12/14/windows-8-fast-boot.aspx 

Chris

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Hi johngreenmoon,

Thanks for your feedback. The Access Support escalation group can verify the issue is not by design.

There seems to have been a miscommunication with the manager who was quoted above. The Access developers are aware of the problem. At this time the only workaround is to reboot your machine.

Please see:

KB 2827138 Access encounters multiple issues if the PC has been running more than 20 days

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2827138/EN-US

Your feedback has the attention of the Access development team.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

Having an interest in this issue as well, I've looked at the KB article, I note it was last reviewed March 27, 2013.

Is there any form of time-scale/priority on this? I'm curious to know as the article is for Access 2007+ and states "This will be reviewed for future versions of Access".

Regards,

Chris

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:33 AM
  • Jeffrey,

This is ridiculous. The bug is more than a year old. It's almost laughable for us to even ask WHEN it will be resolved when we're talking in YEARS. This thread alone is almost 18 months old.

To boot, the "Support Representative" I just spoke to didn't even MENTION the KB article.

It's like the entire first level support team is run by people that just don't care. I've filed three (3) tickets about this issue in the last few months only to be told the issue is "by design" TWICE and just now that the "accepted resolution" is to reboot the machine.

Microsoft: GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. There's probably 10 lines of code somewhere that need changing by the Access team. Find them, fix them and make good on the promise of support.

-Derek

Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:42 PM
  • Hi Chris,

>> Is there any form of time-scale/priority on this?

Thank you for helping the Access developers understand your issues; however, we can’t make any promises at this time.

@Derek, sorry for the inconvenience and thanks very much for your feedback.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 15, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Has anyone tried the hotfix in the KB article referenced above by Jeffrey-Chen'?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2827138/en-us

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:25 AM
  • Getting closer to a solution. Just need to find another box to duplicate the issue on. The gentleman at MS said he would like to see a few more instances of this in the wild. I'm hoping I can get him connected to a customer's computer and gather some info. Maybe we'll have this thing solved by End of September! Okay. Okay. Maybe by end of year. We shall see. 
    Monday, August 25, 2014 5:32 PM
  • Rhett,

If they need to look at another computer feel free to direct them my way: dsimon AT dmlaw DOT com.

-Derek

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:05 PM
  • JE_VB,

I did, but that hotfix is from 2012. If you have the latest service pack installed it won't apply. I assume it's included in the latest SP anyway.

-Derek

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Hi All,

I wanted to give a brief update that the Access development team is currently investigating this issue and I will post an update as to their decision once it's made.

Regards,

Dennis

Friday, September 12, 2014 7:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you -- my client is having this issue now with some regularity. Using Sql Server 2012 backend on another box at webhost, terminal services to connect to server 2012 r2 standard 64bit. Rebooting repairs the problem. Please report back here when there is new information!

Thanks,

Steph

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:02 PM
  • I'm still waiting for a solution to this problem too. When will I be able to satisfy my clients?
    Monday, October 06, 2014 9:43 AM
  • We are waiting for a solution to this problem also.
    Monday, October 06, 2014 1:13 PM
  • I have the exact same problem as everybody else on this thread. Access 2010 on Windows RDP Server 2008. A text box that is setup to SUM a column of values is blank until F9 is pressed.

I have reproduced the issue with the simplest db going; one table of 3 values, one query and one form to display and sum the values. Link to zip file - www.laplaya.co.uk/msaccessissue/sum.zip

Opening the same db in Access 2003 and there is no problem. Close and re-open in Access 2010 on Windows RDP Server and the sum field is blank.

• Edited by PatrickLaPlaya Wednesday, October 08, 2014 8:17 AM typo
    • Proposed as answer by KearneyJoseph Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 08, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Okay I hope I am submitting properly. Had exactly the same problems but solved it.

The customer had installed a third party windows app ( still seeking confirmation of C# or VB and version Visual Studio forms) on one of the workstations. Immediately after installing if user opened database there were no sub totals. If I uninstalled the app and re- booted the problem immediately went away. If I ran the app locally on my test station it never had the problem. If I installed the app and then used my test station, duplicated the problem.

Intermittency - on a network, if that user (with the installed app) opened the database all subsequent share users had same problem. If the user shut down and stayed down and all other users re-booted the problem went away.I speculate that some aspect of one of the Office dll's involved with the sum feature was overloaded by the app install. Sharing users would get the current configuration because the initial user had the app installed when they started up. Also, the user with the app was Accounting which only used the app and opened the database once a month to run reports. Hence the monthly cyclical nature of the error.

I am trying to get the build file for the VB app to see if some dependent file or dll in their package is old or has been customized to force some aspect of their app. I am not a strong Visual Studio user but all my testing directly points to the app. Uninstall the app, reboot, and no more problem.

Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Just to add weight to the thread - My customers are seeing this too following an extensive upgrade!

Windows Server 2012 R2

Access 2013/Office365

SQL Server 12.0 Back end.

A little inconvienient  to reboot server with ll staff connected. I will schedule for out of hours. Fingers Crossed.

Brian, ProcessIT- Hawke&#39;s Bay, New Zealand

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:18 PM
  • Hello Dennis,

Any update on this? Will it ever be solved? Does Access 2013 have the same problem?

Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:59 AM
  • Does Access 2013 have the same problem? Yup.
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Recently updated from 97 to 2010 and everything is great! except sometimes fields with calculations don't update.  Found the only solution so far to reboot the users computer everytime this happens!

Monday, October 27, 2014 11:06 AM
  • In our setup we have to restart the machine of the user that is seeing the issue, we have a split database and the front end on each users machine.
    Monday, October 27, 2014 11:07 AM
  • I've been encountering this same issue for quite some time, occurring randomly on our workstations running Access 2010. As mentioned by others, the only fix for it is a restart. It started after a Microsoft update, either Windows or Office, I know that, but I don't know which one. Makes things particularly fun when making changes to forms and VB code, as sometimes what appears to be a problem with the code actually turns out to be this bug asserting itself.

In any case, I'm glad to hear they have acknowledged that it's a bug and they are (presumably) working on a fix for it. I find it really interesting that it affects Access 2013 as well.

Monday, November 03, 2014 8:42 PM
  • So how is it going with the fix?
    Tuesday, November 04, 2014 11:02 AM
  • Hi Dennis - Please could you urgently let us know when there will be a solution to this problem. I assume that the problem must be considerable because without a solution  Access as a product is pretty much finished. How can I say to a customer  - "oh if we use access you have to reboot the server constantly in order to add up a column of figures".  This problem has been going on for nearly 2 YEARS and it makes me think that microsoft have lost any interest in the product.  Your comments are very welcome

regards Richard

To other users - have you looked into a replacement product for access and if so what have you come up with

Saturday, November 08, 2014 1:29 AM
  • I've a solution to overcome this problem.

To get mouse clicked on form/control do the following.

Append the following code at the end of your Date_afterUpdate ()  method.

SendKeys "{Enter}"
        MsgBox "Data Synced.", vbOKOnly

Example:

------------

Private Sub MyDate_AfterUpdate() 'if you have any other code type here SendKeys "{Enter}" MsgBox "Date Changed.", vbOKOnly End Sub

Sunday, November 09, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Without reading the near 100 responses here, what you need to do is:

1 make sure that your expression is in an unbound text control's control source (e.g. AmountDue.ControlSource: = [CheckPayment] + [CashPayment] + [CreditCardPayment])

2 If you want the values to update when you move from record to record, then in the form's on current event, enter a procedure to requery the text control: AmountDue.  Of course you can add more controls as necessary. 

Private Sub Form_Current()

Call RefreshCalcs()

End Sub

Private Sub RefreshCalcs()

me.AmountDue.Requery

End Sub

3  If you need to see the values updated after you change a record, add the same procedure to the form's after update event.

Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()

Call RefreshCalcs()

End Sub

This should resolve your issues.

• Edited by MPM01 Sunday, November 09, 2014 9:03 PM
    Sunday, November 09, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you for patiently waiting while the Access development team investigated this issue. I’m happy to announce, a hotfix to address the issue is now available. You may request the hotfix from knowledge article 2899528.

Hotfix KB2899528 for Access 2010 November 11, 2014 (Access-x-none.msp)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2899528

Regards,

Dennis

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:24 PM
    Answerer
  • How do I get hold of the hotfix for Access 2013, please? We have the same thing going wrong with Access 2013.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:43 AM
  • Thank you Dennis. Long awaited indeed.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:33 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Good to hear they have fixed this in 2010, but as a few other in this post like myself, what about 2013 as it's the current product?

Do you know if it's planned to be looked at all?

Cheers,

Chris

Friday, November 14, 2014 8:57 AM
  • I have found that forms with unbound calculations that work flawlessly for months then suddenly stop working until clicked can be resolved by reinstalling MS Access...and without changing a single thing in the file or code. This works for me :-)
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:09 AM
  • Hi Chris, Alan, All,

There isn't a hotfix created for Access 2013 at this time. If you encounter this issue in 2013, I'd encourage you to open a support case for us to investigate further.

Regards,

Dennis

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 6:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Chris,

I opened an Access 2013 version of this case today with Dennis/MSFT.

I'll update here with any new info.

-Derek

Monday, December 22, 2014 10:10 PM
  • I am having the same issues here. Access 2010 with 2008 Server. One computer (the CEOs) is not showing the totals in the summation fields for year to date sales. The complaints usually come to me on Tuesdays after the Monday night updates are received onto the server. In the past our IT crew resets the server and that seems to only temporarily solve the problem.

F9 worked... temporarily. I'm glad I found this post to see this temporary fix. I am hoping for a permanent fix real soon from Microsoft.

Other issues are that some updates of records are not saved to be used the next day. I haven't been able to determine if this happens only on Tuesdays or not.

Importing or linking (either one) from Access 2010 to Excel 2010 is flawed. Excel does not recognize the Nz function. Many IIf statements are ignored or blank.

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Lynda

>>Other issues are that some updates of records are not saved to be used the next day. I haven't been able to determine if this happens only on Tuesdays or not.

I've seen edits go unsaved if the user closes the form while still on an edited record. You can use the form's Close event to force a save like this:

Private Sub Form_Close()
        If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False

End Sub

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Derek,

Any updates on a fix for this yet? We are experiencing the same issues with 2013 Access over RDP and constantly restarting the servers is not really an option..

-Nate

Friday, January 09, 2015 2:38 PM
  • We too continue to have problems with Access 2013 and RDP. 
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Nate,

The last response I received from Dennis/MSFT on 2015-01-13 was:

"...the product team has decided to initially accept this request and is in progress of investigating a solution."

So that looks like good news.

-Derek

Friday, January 16, 2015 7:52 PM
  • I am having the same problem with Access 2013 on a Windows 8 PC, have been for a long time, restarting always fixes the issue as well.Eagerly awaiting fix for Access 2013!
    Friday, February 13, 2015 12:22 AM
  • Facing the same issues exactly. Production servers can't be rebooted.
    Tuesday, March 03, 2015 7:04 PM
  • I've been told by Dennis (MSFT) that the patch for Access 2013 will be out this month (March).

I'm assuming that means this coming patch Tuesday.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 5:44 PM
  • Was just told by support to expect hot fix in the next 1-2 weeks. That it was in testing now. 
    Monday, March 09, 2015 4:07 PM
  • Hi All,

The update for Access 2013 has been released as part of the March updates and may be installed by running Windows Update or installing from the Download Center. A link to the download center is provided within the article. I've listed the various articles on this issue together below.

Overview:
    Access encounters multiple issues if the PC has been running more than 20 days
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2827138

Access 2013 Update:
    March 10, 2015 update for Access 2013 (KB2956176)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2956176

Access 2010 Update:
    Hotfix KB2899528 for Access 2010 November 11, 2014 (Access-x-none.msp)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2899528

Regards,
    Dennis

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:34 PM
    Answerer
  • I too have experienced this issue after loading reports in "Report View."  Calculated fields always update in "print preview."  By using the sendkeys command (SendKeys "{f9}") after opening the report, the calculated field issue has been resolved.  Using VBA "object".requery did not update the calculated fields.  F9 is the only thing that worked. I have not tried rebooting yet.  I wanted to try to resolve the issue prior to reboot given the reboot only offers a temporary fix. 
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:42 PM
  • I'm sorry to say that I've experienced the issue again after installing the hotfix on all five rdp hosts. Servers are completely up to date with all service packs, updates and hotfixes. I'm using Access Runtime 2010. Is anyone else experiencing this as well?
    • Edited by ha100 Saturday, March 21, 2015 3:11 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2015 3:11 PM
  • I don't think hot fixes update runtime versions. Check online to see if there is a later runtime version.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Monday, March 23, 2015 2:36 PM
  • We have had this same issue with Access 2007 when we migrated from 32bit to 64bit desktops.  I noticed in one post/reply that the user also was running 64 bit OS.  I believe this may have something to do with it but have not found a solution.  We have forms do a requery after load and sometimes that works, while other times we have to hit f9.

Maybe this will help all of us diagnose?

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Without having read the vast number of posts after the first few, this problem seems intermittent in Access 2007+.  For some reason, calculations just don't happen as expected.  

Ken Sheridan gives one good suggestion where he states that you can perform the calculations in the bound query, if that is what's being used to support the form. 

The other option is to add Me.Recalc in desired events.  In the OP's circumstance, he would add this command to the form's OnLoad event.  Note that doing a [Control].Requery doesn't seem to work, nor does a [Form].Requery.  [Form].Recalc is the only method that seems to work, aside from hitting [F9] on the keyboard.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:52 PM
  • I attempted to install KB2899528, linked in Dennis Wi's post, but the updater says "The update is already installed on this system". So I took a look through the history of updates and I do not see KB2899528. However, I do see KB2965300 has been installed (linked from KB2827138). In the description for KB2965300 it says it will fix a CPU usage issue in Access on seldom-restarted machines, but that it will re-introduce the issue that was fixed in KB2899528 (fields not filling with domain functions).

So is KB2965300 blocking me from installing KB2899528? I guess I'll find out in a month on the next patch Tuesday!

Cheers,

Adam

Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:38 PM
  • This issue has come up on two of our databases today, however we've also been experiencing a mass of errors and crashes on another database for a number of months.  Each user has their own front-end database which links to a number of SQL Server 2008 R2 databases, all hosted in a virtual server environment.  

We'll try the reboot solution later and also see if we can install the initial hotfix (typically KB2965300 has been installed which hasn't done a thing to help.)

Monday, October 05, 2015 11:08 AM
  • One of Microsoft's updates reintroduced the totaling problem that KB2899528 fixed on November 11, 2104.  KB2965300 says it will reintroduce the problem, but I don't know if it was part of the normal updates.  I did a bunch of updates on my machine one day a few months ago and have had problems ever since.  A few days ago before I started printing bills the totals were there.  I  went to create another bill and the totals were gone.  This was in a span of 15 minutes in the middle of the day.

Microsoft needs to fix this again.  Once KB2899528 has been installed it can't be installed again.  I don't see it in my list to uninstall to try again.

On some of our customers we setup SQL procedures to reboot the server once a week just to reduce the number of calls we get.

Monday, October 05, 2015 9:51 PM
  • Does anybody have any information regarding the root cause of this?  Leaving the machine running for 20 days seems to be the trigger but I'd like to know what effect this actually has on Access, or conversely what is different about Access since these updates that brings the issue into play.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 2:21 PM
  • There is a hot fix here. But it probably has already been fixed in the latest Office updates.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 4:55 PM
  • Well... we did a reboot on the two affected VM images last night and all of the users are up and running again.  We also rolled back the machines to the date of the last Windows update but I don't think this has any significance.

I guess there's still no clue as to why this happens?

• Proposed as answer by crzynewman Wednesday, October 14, 2015 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, October 07, 2015 8:33 AM
  • There is a hot fix here. But it probably has already been fixed in the latest Office updates.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

This hot fix says it will reintroduce the problem fixed last year, which is the missing totals.  Microsoft still needs to fix this problem.  The other day the totals were missing, then they came back for a bit and were gone again.  I finally had to do a reboot.
    Thursday, November 05, 2015 12:02 AM
  • Is there any update on a fix for this issue?

Having to reboot servers every 20 days is not ideal...

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 12:38 AM
  • Over 3 years since the original post, and still no permanent solution.

How is everyone else dealing with this? Scheduled reboots every 20 days or so?

• Proposed as answer by Wilo3 Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:09 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Wilo3 Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:52 AM
  • not a nice solution but it worked for me:

on a timer after 100ms call:

me.recalc

me.repaint

me.timerinterval=0

that's it, i hope this works for you too

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:11 PM
  • What about Office 2016? Does the problem still occur with this version?

Im considering upgrading our customers terminal server to Office 2016.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Reboot worked for me
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:27 AM
  • I did a database 'compact and repair' which reduced the disk size of my application file (which had the split form, along with other front end objects) to less than 50%. After closing and re-opening the DB, the problem of sluggish refresh went away.  The form now behaves as expected - with all records displayed immediately on open.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:54 PM
  • I did a database 'compact and repair' which reduced the disk size of my application file (which had the split form, along with other front end objects) to less than 50%. After closing and re-opening the DB, the problem of sluggish refresh went away.  The form now behaves as expected - with all records displayed immediately on open.
    It's a good idea to compact the front end regularly. Especially after doing a lot of development, big imports, big updates/deletes. Access tends to get bloated with old buffer space.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Friday, December 01, 2017 10:23 PM