none
Auto populate infopath form fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have a InfoPath form with a drop down list control. The data in this list is pulled from a standard sharepoint list that contains several other important pieces of information.

How do I get other fields in the info path form to auto populate with other values from the same sharepoint list. For example, if the user selects a project number in the form, the form fields for client name and project lead automatically fill in.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

XRS

Thursday, July 8, 2010 12:16 AM

Answers

• You just add a rule with actions for each field that sets the InfoPath field values with the Client Name and Project Lead values from the secondary data source.  The key is that when you build the action for each field that you filter each field from the secondary data source and set it to where the field in SharePoint is equal to the dropdown field in InfoPath.  That way, you tell InfoPath to find the correct row and use the corresponding values.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:39 AM

All replies

• You just add a rule with actions for each field that sets the InfoPath field values with the Client Name and Project Lead values from the secondary data source.  The key is that when you build the action for each field that you filter each field from the secondary data source and set it to where the field in SharePoint is equal to the dropdown field in InfoPath.  That way, you tell InfoPath to find the correct row and use the corresponding values.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

As always, thank you for the guidance!  Will attempt this and post results soon.

Lisa

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Would it be possible to see examples of this.  I have not used the rules and am finding them a little confusing.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:15 AM
  • Would it be possible to see examples of this.  I have not used the rules and am finding them a little confusing.

Examples all over my blog.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Clayton,

I am trying to do something very similar here.
    I have a customer list with last name, first name, address, city, state, zip, email and phone columns (this is a custom list, I have renamed "title" to "last name".

I have a separate orders custom list (title renamed to "order number")

I have a data connection set up to the customers list, and have selected first name, address, city, state, zip, email and phone in the connection.

When the submitter enters last name (dropdown from the  customers list), I want the infopath form to autopopulate the firstname, address, city, state, zip, email, and phone number fields into the form to be submitted.

I have seen several posts and the trick seems to be in filtering the field that gets specified in the entered in the value in the rule. That is where this is throwing me.  
    You state "The key is that when you build the action for each field that you filter each field from the secondary data source and set it to where the field in SharePoint is equal to the dropdown field in InfoPath.  That way, you tell InfoPath to find the correct row and use the corresponding values."

When I attempt this, I can select a last name, but I get the same first name value from the customer list, no matter which last name I choose, or when I change the filter, I don't get anything, so obviously my filter is not correct.  Can you elaborate your filter explanation a bit?  I am selecting the field value from the Secondary group, but not sure how to set up the filter conditions. I will see if I can find something similar on your blog also. Thank you.

Carl Frank - Consultant

• Edited by cgfrank Friday, November 23, 2012 9:41 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Found a good Auto populate YouTube video on the process of doing the auto-populate, BUT...my form library won't allow adding the "group" to the columns.

how do I get around this? Is it a permissions issue? (I am a site owner, not admin)

Marie Raymond

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Not that I can find and I just spent over 1 hour on your blog.
    Monday, July 31, 2017 5:14 PM