none
How to enable mailapp only for OWA(OutlookWebApp) not for outlook client RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I developed a mail app for exchange 2013. I tested it, it working fine. Here my concern is mailapp is showing on outlook client and OWA. Is there any way to show/enable mailapp only for OWA(OutlookWebApp)? i don't want to enable it for outlook

If anybody knows please help me.

Regards,

Ravi Nalla

Hewlett-Packard

ravinalla

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Ravi Nalla,

For now, we can’t have a mail app run in web only or client only. If it is a feature you want to have, I suggest you to submit a feedback to User Voice.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Ravi Nalla,

For now, we can’t have a mail app run in web only or client only. If it is a feature you want to have, I suggest you to submit a feedback to User Voice.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:35 AM
  • Hi Jeffrey-Chen,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to submit feedback on User Voice portal, but it is asking support Contract informataion. I don't have any support contract with MSFT. Is there any alternate way to submit feedback to Microsoft? Or any body having right to submit support case behalf of me?

Please help me.

Thanks in advance. 

Regards,

Ravi Nalla

EAsE(Email Archiving software for Exchange) Engineer

Hewlett-Packard

ravinalla

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:44 AM
  • HI Ravi,

You could also send feedback about Office Products by click the “smile” icon in the right-top corner of Outlook 2013:

Or submit it to Office Feedback.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hi Ravi Nalla,

As Jeffrey-Chen mentioned we can't have a mail app run in web or client only.  This is a good piece of feedback, could you tell me: How would this feature be useful for you and why you would only want to view a mail app in OWA?

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:14 PM
  • As others have already pointed out, this is important since Mail Apps currently can hardly do anything compared to an Add-in.

An obvious approach for enabling users/organizations with custom mailbox functionality would be to utilize an Add-in when the mailbox is accessed through Outlook so that a better more complete user experience can be provided when possible. Then offer the best available, though significantly limited, equivalent set of functionality through a Mail App when the mailbox is accessed through OWA.

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:27 PM
  • You’re absolutely right, mail apps today do not support the full extent of scenarios enabled by add-ins. However, we see the future of extensibility being in building apps for Office. As such, we are investing many resources in growing and evolving the platform at a fast pace, to enable more and more interesting scenarios. A critical goal of our platform and strategy, is that the same app runs across all Outlook clients. If we allowed developers to target individual clients, this would lead to a pretty confusing and unpredictable user experience – some apps users would see in both, Outlook and OWA, others in OWA only or Outlook only. Additionally, users may get pretty confused, when they turn off a mail app in OWA, but the add-in continues to appear in Outlook. Inevitably, targeting apps for individual clients would lead to fragmentation and painful and inconsistent user experience.

Ultimately, the right strategy forward is to build apps. Our guidance is to build an app to have as much functionality as is supported, and for other critical scenarios – to build a complementary Outlook add-in. As more and more functionality is added to apps for Office platform, the add-in should eventually be uninstalled and fully replaced by the app. In this case, users have a consistent experience across OWA and Outlook and still get full functionality, when necessary.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Please vote and comment on this suggestion:

UserVoice "Allow mail apps to be OWA only" and app wishes

(http://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-general/suggestions/5129669-allow-mail-apps-to-be-owa-only)

I would like to have these additions:

1) Custom commands on items which show up in the same command areas like reply, forward, mark unread and so on, e.g. toolbar above items and context menu. Would be nice if the visibility of commands could be based on property value rules like only show an item command if unread = true to avoid callbacks to the Office app just to decide if a command should be shown or not.

2) Custom commands in folders context menu (again like Ribbon customizations in Add-Ins)

3) Custom "navigation pages". Not sure how they are called, but in the top row of Outlook Web App you can switch between Mail, Calendar, People and Tasks. I would like to add a new item which allows me to show a custom app view. Would be nice if the standard folder hierarchie could be kept in a custom view or could be integrated as custom view control and just replace the content are where the items and the preview is shown.

4) Add custom options pages, i.e. when you click on settings -> options in OWA you see the option topics account, organize email and so on. I would like to add a new topic or integrate into an existing one like settings where you could add a new sub setting next to mail, calendar, regional, password.

5) An open function to open items or folders in a new window. In a browser that would open a new browser window and in Outlook that would open a new inspector or explorer window. Currently we are told to use window.open in apps which just does nothing in Outlook.

6) Please enhance the OWA URL syntax so that we can change the currently selected mailbox folder and/or open a new browser window with a given folder hierarchy.

7) Please add an option to enable/disable an app based on the host not only based the mailbox, i.e. show the app in the browser but not Outlook. If an Office-Addin already adds all functions to Outlook it is just a waste of vertical display area to show the app bar which hosts an app that can do less than an already installed Addin which integrates into the Ribbon and context menus.

Especially 1) and 2) would help a lot to keep the visual impact of apps small as you could avoid the app bar in the item view completely if you only use Office Apps which do not need to show content in an iframe. And the app host can take care to display the custom commands in the same style and theming as the standard commands.

• Edited by SvenC Friday, June 13, 2014 7:36 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 7:34 AM