none
Workflow stating completed, but didn't actually complete.

Question

• I created the following retention policy for a list in my SharePoint 2013 environment: 

The PADiscontinuedArchive workflow is shown below:

I initially started with the retention policy event Expires +1 years with a very similar workflow, except I didn't include any logging.  When I manually kicked off the retention policy, it processed all the list items properly and moved them to the archive like it was supposed to. I added the second retention policy and gave it a try, but it did not work.  I tried a few things and researched some ways to find out why it might have failed and that's when I came across a post about adding in Logging. 

Once the logging had been added in I kicked off the retention policy again to see where it might be "failing", and I say "failing" because the I get a "completed" status, but the list item is still in its original list.  When I look at the Workflow Information screen where it shows the logging comments, I see the "Starting Workflow with Modified Time: xx/xx/xxxx time" in the workflow history section.  The next event I see is the "Workflow Completed" event type and the message the item has been moved to the Archive list, but this is false as I still see it in the original list.  

I've tried looking in the ULS logs to see if there is any more information pertaining to this workflow, but I can't seem to find it.  I'm hoping someone can give me a hand in helping me figure out what I am doing wrong if point me in the direction where I can find more information on what happened in the workflow. 

Thanks,
    Trevor Bensen

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:17 PM

Answers

• Lately, it seems like everytime I post a question on TechNet, I figure out the solution, lol.

It did have something to do with the category not EXACTLY equaling "Discontinued", even though I spelled it correctly.  I'm guessing the "Choice" column that Discontinued is part of doesn't exactly equal Discontinued as a string.  I changed the workflow to "contains" Discontinued, and it worked as intended.

Thanks,
    Trevor Bensen

• Marked as answer by tbensen Friday, April 21, 2017 6:27 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Trevor- since it never logged the current item category, then I can only assume that the retention rule and the category = Discontinued combination was never true, so it ended the workflow. If you're sure that's not the case, are you running the workflow as system account?

cameron rautmann

Friday, April 21, 2017 5:15 PM
  • Lately, it seems like everytime I post a question on TechNet, I figure out the solution, lol.

It did have something to do with the category not EXACTLY equaling "Discontinued", even though I spelled it correctly.  I'm guessing the "Choice" column that Discontinued is part of doesn't exactly equal Discontinued as a string.  I changed the workflow to "contains" Discontinued, and it worked as intended.

Thanks,
    Trevor Bensen

• Marked as answer by tbensen Friday, April 21, 2017 6:27 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 6:27 PM