Problem removing Access 2003 Runtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I want to remove Access 2003 runtime from a server, so I can install Access 2010 runtime.

Unfortunately, the Uninstall is not working for me. Even running Fixit from the Microsoft site fails to uninstall it.

Any idea of how I should proceed from here?

Thanks

Simeon

===================

Fixit Results

Cannot install or uninstall a program     Not fixed     
    Looks for problems that can stop you installing and uninstalling a program

Corrupt Patch Registry keys     Fixed     
    Detects corrupt or missing patch cache

Problem registry key     Checked     
    Detects problems with the registry (Wow64 issue)

• Edited by SimeonD Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hey SimeonD,

One question. Since you said 2010 runtime was installed. Did it prompt you to run a the default application as 2010 runtime?

Ok...One way you could do this. Go into Control Panel - Program - Default Program - Associate a file type or protocol with a program.  ---- choose / click on the Access 2010 icon - on the right top "change program..." button - select the actual "Access 2010" if it is there, if not, click the "Browse" button and locate the folder for Access 2010 Runtime EXE. Click Ok when you're done.

This should run Access 2010 as the default application, instead of the default 2003.

Please note there are more Access icon that you may need to change as well if the default application is incorrect.

Since you cannot uninstall 2003, just leave it alone with the above help as suggested by Albert.

• Edited by AccessVandal Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:22 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by L.Hl Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:10 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

It sounds like your installation is corrupted. I suggest that you try a reinstall or repair of the 2003 version and then once completed try to uninstall again.

Should this not work, i think the new version will install without problems. but it may be worth searching for any old 2003 office folders and deleting these (assuming there are no 2003 office apps still to be used) before you start the new install. -Good luck.

Brian, ProcessIT- Hawke`s Bay, New Zealand

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Are you talking about the AccessRuntime.exe file? You don't need to "uninstall" it. Just go to the directory it's in and hit the delete key.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:18 PM
  • As i understand it there is no Accessruntime.exe. The executable is MSACCESS.EXE and is the same file as the full blown version of access...

Brian, ProcessIT- Hawke`s Bay, New Zealand

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:45 PM
  • Access Runtime and full version Access are two different things. Two different files which allow two different levels of authority. Acces Runtime does not allow anyone to perform development work or write macros or code. It just runs Access applications already developed under the full version. So you can't uninstall the full version of Access. Is that correct? Please advise which you are talking about.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:13 PM
  • True, but they install to the EXACT same location and all the files in both cases have the exact same name and location.

In other words you cannot install both Access 2010 and the Access runtime 2010 on the same machine (it is NOT possible since they are installed in the same location and contain the same dll’s etc. with the exception of the ability to design having been removed in runtime). For all purposes, they are the SAME install and SAME location.

So both Access 2010, and 2010 runtime are not allowed on the same computer. Only ONE version is allowed. And to “save” a whole bunch of responders here? Yes, in the “list” of installed applications you will see the runtime, but it is a “fake” entry if the full edition been installed! The path name and location of the runtime dll’s are identical to the full version in both cases!

So the install of full edition of Access and the runtime require the SAME location. And the same applies for un-installing the runtime, or full edition – all problems and issues are THE SAME problem!

The location of runtime and location of full edition are identical in nature and in location. So solutions to fix one or the other will apply here!

However, I agree with the other suggestions here – if one can NOT un-install the ms-access, then consider just leaving it alone and installing the newer runtime – the newer version will “hi-jack” the access file extensions, and I would just “leave” the old version alone – the cost of disk space is rather cheap and is far less cost than trying to un-install something that you cannot install! I had this problem in the past, and in place of spending a afternoon to fgure out how to un-install the older verison, I just left it alone and installed the newer  runtime.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:31 AM
  • Hi

I've tried nearly every method under the sun to install, including running a repair first, and all failed. This was on different clones of the same server, I've wasted a lot of time on it.

Maybe I should have gone with Albert Kallals suggestion first, and just left it alone!

I'm using Tony Toews AutoFe program though, and it seems to detect the Access 2003 runtime and tries to use that. Even though I have Access 2010 installed. I had a similar problem with another third party dotnet app.

As it looks like Access 2003 will be too difficult to remove, I might try changing those third party apps.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:25 AM
  • Hey SimeonD,

One question. Since you said 2010 runtime was installed. Did it prompt you to run a the default application as 2010 runtime?

Ok...One way you could do this. Go into Control Panel - Program - Default Program - Associate a file type or protocol with a program.  ---- choose / click on the Access 2010 icon - on the right top "change program..." button - select the actual "Access 2010" if it is there, if not, click the "Browse" button and locate the folder for Access 2010 Runtime EXE. Click Ok when you're done.

This should run Access 2010 as the default application, instead of the default 2003.

Please note there are more Access icon that you may need to change as well if the default application is incorrect.

Since you cannot uninstall 2003, just leave it alone with the above help as suggested by Albert.

• Edited by AccessVandal Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:22 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by L.Hl Tuesday, August 4, 2015 9:10 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 9:17 AM
  • Thanks everyone for the help. I was on holidays, but upon my return a colleague had figured out a solution. He the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Its no longer on the Microsoft site, he got it from

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/windows_installer_cleanup_utility,1.html

I would only use this if you were stuck, try stick with the official MS tools first.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 3:31 PM