none
Dynamically populate templates from columns RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have created a library with 3 different content types, each of which has a specific template. I have been looking for a way to automatically populate these templates from the library columns.

For instance, say that my library (PROJECT 1) is linked to the following content types (they are the different project deliverables) :

• -        Idea proposal (word document template)
    • -        Business Case (excel doc template)
    • -        Project charter (word document template)

These templates will have various common properties such as Project Name, Project Sponsor, and Budget. What I would like is that, once the 1<sup>st</sup> document has been dragged and dropped in the library (Idea proposal), the properties above cited are automatically populated in the other templates. This way it would avoid to write down again the same information about the project for every project deliverables.

Hence when you open your Business Case and Project charter, the basic information is already populated.

How can I create a link between the templates and data from the columns?

I have spent a few days now trying to find a solution, but was unable to find a suitable one.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You could add the property by editing the template.

1.Go to the library settings, choose the content type, click "Advanced Settings".

2.Click "Edit Template".

3.In the word, add your custom properties.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 24, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Hi Michael,

thanks a lot for the reply. 

These properties already were added in all of the templates (they are what I call "common properties" as they will be the same for every particular project. i.e Name of project, Sponsor, Benefits).
    What I am trying to do is once these properties are known, they are automatically filled inside the templates. So that the project managers don't have to copy paste the same information every time in each deliverable as they open the deliverable template.

Best regards,

Sophie

Friday, May 24, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Hi Sophie,

If you have added the common properties, these properties in the document would be automatically updated when you change the column value in the library.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 24, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi Michael, 

the actual point is to avoid changing the values in the library.

Say that I have 20 deliverables documents for 1 project in my library, I don't want the project manager to manually write down the name of the project + sponsor + other constant info for each row. 

The whole idea is to avoid unnecessary and repetitive manual inputs for the project managers.

Maybe there is a whole different approach to consider for my situation ?

Best regards,

Sophie

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:14 PM
  • In a nutshell, I know the name of my project, the sponsor, and the benefits it will bring. 
    How can I build all my templates with these infos pre-written, and thus avoid retyping them each time ?
    Friday, May 24, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Hi Sophie,

You could try to set default values for these common properties by editing the column.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Monday, May 27, 2019 2:07 AM