none
How to restrict document download in SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to restrict file downlaods from SharePoint document library.

Manish

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Manish,

Information Rights Management is the only way to protect the documents and don't allow user save document in his/her system. You need to setup IRM on your network and the enable it in Central Administration.

Check this MSDN article for more information:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/apply-information-rights-management-to-a-list-or-library-HA101790603.aspx

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Hi Manish,

I agree with Nico. Information Rights Management is the solution to protect your documents. It can restrict file downloading from SharePoint. Your documents can be automatically encrypted on upload to SharePoint, or encrypted once within SharePoint with batch processing, using a Rights Management solution. User who has the appropriate authentication can access the documents at any time from any devices and anywhere.

An article titled "Managing Information Risk for Microsoft SharePoint" may help you understand how rights management can protect sensitive information in SharePoint.

• Edited by Kate.Z Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:39 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:39 PM
  • Does IRM really not allow download of Documents from SharePoint 2013 ?

From my understanding only during download do the rights get applied .. Can anyone enlighten me ?

Thursday, March 3, 2016 10:37 AM