none
How to move databases from Web and Business Edition to the new Service Tiers?

Question

• The new Service Tiers are out and the disaster recovery and backup situation seems much improved from Web and Business Editions. What's the recommended approach to move production databases that I currently have on Web or Business Editions to being on one of the new Service Tiers? I don't see anything about this in the Sunset FAQ.

thanks,

Rory

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:47 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Very soon , we will be adding support to scale up and down your Web / Business database to all of the new service tiers using the management portal or using T-SQL Alter DB. Until then , if you want to preview the Basic and Standard edition database, Please create a new sql database server that supports the new service tiers and then create a new database of the service tier and use import/export service to export the data from your web/business edition database to a Basic/Standard tier database. You can also upgrade your web/business edition database to Premium service tier using the management portal.

Thanks again for your feedback

Syam

• Proposed as answer by Syam Kumar Nair Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rory PS Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:04 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 10:50 PM

All replies

• Yes it's a badly documented process. I'm about to launch an app on azure that currently use web sql, decided to have a look at the new service tiers following the announcement that web will be retired next year. 

Register for the sql preview programme

https://account.windowsazure.com/PreviewFeatures

Perform a db export to blob storage

use the + (new) button to create a new SQL db

select the import option

browser to your saved export

hopefully see the new tiers as options in dialog. 

The new tiers require a separate server to web. Can create this from the import dialog

I have 2 independent azure accounts, the above process worked for my test account but for the live account where I was also experimenting after success on the test account I hit an issue. I request to create a new server whilst importing. This step seems to work but then the actual import fails with this msg

"Error encountered during the service operation. 
     Could not import package.
     Error SQL72014: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 40823, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Invalid value provided for parameter EDITION. Please provide a value that is valid on server version 1.0.
     Error SQL72045: Script execution error. The executed script:
     CREATE DATABASE [$(DatabaseName)] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
     (EDITION = 'Standard', MAXSIZE = 1 GB)"

Tried a couple of times but no joy. Using the portal I can browse to the new sql server and it looks okay other than the list of ENABLED RESERVATION SIZES only has P1, P2, P3 I'm requesting a standard (s1) db not premium (P1, P2, P3). On my test server I see in this list also S1, S2. 

Now the server is created if I try an import I see the server in the list of available servers but when I select a tier of Basic or Standard the new server is grayed out, not so if I select Premium or the older Web or Business? Interestingly my current live sql server shows up as supporting the new premium?

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hello,

Very soon , we will be adding support to scale up and down your Web / Business database to all of the new service tiers using the management portal or using T-SQL Alter DB. Until then , if you want to preview the Basic and Standard edition database, Please create a new sql database server that supports the new service tiers and then create a new database of the service tier and use import/export service to export the data from your web/business edition database to a Basic/Standard tier database. You can also upgrade your web/business edition database to Premium service tier using the management portal.

Thanks again for your feedback

Syam

• Proposed as answer by Syam Kumar Nair Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rory PS Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:04 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 10:50 PM
  • I can help look at this in detail, if you can send me a email. I will need to know the SQL DB server names for me to investigate this. Email address is firstname.middlename@Microsoft.com , First Name - Syam , Middle name - Kumar , Last Name - Nair

• Proposed as answer by Syam Kumar Nair Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rory PS Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:04 PM
    Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:16 AM