none
SharePoint Designer Workflow Lookup RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a workflow called Workflow1 in SPD which starts when a new document is created. This workflow is attached to the Documents Library and it will assign a task to someone in Workflow Tasks List. In Workflow Tasks List I have another workflow called Workflow2 that will send an email to the document's creator when the task is complete. But when I try to get the creator's value in Workflow2, it didn't give me the right value. It shows ????? for the field in the email.

What does it mean?

In the Define Workflow Lookup, in the Lookup Details section I put:

Source: Documents

Field: Created By

In the Find the List Item section:

Field: Documents:Created By

Value:

I left Value blank because I don't know what to put in there.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:16 PM

All replies

• In my experience, when a workflow email shows ?????, that means the value is null.

This blog entry may help you use the lookup correctly: http://paulgalvin.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!1CC1EDB3DAA9B8AA!166.entry

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:13 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your quick response.

I tried using Collect data from this user but this is not what I wanted because I don't want to ask the person who is assigned to do this task to provide the creator's name.

Let me explain in more details:

I have an OOTB approval workflow (called Workflow1) attached to Documents Library. After the manager approves/rejects the document, Workflow1 ends. If manager approves the document then a task is assign to a different department. The task is in Workflow Tasks List. Workflow2 is a workflow done in SPD attached to this list and starts when the task is completed. Workflow2 just sends an email to the document's creator and the manager to let them know the task is completed. But when I tried to extract data from Documents:Created By in Define Workflow Lookup, it only returns null.

How can I get the right value?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:27 PM
  • I think that your problem is in the lookup, specifically the "find" part.  You wrote that you are doing this:

In the Define Workflow Lookup, in the Lookup Details section I put:

Source: Documents

Field: Created By

In the Find the List Item section:

Field: Documents:Created By

Value:

The Field value really needs to be the unique key to the document you want (normally the ID).

The Value would be "Created By".

Does that make sense?

Friday, September 28, 2007 1:58 AM