none
Use RunDLL32.exe to run a different programs .DLL file RRS feed

• Question

• Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I have an Access DB is on a Windows 2012 server shared via Citrix that stores info along with a link to related pictures. Users send an email, Outlook parses the email and creates a text file that Access imports and saves the attached pictures to a folder. The pictures and data are related in the DB.

Users are starting to attach .heic picture files. My server does not have a way to open them so I need to convert them from .heic to .jpg.

I have a program that can do this but I have to use their DLL to do this as my users cannot use the program (only the Access DB is shared via Citrix). 

How do I call RunDLL32.exe and then reference the conversion programs .dll with the parameters?

I have tried this:

Shell ("C:\Windows\System32\RunDLL32.exe CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll,HeicToJPEG 'C:\Users\pforms\Desktop\HEIC\20191016-18120272562_UploadPDFWordExcel_1.HEIC' '' 100 false,0")

but I get a message saying:

Title: RunDLL
    Message: There was a problem starting CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll The specified module could not be found

If I do this:

Shell ("C:\Windows\System32\RunDLL32.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\CopyTrans HEIC for Windows\CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll,HeicToJPEG 'C:\Users\pforms\Desktop\HEIC\20191016-18120272562_UploadPDFWordExcel_1.HEIC' '' 100 false,0")

I get a message saying:

Title: RunDLL
    Message: There was a problem starting C:\Program The specified module could not be found

I have the following from the vendor of the conversion software:

You can call CopyTrans HEIC DLLs by using the following instruction: <o:p></o:p>

* Convert HEIC image file to JPEG unicode version. This function is usually called using Rundll32 as RUNDLL32.EXE CopyTransHeicDecoder.dll,HeicToJPEG "d.heic" "" 100 false
    @param hwnd - calling process window handle, can be NULL
    @param hinst - module instance, can be NULL
    @param cmdline - parameters command line takes 4 params
    - source filename - source file name
    - dest filename - jpeg dest file name, if empty will be autogenerated from source name
    - jpegCompression - 0 to 100, default is M_DefaultJPEGCompression (93, iOS default)
    - overwrite - if destination file name is set, true to overwrite existing, false to fail
    @param nCmdShow - can be 0
    @returns S_OK on success, E_FAIL on fail; consult c:\Users\All Users\WindSolutions\CopyTransHEICforWindows\ logs for more info
    @example HeicToJPEGW(NULL, NULL, L"\"c:\\pics\\myheic long name.heic\" \"c:\\pics\\my new jpeg.jpg\" 93 false", 0)

STDAPI __export HeicToJPEGW(HWND hwnd, HINSTANCE hinst, LPWSTR cmdline, int nCmdShow);
    STDAPI __export HeicToJPEG(HWND hwnd, HINSTANCE hinst, LPSTR lpszCmdLine, int nCmdShow);<o:p></o:p>

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

I also tried this:

'https://sites.google.com/site/jrlhost/links/excelcdll
    '64 bit
    'File not found error (can't find C:\Program Files\CopyTrans HEIC for Windows\CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll)
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function HEIC Lib "C:\Program Files\CopyTrans HEIC for Windows\CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll" (ByRef Param As String)

'32 bit
    'Crashes Access
    'Private Declare Function HEIC Lib "C:\Program Files (x86)\CopyTrans HEIC for Windows\CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll" (ByRef Param As String)

Private Sub Command0_Click()
        HEIC "HeicToJPEG 'C:\Users\pforms\Desktop\HEIC\20191016-18120272562_UploadPDFWordExcel_1.HEIC' '' 100 FALSE"
    End Sub

Thanks!

• Edited by mbrad Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:47 PM more examples found on line
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:07 PM

All replies

• Probably

instead of

C:\Windows\System32\RunDLL32.exe

use

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RunDLL32.exe

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:11 PM
  • Hum, somewhat of a challenge  to figure this out. Is there a web site or link to the  library with additional information?

It not clear if this is managed code, or un-managed?

Is there a docs or download page?

It is a bit tough to suggest much more then what you shared so far. But then again, it not 100% clear as to the command options, (say using Shell()), or that of say referencing the .dll and using it directly from VBA.

I can't promise much, but unless someone here has used the actual library with Access, it is hard to suggest much more then what you shared. 

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:48 PM
  • I was able to get this code to run without errors but the image is not converted from .heic to .jpg. I have emailed the vendor.

Shell ("C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RunDLL32.exe C:\Program Files\CopyTrans HEIC for Windows\CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll,HeicToJPEG 'C:\Users\pforms\Desktop\HEIC\20191016-18120272562_UploadPDFWordExcel_1.HEIC' '' 100 false",0)

Not sure if anyone sees any "VBA" errors

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:37 PM
  • Try this, assuming you are dealing with 32 bit dll on 64 bit system -

Shell("C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Rundll32.exe ""C:\Program Files (x86)\CopyTrans HEIC for Windows\CopyTransHEICforWindows.dll"",HeicToJPEG C:\Users\pforms\Desktop\HEIC\20191016-18120272562_UploadPDFWordExcel_1.HEIC """" 100 false", 0)

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:33 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:31 PM