none
Append person/group field in SharePoint Online using Designer Workflow. RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I am having a requirement of adding a person to a person or group field in SharePoint Online through Designer workflow.

But unfortunately I am not able to append the person name which is taken as a parameter while initiating the workflow. Field is selected for Multiple users.

I have tried using different options in the workflow as string, login name, email addresses etc. But no luck.

Kindly provide inputs if someone have any knowledge about it.

Thank you.

Priyanka.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 12:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Priyanka,

To append users to Person and Group field in SharePoint, we can use workflow variables to store the existing users and the whole users after appending the user in the initiation parameter. And then use the workflow variable to update the Person and Group field.

The workflow can be set as below (I do not mention how to create the initiation parameter, you can click the button Initiation Form Parameters to add the parameter):

First Step: Create workflow variable to store existing users.

Second step: Create workflow variable to store all users after appending (do not miss the semicolon between the variable and parameter):

Third step: Update Person and Group field with the variable in second step:

Best regards,

Victoria 

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Victoria XiaModerator Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by ViviSP Thursday, January 7, 2016 5:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Priyanka100 Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:19 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:21 AM

All replies

• I am not sure if I understand you correctly.

Are you trying to update person or group field in list with some person name?Is the person name same all the time?

If yes you can use the "Set field in Current Item" action and start the workflow when Item is added.

If this is not what you are looking for, give us more details.

• Edited by ViviSP Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

User will put the person name while starting the workflow, then that name should be added to one of the person or group field in the list. The field already have multiple users present in the column. It just add a new member.

Hope I am clear now.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi Priyanka,

To append users to Person and Group field in SharePoint, we can use workflow variables to store the existing users and the whole users after appending the user in the initiation parameter. And then use the workflow variable to update the Person and Group field.

The workflow can be set as below (I do not mention how to create the initiation parameter, you can click the button Initiation Form Parameters to add the parameter):

First Step: Create workflow variable to store existing users.

Second step: Create workflow variable to store all users after appending (do not miss the semicolon between the variable and parameter):

Third step: Update Person and Group field with the variable in second step:

Best regards,

Victoria 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Victoria XiaModerator Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by ViviSP Thursday, January 7, 2016 5:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Priyanka100 Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:19 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Hi Priyanka,

How is everything going? Is there any update about this issue?
    If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.
    If you think my reply is helpful, you can mark it as answer and it will help other users who meet the same issue in this forum.

Best regards,
    Victoria

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Hi Victoria,

I am very thankful for your help and I apologize for my unprofessional behavior.

Lately I have not been getting time for this issue, but now I have tested with your solution.

Firstly I was getting some issues with the solution you provided as "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information."

But after restarting the designer and publishing again it worked.

Thank you.

Priyanka

Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Please mark Victoria's as answer if it helped you so some one else who land in this page can benefit.

• Edited by ViviSP Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:32 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:32 PM