Azure MFA and one time pass codes RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings ALL,

When a user enrolls into Azure MFA cloud, we inform them to select the Mobile App as the verification method instead of sms, phone, etc. We use a Cisco ASA 5506 for our firewall and have it configured to authenticate against an on-premise NPS setup for Azure MFA. This works well. The user connects via the anyconnect client and the user must approve the connection on their phone. Now for the problem.

Some users travel frequently and while in flight, would like to use VPN. Since the phones are in airplane mode, the user will never receive the prompt to authenticate. Is it possible to use the passcode generated on the phone as an alternative method for authentication?

My ASA is old enough that it may require upgrading to gain access to this feature but before I do, I need to confirm if its possible to configure Azure to accept the passcode if the mobile push option is unavailable?

Any input much appreciated.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:15 PM

Answers

• Found the answer in this link. MFA cloud doesnt support OATH fallback

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/1534bf79-6356-4fab-926d-b1f650457978/mfa-cloud-server-fallback-to-oath?forum=windowsazureactiveauthentication

• Marked as answer by Vasco365 Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:32 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:32 PM

All replies

• Found the answer in this link. MFA cloud doesnt support OATH fallback

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/1534bf79-6356-4fab-926d-b1f650457978/mfa-cloud-server-fallback-to-oath?forum=windowsazureactiveauthentication

• Marked as answer by Vasco365 Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:32 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:32 PM
  • Thank you for your contribution Vasco365. We appreciate you taking time to share the solution with the community . 

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!!

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:54 PM
    Owner