none
Make ACCDE - not working correctly again. RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone seeing issues creating and running an accde?

Seems like the accde that gets created is missing some of the checked references.

ACCDB References

ACCDE References, which are normally unavailable to view in my ACCDE

If this post answered or helped you find the answer to your question, please mark it as such for other Forum users knowledge.

Friday, November 13, 2020 1:48 AM

Answers

• @AccessVandal

You cannot view references in an ACCDE file in 365 either.

If you review what was written earlier, the OP stated that the fact that references were visible confirmed that an ACCDE file hadn't been created.

Each new version of Access is less tolerant of 'coding errors' than previous versions. It is therefore not uncommon to do minor recoding when updating to a newer version of Access. In general, it is a good thing as it means applications are less likely to crash due to 'sloppy coding'

• Marked as answer by DriveEV Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:38 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2020 1:12 PM
  • To debug this, follow these steps:

1. Create a new standard module. Let's call it modReferences.

2. Write 1 public sub, say DumpReferences, iterating over the References collection, and writing property information to the Immediate window using Debug.Print
    Be sure to use only fully qualified object names, so not "Dim ref as Reference" but rather "Dim ref as Access.Reference", etc.
    Note that ref.FullPath is not always available, so use On Error Resume Next.

3. Run the accde, open the VBA window with Alt+F11, and enter DumpReferences in the immediate window and hit enter.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Monday, November 16, 2020 3:02 PM
  • @DriveEV

I have a slightly newer version of A365 than you: 16.0.13328.20334 (32-bit) which is A365 version 2010 (Oct 2020 update). So I've already had the version you are using without any issues.

I have made multiple ACCDEs over the past few months and again today. Most of these contain more than 4 VBA references. In one case, it contains 12 references.

I see no evidence that there is a bug in the Make ACCDE process ...and yes I remember the query is corrupt issue only too well as well as other similarly catastrophic bugs both recently and even back as far as Access 2003 SP3.

If your error handling is not sufficiently robust, code can fail in an ACCDE that works in an ACCDB.

In addition, ACCDE creation can fail for a number of reasons. For example do you have any 'empty' code procedures - header & footer line only with nothing between. If so, ACCDE creation will fail. 

Having said that recent versions of Access should delete any such empty code procedures. Older versions did not do so.

The point about newer versions of Access being less tolerant of code that would have been acceptable in older versions is well documented. It is not my 'coding error' theory. However, it was referring to major updates like 2003/2007/2010/2013/2016/2019 ... rather than the monthly updates with 365.

Monday, November 16, 2020 6:47 PM

All replies

• "ACCDE References, which are normally unavailable to view in my ACCDE"

- How are you viewing the references normally unavailable?

Friday, November 13, 2020 1:30 PM
  • That's my point.  Something is wrong with "Make ACCDE".

If this post answered or helped you find the answer to your question, please mark it as such for other Forum users knowledge.

Friday, November 13, 2020 1:59 PM
  • ah - now I get it...

my 365 Access is: Version 2002 (Build 12527.21236 Click-to-Run)

cannot get into VBA window via an accde file

this machine updated last night, though I don't know if it updated Office but it is the most recent... check your version....

Friday, November 13, 2020 2:34 PM
  • That's interesting about 365.

Can't do this on 2000 MDE. The References is faded out.  Odd that it can in 365.

I had lots of trouble with 365. Maybe it was due to references as well. Had to do minor recoding from 2013 to 365 where it had no problems in 2000 to 2007.

Had to install 2013 runtime for the user. Got to skip 365 I guess.

Monday, November 16, 2020 8:34 AM
  • @AccessVandal

You cannot view references in an ACCDE file in 365 either.

If you review what was written earlier, the OP stated that the fact that references were visible confirmed that an ACCDE file hadn't been created.

Each new version of Access is less tolerant of 'coding errors' than previous versions. It is therefore not uncommon to do minor recoding when updating to a newer version of Access. In general, it is a good thing as it means applications are less likely to crash due to 'sloppy coding'

Monday, November 16, 2020 1:12 PM
  • The sloppy coding should be caught in the ACCDB file and normally is with VBA errors.  If the code is good enough to pass ACCDB on the fly execution it should also pass ACCDE creation.  I do not agree with your 'coding error' theory.  I feel there is a bug in the Make ACCDE of their latest update.  I also feel the bug is related to selection of References.  I'm sure we'll see more posts related to this bug in the weeks to come.  Their solution is always revert back to an older version that works while we fix the issue.

Remember from December 2019:  Access error: "Query is corrupt"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/access-error-query-is-corrupt-fad205a5-9fd4-49f1-be83-f21636caedec?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

• Edited by DriveEV Monday, November 16, 2020 2:29 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2020 2:24 PM
  • To debug this, follow these steps:

1. Create a new standard module. Let's call it modReferences.

2. Write 1 public sub, say DumpReferences, iterating over the References collection, and writing property information to the Immediate window using Debug.Print
    Be sure to use only fully qualified object names, so not "Dim ref as Reference" but rather "Dim ref as Access.Reference", etc.
    Note that ref.FullPath is not always available, so use On Error Resume Next.

3. Run the accde, open the VBA window with Alt+F11, and enter DumpReferences in the immediate window and hit enter.

Monday, November 16, 2020 3:02 PM
  • Hello Tom thanks for your reply.  Would your test validate my theory that Make ACCDE is not allowing more than four References?

Also why would the ACCDE that gets created allow me to see the References?  Normally those are hidden from view in an ACCDE file.

• Edited by DriveEV Monday, November 16, 2020 4:12 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2020 4:09 PM
  • @DriveEV

I have a slightly newer version of A365 than you: 16.0.13328.20334 (32-bit) which is A365 version 2010 (Oct 2020 update). So I've already had the version you are using without any issues.

I have made multiple ACCDEs over the past few months and again today. Most of these contain more than 4 VBA references. In one case, it contains 12 references.

I see no evidence that there is a bug in the Make ACCDE process ...and yes I remember the query is corrupt issue only too well as well as other similarly catastrophic bugs both recently and even back as far as Access 2003 SP3.

If your error handling is not sufficiently robust, code can fail in an ACCDE that works in an ACCDB.

In addition, ACCDE creation can fail for a number of reasons. For example do you have any 'empty' code procedures - header & footer line only with nothing between. If so, ACCDE creation will fail. 

Having said that recent versions of Access should delete any such empty code procedures. Older versions did not do so.

The point about newer versions of Access being less tolerant of code that would have been acceptable in older versions is well documented. It is not my 'coding error' theory. However, it was referring to major updates like 2003/2007/2010/2013/2016/2019 ... rather than the monthly updates with 365.

Monday, November 16, 2020 6:47 PM
  • Validate? You are about to find out.

Indeed normally they are hidden - the References menu option is disabled. Why you see it differently? I don't know. Most why questions are hard to answer.

Monday, November 16, 2020 7:34 PM
  • isladogs52,

Ahhh..... If I knew someone would say that.

Saddly isladog52... not in my case.

My point isn't about poor coding or coding error. It's that old version of code that will work from 95 to 2007 of Access but not in 2013.

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 2:09 AM
  • Hi DriveEV,

Not sure it will be relevant. (It is just to clear things up.) It seems like you aren't using late binding. In my Access 2000, late binding seems to work even up to 2010. (just recalled that the user last version was 2010). Until the new version 365 and 2013, one line of my code just failed.

Anyway, 365 Access is still buggy. It seems like 365 Access is not loading up references correctly. As Tom pointed out, References view is disabled in ACCDE. Not sure why you could view it?

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 3:48 AM
  • isladogs52,

Ahhh..... If I knew someone would say that.

Saddly isladog52... not in my case.

My point isn't about poor coding or coding error. It's that old version of code that will work from 95 to 2007 of Access but not in 2013.

Hi AccessVandal

Not sure I understand the first two sentences of your reply.

My comments were not in any sense meant to be a criticism. I have also had code that worked in earlier 'more tolerant' versions but which needed 'tweaking' in more recent versions which have gradually become more stringent in what is acceptable.

• Edited by isladogs52 Tuesday, November 17, 2020 6:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2020 6:56 PM
  • I would like to thank everyone for their help with my post.

I would like to apologize to Microsoft for insinuating their latest update broke Make ACCDE.  After thorough investigation (deleting each form one at a time then running Make ACCDE) I found a button on a form with an empty LostFocus event vba sub.  I am not sure how that happened but once I deleted the empty LostFocus vba sub on that button, the Make ACCDE worked correctly.  Once again thanks to all that helped.

Suggestion to Microsoft:  Have Access send a warning that returns the location of empty sub.

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:36 PM
  • Pleased to hear you've solved your problem.

Interesting that it was indeed an empty procedure that caused the issue for you.

Good luck with your project from now on.

• Edited by isladogs52 Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2020 9:22 PM
  • Empty procedures have been causing issues for quite some time now, but that should not break things, yet it does.  This is, and remains, clearly a bug that Microsoft needs to address.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 11:52 AM
  • I was unaware that an empty vba sub could cause any problem at all......  

I know in the past I have deactivated all the code in a sub with '  but left the code there, at least for awhile, just in case.... is that also considered an empty sub?

an empty sub is not a coding error really - at least not in my definition of things... and have never seen it cause an error - wonder if there is some other factor involved.....

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 12:48 PM
  • I was unaware that an empty vba sub could cause any problem at all......  

I know in the past I have deactivated all the code in a sub with '  but left the code there, at least for awhile, just in case.... is that also considered an empty sub?

an empty sub is not a coding error really - at least not in my definition of things... and have never seen it cause an error - wonder if there is some other factor involved.....

An empty sub causes no issues in an ACCDB/MDB file. However as mentioned previously they do prevent ACCDE files being created (I've not checked with MDE). As ACCDE files will only run in the 'bitness' they were created in, the only even vaguely sensible explanation I can think of is that an empty procedure cannot be compiled for either bitness so Access throws a 'wobbly' and the process of creating an ACCDE fails without any explanation.

It is good practice to compile any project yourself before trying to create an ACCDE. As recent Access versions remove empty procedures when you compile the project, it could be said that MS have dealt with the issue as ACCDE creation should then work.

EDIT: Just tested your question:

A procedure with deactivated code or just comment lines isn't removed when the project is compiled. Creating an ACCDE works fine

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:14 PM
  • thanks for the follow isla
    Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:20 PM
  • isladogs52 thanks for that info.  I just tested Debug/Compile and it did get rid of my test empty sub.

One would think if Make ACCDE has problems with empty subs, MS would include a pre-compile in the Make ACCDE routine to get rid of them before the ACCDE gets created.  I guess that would make too much sense.

Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:11 AM
  • Considering this is an issue that has been around for over two years and was flagged to them there is simply no excuse for it still paying an issue today.

The older versions of office are simply more stable.  Each new release send to simply introduce new problems.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2019 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Thursday, November 19, 2020 1:23 AM