none
CMU Sphinx and Win IoT / Keyword spotting RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone successfully built CMU Sphinx (http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net) to work with Windows IoT or know of anyone who has? Specifically, I'm looking for a keyword spotting solution that works with Win IoT.

Given all the discussions regarding speech recognition, I'd imagine other folks are looking for a keyword spotting solution as well.

Does anyone know of any solutions? If not, I may look into trying to build it for Win IoT. (If anyone is interested in helping, let me know!)

Thanks,

Mike

• Edited by mrutt-wl Monday, February 29, 2016 12:38 PM title change and font fix
    Monday, February 29, 2016 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi mrutt-wl,

I think you might have better luck asking at cmusphinx forum.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 8:36 PM
  • Hello,

have you managed to get this up and running? I`ve invested the last two days to build a c#-wrapper with swig and implement an application that uses pocketsphinx through that wrapper on windows (x86 nad x64). On top of that I`ve rebuilded to native dlls form ARM (32 and 64bit). But when I try to run this on an raspberry 2 with windows iot and access the pocketshpinx api the first time, the application just terminates after some seconds (what makes it really hard to debug).

The next step is to try it on an raspberry 3... perhaps that will change something.

Have you made any progress you can share? If you whant, I can share my work with you (c# wrapper and native assemblies), so we can join our forces to bring this up and running.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:52 AM
  • Hi Cobra,

Mike hasn't signed into the Forums for 2 years.  Likely you are best to jump on the forum I note above as there is quite a bit of traffic there and you are more likely to find assistance in that venue.

Sincerely,

IoTgirl

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:15 PM
  • Hi IotGirl,

on the CMU-forum there is only one post about Windows IOT (from mike) with only one answer "try linux!"... :-)

So I think I`m alone with that :-)

Your account name suggest that you are mainly focused on (Windows) IOT... do you have any hint how to debug a dotnet core app that just terminates while calling a native method? I think I`ve made a mistake while compiling the native dlls for ARM, but I have now clue where to start without any error message / stacktrace

Carl

Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Hi Carl,

I moved from Windows IoT To Bing Maps about 2 or so years ago but a termination generally means your code is touching something the OS thinks it shouldn't :)  Are you running in debug?  Debugging across the native /managed boundary has always been a challenge.  In CE we loaded both debuggers but maybe you can build a native app to test your native library?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, October 18, 2019 9:17 PM
  • Hi IOTGirl,

the time I wrote the last post, I used a release version of the dll... now I`ve switched to a debug version and now I get an exception instead of crashing the process... but the error says "Error while loading xxx.dll -> NOT ENOUGH MEMORY). At the first call no matter with method I call.

Are their any c++ project settings I have to use when compiling for ARM?

PS: Of course the system has more than enough memory (> 500MB) to load the dll.

Thanks

Carl

Monday, October 21, 2019 11:59 AM
  • Hi Carl,

You may be hitting a usage watermark. 500MB of RAM does sound like a lot though. Let me see if I can reach out to someone who might know far more than I.

UPDATE: A member of the IoT Team has the following guidance "I think the memory error is a red herring. It is more likely a loader issue. I'd recommend turning on loader snaps and seeing what happens - likely not linking to onecore.lib"

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:06 PM