none
Windows 10 IoT Core Pricing RRS feed

• Question

• Dear community,

as I'm developing hardware with my team, I'm wondering whether and if so, how much Windows 10 IoT Core for commercial purposes cost.

Does anybody know the pricing informations about Windows 10 IoT Core?

Thank you!

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

The answer to your question is VERY dependent on the featureset you plan for your device.  I highly recommend working with a reseller to understand your requirements.  For a high level of guidance, check out http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/windows-iot as it discusses why you would choose each SKU.

For information specific to IOT Core, you can follow the steps here: https://www.windowsforiotdevices.com/

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:00 PM
  • I thought Windows 10 IoT Core was free now?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:33 PM
  • Hi Sean,

While there is no license fee for IOT Core, there are other engineering costs that should be factored in as well as an understanding of the feature set needed for the device.

I would practice caution with the word "Cost" as there is more than a license fee that enters into that final number.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:42 PM
  • @IoTGirl exactly

what if you want to build an image by yourself? you would need an MSDN account that costs a lot of money so even if you don't have to pay for Windows IoT Core you could have to pay for other things...

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:51 PM
  • @cyberhome

This extends to the challenges you have discussed as well, Andre.  Some chipsets just don't offer the bandwidth for some solutions so hardware cost may be a factor as well.  Also some hardware platforms may have a feature but the OEM does not implement it for IOT Core SKUs making it essentially unavailable.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:03 PM