What are the consequences of deleting a user using stsadm -o deleteuser? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

what are the consequences of deleting a user using stsadm -o deleteuser:

this in the case a user leaves the company and is still present in the userinfo table.

will the metadata related to this user still be present in the contentdb or will it be deleted with the user. things like created/modified by...

Thanks.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 26, 2010 3:17 PM Title revised. The original "Stsadm Deleteuser Question" just said in what area the question was.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When you delete a user from a site collection, the metadata related with it will be still there as normal.

Or the existed files without proper information will be weirder. I suggest you to backup the users’ profiles as archived files.

For stsadm -o deleteuser, I think it should have the same impact with the UI. Please give a try to test it again. And check it from your site > actions > site settings > people and groups > all people in the left navigation.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:31 AM

All replies

• Question 2: what are the differences between useredit.aspx?ID=userid et stsadm -o deleteuser???

when I use the useredit.aspx to delete the user the user is deleted immediately from the site collection whereas when I use stsadm it is not. there is probably a job which deletes the user later on !!!!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:39 AM
  • well looks like stsadm -o deleteuser is not even working in my environment. no changes are made !!!
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

When you delete a user from a site collection, the metadata related with it will be still there as normal.

Or the existed files without proper information will be weirder. I suggest you to backup the users’ profiles as archived files.

For stsadm -o deleteuser, I think it should have the same impact with the UI. Please give a try to test it again. And check it from your site > actions > site settings > people and groups > all people in the left navigation.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:31 AM
  • did run the stsadm -o deleteuser, checked using UI (your site > actions > site settings > people and groups > all people ). user is still there ! I'm using SP2 June 2009 updates.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 8:51 AM