FileSystem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are migrating from SQL Server 2016 which is on ReFS/64k block size. We have OLTP and OLAP system ranging from 10 to 15TB sizes.

What is the best practice? Shall i continue same ReFS with 64k block size or any other recommendation?

Thanks

• Edited by biltz Sunday, August 9, 2020 10:37 AM
    Sunday, August 9, 2020 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi biltz,

Installing SQL Server on computer( Windows (Server) OS ) with the NTFS or ReFS file formats is recommended.

The Resilient File System (ReFS) is Microsoft's newest file system, performance and scalability are certainly one of the strengths of ReFS, being able to manage large amounts of data very quickly and optimally.

It is recommended to consult a professional IT Infrastructural Admin.

Best regards,
    Cris

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, August 10, 2020 2:43 AM
  • Thanks

What about the Block size? 

• Edited by biltz Monday, August 10, 2020 7:26 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 7:26 AM
  • Hi blitz,

Check if the following article is  helpful:
    Cluster size recommendations for ReFS and NTFS

Best regards,
    Cris

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !

Monday, August 10, 2020 7:45 AM
  • What about the Block size? 

I know nothing about ReFS, but I can't see any reason not to stick to 64 kB.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, August 10, 2020 7:48 AM
  • What about the Block size? 

I know nothing about ReFS, but I can't see any reason not to stick to 64 kB.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Yes correct you should format the disk with at least 64 KB size, do not go with 4 KB. Although lot of blogs say their is hardly and difference, go with 64K.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, August 10, 2020 1:11 PM
  • SQL Server reads extents = 8 pages, page = 8 KB => 64 KB at once, therefore 64 KB is the best block size.

See Pages and Extents Architecture Guide => Extents

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, August 10, 2020 1:45 PM
  • I would monitor for actual IO sizes, particularly writes. Is this file system replicated? if so, and actual writes are much less than 64K , i.e., 8K , I think the entire 64K must be replicated?

jchang

Monday, August 10, 2020 2:32 PM
  • Hi biltz,

Is there any update on this case? Was your issue resolved? 

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cris

Friday, August 14, 2020 1:02 AM