none
custom backlight control RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

could you please advise how backlight control is implemented in Win10 IoT Core? Desktop Windows relies on BIOS ACPI implementation, how is it done here?

More specifically, I have PWM backlight control implemented for custom iMX based board that I would need to make a standard method for backlight control for all apps. Please advise how it could be done.

Best regards, Gennady

Monday, October 7, 2019 5:41 AM

Answers

• Hello Gennady Kuznetsov,

There is no standard backlight control API on Windows IoT Core. Windows drivers on Windows IoT Core are not power aware therefore Windows can not control devices the way it normally would.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:09 AM

All replies

If you are using Raspberry Pi 3 with Official Raspberry Pi 7" Display, you can use I2C registers to control the backlight, but that DSI connector does not support I2C. You need use the jumper cables, connect SCL/SDA on the raspberry GPIO header to the horizontal pins marked SCL/SDA on the display board.

If you are using other board, you need to develop the controller(driver) yourself, and implement  the interface as a library for other application. You can refer to Driver deployment.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Hello Michael,

thank you for your reply!

I already have backlight control implemented with PWM driver. The question is whether there is a standard display backlight control API similar to the one on standard Windows - similar to IOCTL_PANEL_SET_BRIGHTNESS that ends up in Monitor.sys and finally in BIOS ACPI methods. If there is such API, the next question would be how to include my PWM driver there.

Please advise.

Best regards, Gennady

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 11:34 AM

There is no standard backlight control API on Windows IoT Core. Windows drivers on Windows IoT Core are not power aware therefore Windows can not control devices the way it normally would.

Best Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Thank you Michael!
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:13 AM