Consequences of AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState NotOptimized RRS feed

• Question

• I am a bit confused on this point.  Does setting the state of AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState of an attribute to NotOptimized affect the performance of a user defined hierarchy if that attribute is used in it?

From my reading it seems that it shouldn't.  In my interpretation this property is used to control whether or not accessing the members using this attribute only is what is affected.  If I have a user defined hierarchy with an attribute in it then as long as the members are accessed through that hierarchy it should still be optimized.  Am I correct on this?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris ,

If you Set AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState is NotOptimized for any attribute then basically the Aggregations will not be designed for that particualt attribute .Again if you use that attribute in your user hierarchy then it will slow down your performance and sometimes you may get wrong results while using AGGREGATE() functions in MDX.

So if you are using that attribute in user hierarchy then Set AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState to "Fully Optimized".

Hope this helps...

Nishant ...

Monday, September 29, 2008 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Basically when 'AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState' is 'fully optimized' SSAS 2005 builds indexes for the hierarchy to improve query performance. 'NotOptimized' means that indexes are not built. This property setting will be significant if there are non-key attributes in the hierarchy with high cardinality(very uncommon or unique).This property setting also affects the partition processing.Infrequently used attributes can have the value 'NotOptimized'. Hope this explains.

Thanks

Bidyut

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Thanks for you response but I'm still confused.  Does that mean my user defined hierarchy will suffer from them not being Optimized? 

What this comes down to is that I'm having problems processing my cube and I'm trying to do everything possible to get it to process.  I get out of memory errors when processing the dimension.

Friday, September 12, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Hi Chris,

The user defined hierarchy will be affected for not being optimized. Can you post the out of memory error message please?

Thanks
    Bidyut
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:51 AM
  • Hi Chris ,

If you Set AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState is NotOptimized for any attribute then basically the Aggregations will not be designed for that particualt attribute .Again if you use that attribute in your user hierarchy then it will slow down your performance and sometimes you may get wrong results while using AGGREGATE() functions in MDX.

So if you are using that attribute in user hierarchy then Set AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState to "Fully Optimized".

Hope this helps...

Nishant ...

Monday, September 29, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Ok.  So the only way to use attributes in a user hierarchy but not have the attributes default hierarchy visible is to set the visible property to false.  However, doing this really doesn't help with performance of processing the cube.  Is there a way to improve the performance of processing by not building the default attribute hierarchy but to build the user hierarchy fully optimized?

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:50 AM
  • There is no property called "AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState" for user hierarchy.Set the "AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState" to "Fully Optimized" for all the attributes available in user hierarchy and Set

"AttributeHierarchyVisible" to false for all the attibutes used in user hierarchy.After doing this user can only see the user hierarchy not the attibute hierarchies....But still you can use attibute hierarchies in MDX calculations ......

Hope this helps ....

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Hi all,

I have several attributes in my dimension, some are used in hierarchies, others have only one purpose: sorting. Normally one would set AttributeHierarchyEnabled to false for sorting attributes, but due to the fact that if I do that, my local cubes don't have sorting anymore, that's not an option for me. I can only set the AttributeHierarchyVisible property to false.

Since we have some performance issues, I am optimizing my complete SSAS solution.

So my question is, what should the AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState be set to for these sorting attributes? Do you happen to know what the impact would be?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Tom
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:30 PM
  • So, what did you finally do for those sorting attributes?

Thanks,

Amandine

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:33 PM
  • Guys,

I am getting this Warning message:

Either disable the attribute hierarchy or set the AttributeHierarchyOptimizedState property to NotOptimized for non-key attributes that have 1000000 or more members and a cardinality within 95% of the key attribute.

Somebody, please can you explain?

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Thursday, November 22, 2018 12:50 AM