Consequences of Upgrading RRS feed

• Question

• Consequences of Upgrading
    =========================

I currently develop Windows and Web applications using Visual Studio 2005 (VB). Several of my current Windows Apps incorporate Crystal Reports. Although I own the full version of CR10, I ended up having to use the VS2005 built-in version of CR due to distribution errors. I've been struggling to create a Setup & Deploy package that creates a usable installation - I kept getting a variety of errors associated with the CR environment. Recently I found the new merge module (CrystalDecisionsRedist2005_x86) and after getting rid of all the detected dependencies and older merge modules it looks like things may be working (At Last!)

Now, I want to try the new CrystalReports.com but, of course, it indicates that I'll need to upgrade to CR XI Rel 2. Here are my questions/concerns:

- If I upgrade to XI will my VS2005 VB projects need to be re-built to use XI and if so, what merge module(s) is required for Setup/Deploy to create usable install packages?

- To use CrystalReports.com do I just re-run my existing reports (built in CR10) under XI and use those new copies?

- Once XI is installed, should I convert my VS 2005 apps to use XI instead of the built-in CR? Exactly how do I do that.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:50 AM

Answers

• To start, it looks like you actually have two questions, not one.

The first revolves around using CrystalReports.com and the second is about upgrading an existing application to XI (r2).

Just to clarify, the current version of CrystalReports.com is a fantastic place to host your Crystal Reports on the web. It provides you with an online repository where you can upload .rpt files (.xls, .ppt and .pdf are available with the Premium edition) and share those files with other people. The current version of CrystalReports.com does not have an api that you can program against. It is an online repository that does not interact with other applications (yet). What this means for you is that if you wanted to use CrystalReports.com you could, in theory, purchase a license to XIr2 and use CrystalReports.com without installing Crystal Reports XI or changing your application.

As for what you have to do with your current reports to have them work on CrystalReports.com, simply upload your version 10 report and CrystalReports.com will automatically upgrade the report to the most recent report format.

Your second question is about upgrading to Crystal Reports XI, and what you have to do to your application once you have installed XIr2. There's a couple of things here, I'll just touch on each of them -- post back if you get stuck on any single part.

Merge Modules

The list of Merge Modules for Crystal Reports XIr2 can be found in the product documentation. For versions prior to XIr2, check out the VS2005 documentation. All of these merge modules can be downloaded from our customer support page.

Upgrading Reports

Upgrading your reports from an earlier version is a very straightforward process.

1. Install XIr2
    2. Open an existing report in XIr2
    3. Select File >> Save

That's it.

The New Report Format

From our Customer Support site:

Reports created in Crystal Reports XI can be opened and saved in Crystal Reports 10 and 9; however, functions exclusive to Crystal Reports XI will not be available in Crystal Reports 10 or 9. If you have a Crystal Reports XI report that uses Crystal Reports XI exclusive features, saving it in Crystal Reports 10 or 9 will alter report settings.

So you should still be able to open and use your reports in earlier versions of CR, if need be. (I'd still recommend making a backup copy before converting any reports, just to be on the safe side).

Upgrading your Application

OK. Try this:

1. Close all existing applications
    2. Install Crystal Reports XI
    3. Reboot your machine
    4. Back-up your existing project
    5. Open your existing project in Visual Studio
    6. Update your existing merge modules to the more recent versions

Your applications should mostly work at this point. CR will upgrade a lot of the references and report formats for you. What it will not do is update your merge modules. You will have to do that manually.

For more information on migrating your application to XI, check out the migration section on DevZone.

Other Side Effects

There are two, potentially significant, side effects of installing Crystal Reports XI on to a machine with Visual Studio 2005.

First, support for the .Net 2.0 framework was added in Crystal Reports XI release 2. If you purchase Crystal Reports direct from Business Objects you will get XIr2 for sure. I just mention this because if you are really unlucky with a third party retailer, you may accidentally end up with a copy of XI rather than XIr2. It probably won't happen.

Second, Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 support 64-bit processors. Crystal Reports XIr2 does not. There's some more information in this knowledge base article.

Try Before You Buy

For both Crystal Reports XI and CrystalReports.com you can access a 30 day trial version. Give it a shot, especially CrystalReports.com.

CrystalReports.com trial

Crystal Reports XI trial

Hopefuly that helps a bit. If you get stuck, post back. I'll do my best to help out.

- Dave

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:01 PM

All replies

• actually you can use your old reports on crystalreports.com and it should convert them for you automatically. Also any version of cr XI, not just release 2 works
    Saturday, April 22, 2006 4:20 AM
  • Hi crystalreport,

What do you mean it's will convert them automatically? It's will convert the reports only or will convert to aspx and the references too in the old project?

Thanks....

Saturday, June 24, 2006 4:21 AM
  • To start, it looks like you actually have two questions, not one.

The first revolves around using CrystalReports.com and the second is about upgrading an existing application to XI (r2).

Just to clarify, the current version of CrystalReports.com is a fantastic place to host your Crystal Reports on the web. It provides you with an online repository where you can upload .rpt files (.xls, .ppt and .pdf are available with the Premium edition) and share those files with other people. The current version of CrystalReports.com does not have an api that you can program against. It is an online repository that does not interact with other applications (yet). What this means for you is that if you wanted to use CrystalReports.com you could, in theory, purchase a license to XIr2 and use CrystalReports.com without installing Crystal Reports XI or changing your application.

As for what you have to do with your current reports to have them work on CrystalReports.com, simply upload your version 10 report and CrystalReports.com will automatically upgrade the report to the most recent report format.

Your second question is about upgrading to Crystal Reports XI, and what you have to do to your application once you have installed XIr2. There's a couple of things here, I'll just touch on each of them -- post back if you get stuck on any single part.

Merge Modules

The list of Merge Modules for Crystal Reports XIr2 can be found in the product documentation. For versions prior to XIr2, check out the VS2005 documentation. All of these merge modules can be downloaded from our customer support page.

Upgrading Reports

Upgrading your reports from an earlier version is a very straightforward process.

1. Install XIr2
    2. Open an existing report in XIr2
    3. Select File >> Save

That's it.

The New Report Format

From our Customer Support site:

Reports created in Crystal Reports XI can be opened and saved in Crystal Reports 10 and 9; however, functions exclusive to Crystal Reports XI will not be available in Crystal Reports 10 or 9. If you have a Crystal Reports XI report that uses Crystal Reports XI exclusive features, saving it in Crystal Reports 10 or 9 will alter report settings.

So you should still be able to open and use your reports in earlier versions of CR, if need be. (I'd still recommend making a backup copy before converting any reports, just to be on the safe side).

Upgrading your Application

OK. Try this:

1. Close all existing applications
    2. Install Crystal Reports XI
    3. Reboot your machine
    4. Back-up your existing project
    5. Open your existing project in Visual Studio
    6. Update your existing merge modules to the more recent versions

Your applications should mostly work at this point. CR will upgrade a lot of the references and report formats for you. What it will not do is update your merge modules. You will have to do that manually.

For more information on migrating your application to XI, check out the migration section on DevZone.

Other Side Effects

There are two, potentially significant, side effects of installing Crystal Reports XI on to a machine with Visual Studio 2005.

First, support for the .Net 2.0 framework was added in Crystal Reports XI release 2. If you purchase Crystal Reports direct from Business Objects you will get XIr2 for sure. I just mention this because if you are really unlucky with a third party retailer, you may accidentally end up with a copy of XI rather than XIr2. It probably won't happen.

Second, Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 support 64-bit processors. Crystal Reports XIr2 does not. There's some more information in this knowledge base article.

Try Before You Buy

For both Crystal Reports XI and CrystalReports.com you can access a 30 day trial version. Give it a shot, especially CrystalReports.com.

CrystalReports.com trial

Crystal Reports XI trial

Hopefuly that helps a bit. If you get stuck, post back. I'll do my best to help out.

- Dave

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:01 PM
  • CrystalReports.com doesn't really affect your projects. It's a place to host your rpt (xls, ppt, and pdf) files and share them with others.

When crystalreport said that the report will be automatically converted, I believe that s/he meant that the rpt file will be updated to the XI rpt format automatically when you upload it to CrystalReports.com.

To the best of my knowledge, no part of the CrystalReports.com process will upgrade your project files or your code.

- Dave

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:04 PM