So I

• downloaded the iso from https://www.windowsforiotdevices.com/
    • extracted the x64 .msi,
    • executed it
    • ran the "dashboard"
    • selected "custom"
    • it wants a link to a "flash.ffu" file

Ok now what?  I don't see a flash.ffu file anywhere

I want to make an image for an Intel Atom E3815 based device.

Suggestions?

Boyd

BDM

Friday, December 30, 2016 1:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• hello

to use the dashboard is the last step of what you are trying to achieve, dashboard require an already available Windows IoT Core Image (flash.ffu) ready to flash on the board

check Windows 10 IoT Core Image Creation to understand what has to be done to build your own Windows IoT Core Image

Friday, December 30, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Hi CyberOne,

That is one answer to the question.  But the question was more in the package I downloaded   14393.67.160804-2231.rs1_release_amd64fre_IOTCORE_PACKAGES.iso ) and contains Windows_10_iot_core_x64_packages.msi,  What exactly did I install?   There is no README file and the web page gives next to no indication of what exactly is in this msi.

Please advise

Boyd

BDM

Friday, December 30, 2016 3:01 PM
  • from "Windows 10 IoT Core Image Creation"

<snip>

1. Download and install the Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit, or ADK
    2. Download and install the Windows 10 IoT Core OS Packages, available for download through the MSDN download center with subscription.
    When these installations are complete, directories called FMFiles, MSPackages, and OEMInputSamples will exist in your development computer’s C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 directory.

</snip>

if you download the iso (Windows 10 IoT Core, Version 1607 (Updated Aug 2016) (x86, x64, ARM) - DVD (English)) from msdn from step 2 you should find 3 msi files (Windows 10 IoT Core OS Packages) that you need to install as requested in point 2

Windows_10_Iot_Core_ARM_Packages.msi, Windows_10_Iot_Core_X64_Packages.msi and Windows_10_Iot_Core_X86_Packages.msi
    Friday, December 30, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Is there a document somewhere stating what is in the .msi file?

Boyd

BDM

Friday, December 30, 2016 3:32 PM
  • you mean more detailed than Windows 10 IoT Core OS Packages ?

don't think so

• Marked as answer by Boyd1 Friday, December 30, 2016 6:31 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 3:33 PM
  • The MSI contains the build files to build custom image. Take a look at this site on the whole build process: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/iot/iot-core-manufacturing-guide

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Boyd1 Friday, December 30, 2016 6:32 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 3:38 PM