Akamai download manager does not work for me

Question

• I'm trying to download the MSDN library iso image for VS 2008, "en_msdn_library_for_visual_studio_2008_x86_x64wow_dvd_X14-29217.iso", and it has an error immediately.  0% of the file is downloaded but a 2GB file is allocated in my filesystem en_msdn_library_for_visual_studio_2008_x86_x64wow_dvd_X14-29217.iso.dlm.  The error message provided is "A download was halted before completion.  A resumption file was created for your convenience on the Desktop."  My IE6 has proxies properly configured (I'm behind a corporate firewall) and I can browse any web page.  The download manager has no configuration so I assume it's reading the IE proxy settings.

I have to add that I tried contacting the MSDN support lines (800) 936 5800 and (800) 759 5474 and after being transferred between 6 operators and being told to 'call the other 800 number' at least 3 times I decided their competencies lay elsewhere.  They assigned me case number 650 431 384 but after 45 minutes they gave up and said that I should send in a screen dump of the error to msubserv@microsoft.com and they guarenteed a response in less than 48 hours.  Yea, you guessed it -- here I am 5 days later and still no one has contacted me with a solution.  MSDN support does not take ownership of support problems.

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:38 PM

Answers

• I have the same issue. This needs to be fixed as many corporate customers have proxy settings enabled on their PCs by network administrators. If a browser can get on the internet so should the TMG.

The microsoft download manager works fine but that is not available for some downloads.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Mike,

When you either see:

• The download not even starting
    • The download alternating between pause and download

Then most probably there is a proxy in the way.

We use a TMG2010, and we once tried to disable only the proxy on the Internal lan, nothing more, and the downloads started working fine. Enabling it again allowed us to reproduce the problem. With a clear correlation between problem, and proxy activation.

We did not bother yet trying to exclude the proxy only for some sites, as we would have to look at the IP ranges of Akamai... Disabling it for Microsoft would of course not help...

I Hope this helps someone.

Eric

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:27 PM
  • N Lyons:

Sorry to hear support was so unhelpful. I just confirmed that there does not appear to be any problem with the file itself.

I have two other options to suggest to get you the bits. If you are using a laptop, do you have access to the Internet outside of the corporate firewall? If so, try the download that way. Another option is to download the file from the Subscriber Downloads and Product Keys area rather than from the Akamai Top Downloads link. This uses a different content delivery network and a different download client, which might address the issues you are having.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:36 AM

All replies

• N Lyons:

Sorry to hear support was so unhelpful. I just confirmed that there does not appear to be any problem with the file itself.

I have two other options to suggest to get you the bits. If you are using a laptop, do you have access to the Internet outside of the corporate firewall? If so, try the download that way. Another option is to download the file from the Subscriber Downloads and Product Keys area rather than from the Akamai Top Downloads link. This uses a different content delivery network and a different download client, which might address the issues you are having.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Put me down along with many others doing a quick internet search that Akamai download manager

gives this error to.

Other MSDN subscriber download tool works, but this is only option for XP SP3 at this time.

Why are they using a tool that has bugs when they had a working tool?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I am In the Same Boat, So I am now just using firefox to bypass the akami downloader.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:45 PM
  • I have the same problem, the Akamai download manager just give me an error message as it starts to download to file "A download was halted before completion.  A resumption file was created for your convenience on the Desktop." when trying to download VS 2010. I am using Vista x64 and IE8 (both fully updated). The last tool that they used worked like a charm.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:35 AM
  • Thanks for your post Oscar.  Here is a link that includes some troubleshooting steps with the Akamai DLM: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb153537.aspx  Go ahead and review the troubleshooting FAQ items on this page.  

If you continue to have issues, contact your local Customer Service center by using the contact information posted here:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:59 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Oscar, a few questions here. Do you always get this error when trying to download ? Can you try deleting the short cut from the desktop and try again ?

Please let us know if you are still facing issues when trying to download. We want to provide support in anyway we can to alleviate your problems.

thanks

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:31 PM
  • I've been getting exactly the same problem, and the cause & symptom seem to be fairly consistent...

I can log into the Microsoft partner portal and begin a download (although it forces me to use the Akamai download manager which is frustrating - why not allow your customers/partners to choose their own download managers if they so choose?).

The ActiveX control kicks in and starts the download, no problem.   If, however, the download manager is closed for any reason, then it's tickets. The icon on hte desktop to resume the download launches IE, which in turn re-starts the download manager, but the download manager keeps throwing the error "A download was halted before completion.  A resumption file was created for your convenience on the Desktop"

If I delete the partial download files, then go back into the partner portal, I'm able to start a new download without any problem, so I suspect that this all has something to do with a "session" becomming invalid/stale.

The obvious frustration here is that the whole point of a download manager is that it mitigates the risks of a disconnect / restart / IP fault, and the Akamai technology isn't serving that purpose here.

@JH - would you kindly raise a flag with the people over there at Akamai to get this resolved?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:52 AM
  • Hi Mark, what file are you trying to download? You should not be seeing the Akamai download manager for any file downloads currently. We only use the Akamai download manager once in a while and it is not our standard download manager. You should be seeing FTM if you are currently trying to download. 

Can you reply back with the file(s) that you are trying to download?

Additionally, thanks for your input on the Akamai DLM. We are very actively working on developing a better download experience and your feedback is very valuable. I apologize for the inconvenience that you are currently experienceing. 

Thanks

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:38 PM
  • 100 times ditto!!  Akamai does not work.  It is quite known to be troublesome trough proxies.  Previously I could do the downloads by not using a Microsoft browser.  Now nothing works to get a web browseer downlaod running as wel.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Hi StoneZ, what is the problem that you are facing ? Browser downloads through Fire Fox and Google Chrome should be working fine. Additionally we are not using Akamai at the moment so you should be seeing the FTM Client. Please report back so we can help resolve your issue. 

Thanks

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Try downloading Free Download Manager, copying the url from internet explorer, open the Free Download Manager and select to create a new download you should find the url already filled out, start the download.
    • Proposed as answer by somadude Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:53 PM
  • Just use Firefox and you will be downloading in no time.

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:25 PM
  • This worked for me. I'm behind a transparent proxy, and even after shutting off the filtering on the content filter, I still could not get it to "turn over". FDM automatically figured out the URL and I am currently downloading. Thanks for the tip.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Ok so The actual Solution to this for me is that, the akami download manager uses http resume. I run behind a unified threat manager in which the gateway antivirus disables http resume capabilities. Turning this feature off has fixed this problem. Please somebody else verify this on there end by checking your gateway antivirus or even host antivirus for this feature.
    • Proposed as answer by Riddleson Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:52 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem.. the download manager works fine.. but if i quit it and come back later it has the "a download was halted before completion. A resumtion file was created for your ........"

Isnt that the whole point of the download manager - to RESUME?

I am behind NO corporate files, just a wireless modem to the internet - and i get that error when i click on the link on the desktop to start download..

typical - microsoft cant even get a download manager right, and won't give you the manual download link either pffft!

Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hello Paul:

Sorry for the invonvenience.

There are many reasons download manager might fail. Please contact us at sbpfdbk@microsoft.com with the screenshots and filename that you are trying to download.

Thanks

Supriya

Subscription Site Support

Thursday, December 2, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Actually the MSDN and TechNet Subscription no longer uses the Akamai Download Manager, so we no longer support it.  If you're having an issue with it today, then you need to contact the appropriate team for support.

Members of the Partner Program should review these links for assistance with downloading from the Partner Digital Downloads portal:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/program/40105194

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/program/40105193

Thanks!
    Mike
    Subscriptions Site Support

Friday, December 10, 2010 7:06 PM
    Owner
  • I had the same problem, download manager unable to resume file download after being paused and shutting down my laptop. I am not behind any firewall.  Several retry of the download from my laptop did not work, the link created on the desktop does not point to anything!

Solution:

I was able to resume by following the original link to my subscription download, then attempt to re-download the same software. Download manager will automatically resume the original download.

• Proposed as answer by dennisigah Sunday, December 12, 2010 1:53 AM
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Actually the MSDN and TechNet Subscription no longer uses the Akamai Download Manager, so we no longer support it.  If you're having an issue with it today, then you need to contact the appropriate team for support.

Members of the Partner Program should review these links for assistance with downloading from the Partner Digital Downloads portal:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/program/40105194

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/program/40105193

Thanks!
    Mike
    Subscriptions Site Support

Though you can say the product is no longer used, I have had a different experience. Fresh install of Win7 x64 ENT. Go straight to the Technet, choose the SP1 to download for Win7/server 2008 and the download manager chooses to install. The product then fails on the SP1 download, as reported above. I have tried this on 2 different systems so far. I have failed downloading this service pack with Firefox as it also launches this addon download manager. The error is "Download integrity is invalid.... I will take my system off-site and try again at a later date, but the point here is, the download manager does appear to be still is use. I was able to locate the KB article (KB976932) and download from there after playing the "validate my copy of Windows" game.

Shawn

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:08 AM
  • Hi Shawn:

We are unable to repro this problem, we were able to download the file without any issue.

We've had a few customers report issues with the Akamai DLM and it seems you're having one as well.

There could be an issue with your proxy server or your browser settings.

Please take a look at the troubleshooting steps we have posted on the Akamai Download Manager:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb153537.aspx

We use Akamai Download Manager, which we use occasionally with larger launches, but only for a short time during the highest demand. We will be migrating them back to the FTM over the next several business days.

Thanks

Supriya

MSDN and TechNet Subscription Support

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:38 AM
  • I can repro the problem behind my corporate proxy. Perhaps the Akamai download manager doesn't know how to work with an NTLM authenticated proxy. Our proxy is a Cisco IronPort, WSA/6.3.1-028.

The Akamai download manager does a HEAD request before the first GET request which checks supports for partial content GETs (requests bytes 0-0). The HEAD request is sent twice, the first time fails, and the second time succeeds (it has a larger NTLM token). The proxy then sends the GET request. The download server responds with a 403: "You do not have permission to view this directory or page." instead of a 206 Partial Content. From my perspective, something in the security checks on the download server rejects the proxied connection.

I can provide packet captures, if needed.

• Edited by Fls'Zen Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:19 PM grammatical error
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Flszen:

can you reach out to us via Site Feedback? Go ahead and visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions and click the "Site Feedback" Link at the bottom.  This will pop a form that puts an email in my inbox.

Our dev guys are hoping they can look at the info you've captured.  In that form, if you could also share with us your Live ID email address and the date/time that you were getting the 403, they'd like to look into it further.

Hope we hear from you!

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:30 PM
    Owner
  • Hi All,

I have the same problem (Windows 7 x64).

I'm trying to download Office 2010 iso file from https://eopen.microsoft.com. When the download start, it's stop immediatly with "A download was halted before completition" message.

It's not a network problem because if I try with another profile on same computer it's work. I think I have some trooble on my profile that prevent correct download with download manager.

Of course I can delete my profile but I want understand and debug the problem

regards

Luc

Friday, March 4, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Here's what worked for me:
    I added the site (the one I was trying to download from) to Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer.

The source site is shown under the URL column in the Download Manager application window.

For instance, here is the URL I added to Trusted Sites:
    http://fullproduct.download.microsoft.com

You cannot vote on your own postAfter I did that, I restarted my download and it proceeded without error.

(I'm on Windows 7 x64, using Internet Explorer 9).
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Thanks,your solution is right,I can resume downloading.
    • Proposed as answer by Youssef.Hawili Friday, October 7, 2011 12:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Youssef.Hawili Friday, October 7, 2011 12:40 PM
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 12:33 AM
  • I had the same problem over and over again. Simply use firefox or Chrome. IE sucks.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Dear Microsoft,

Here we are 4 years later, and this is still a problem! Come on, you're supposed to be all grown up. Get it together!

A sometimes fan.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:56 AM
  • I'm in the same boat.  I've tried different downloads with hthe same error.

RonGC

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:53 PM
  • "Actually the MSDN and TechNet Subscription no longer uses the Akamai Download Manager, so we no longer support it.  If you're having an issue with it today, then you need to contact the appropriate team for support."

This is clearly not true.  I cannot download the Visual Studio 11 iso from Subscriber Downloads due to the same problem: A download was halted before completion. A resumption file was created for your convenience on the Desktop."

Apparently, the only solution is to use a different browser than IE.  Are trying to push developers away from IE?

Friday, April 6, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Include me in the list of people that cant download VS from the subscriber site. 

The Akamai download mgr will not work on my systems.

Monday, June 4, 2012 11:33 AM
  • We've been working with the Akamai team on this and we're seeing that proxy and firewall problems are a major cause for people not being able to use the Akamai DLM.  If you're having issues, please try downloading from outside your corporation's firewall to see if you can successfully launch the Akamai DLM.    You'll need both port 80 and 443 enabled to your machine.    

If you're sure you have 80 and 443 enabled and you're still seeing issues, please contact me through the site feedback link at the bottom of this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions, and let me know.  We'll ask for a fiddler trace from you and send it to our engineers to review.

Thanks,
    Mike

Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, June 4, 2012 2:52 PM
    Owner
  • Great point Nick.  

We use the Akamai when high profile downloads happen, and then we roll off of it back to the FTM over time, so at various points in time we're using it, but only temporarily.  My point on that quote was someone was downloading from some other team at Microsoft (at the time, it wasn't MSDN Subscriptions) and then complaining here, and I needed them to go to the right team for help. 

This can be one reason its good to lock threads after the issue is resolved, because its not always obvious that a comment from someone is sometimes very very old, even if it describes the same situation that is currently be experienced.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, June 4, 2012 2:56 PM
    Owner
  • So why deny using Akamai this thread was started Monday, March 24, 2008 6:38 PM

And after 4 years still no fix? No work around?

I found the Akamai troubleshooting page and for the error A Download was halted before completion the solution is to retry?

Nice

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Mike,

When you either see:

• The download not even starting
    • The download alternating between pause and download

Then most probably there is a proxy in the way.

We use a TMG2010, and we once tried to disable only the proxy on the Internal lan, nothing more, and the downloads started working fine. Enabling it again allowed us to reproduce the problem. With a clear correlation between problem, and proxy activation.

We did not bother yet trying to exclude the proxy only for some sites, as we would have to look at the IP ranges of Akamai... Disabling it for Microsoft would of course not help...

I Hope this helps someone.

Eric

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:27 PM
  • I have the same issue. This needs to be fixed as many corporate customers have proxy settings enabled on their PCs by network administrators. If a browser can get on the internet so should the TMG.

The microsoft download manager works fine but that is not available for some downloads.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hello Mike

Today I was trying to download the Windows 8 Pro and I faced exactly the same error message reported here since 2008!

I regret to tell that there is nothing to do with your TMG neither there is no proxy setup, I've plain home network setup with normal Windows 8 and IE10 out of the box installation, nothing fancy and nothing special and I've got the same issue.

I've tried many things already mentioned in the this thread without any luck.

so, unfortunately to you, I've downloaded Chrome, installed it and the download started once I've tried from the 1st time!!

It looks the issue is in the IE itself and it's strange that you have noted the problem since early 2008 and you still struggle.

Regards

• Edited by Esam Ali Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Hi

I'm also behind a corporate Proxy Server.

Downloads with the FTM (File Transfer Manager) works all fine.

Downloads with the Akamai Download Manger are only partly successfull.

Small Downloads less then 1GByte are working fine.

Big Downloads higher then 1GByte are stopping after initializing with "A download was halted before completion".

So as FTM works fine, why not let this tool be the download tool?

Monday, August 27, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Good question chiForce3 and I'm sure a lot of people have that one on their minds.

We use the Akamai DLM because it lets us use Akamai's very strong and speedy content delivery network.  The FTM connects to a different content delivery network which is still sturdy, and it works fine under normal load, but in the very high demand periods like the launch of a new version of Windows, Akamai handles those large spikes in traffic better.  Typically once demand dies back down for a product like Windows 8 (or Windows 7 when it launched), we'll return the file to being available via the FTM.

Are you able to resume those 'Big Downloads' that give you the "A download was halted before completion" ?  Are you saying these Big Downloads never get started? or that they stop in the middle?

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, August 27, 2012 8:11 PM
    Owner
  • that akamai thing doesn't work for me - error as described in OP . firefox download works fine. this is why i use ff and not IE.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hi Mike

This Big Downloads never get startet and result always in "A download was halted before completion".

Also when I Resume the same happens. They stop at beginning.

In normal I use FDM(Free Download Manager) as downloader but with it I get Access denied. 

Currently I'm also downloading with Firefox.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Dear ChiForce3,

You can't use any Download Manager in order to download any Microsoft Product that uses Akamai Download Manager. You will have to use your browser inbuilt download manager. It should work fine. Also, if you close your browser for some reason you will have to restart the download.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:24 AM
  • This seems to be a very common issue.  I have tried an MSDN download from 3 different physical locations/connections with IE/Akamai and all fail in the same mannner. As others have already stated, Firefox works like a charm. 
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:07 AM
  • The death knoll rings for IE - sitting here shaking my head

As a Microsoft Developer I am speechless - I have alway been a loyal faithful IE user - but having wasted so much time trying to get downloads from my MSDN subscription using IE and KAKAMAY - I have resorted to what I told myself I would never do and installed the insidious Google Chrome Browser on my laptop - And guess what ?

I downloaded Windows 8 Enterprise ISO in under 7 minutes - 7 MINUTES !!! I sat here for nearly 2 hours f**king around with IE and Chrome download installed and download the files I wanted from msdn in under 15 minutes

I am now re evaluating the benefits or i should say the incpacitities of IE 9 -

You would have thought the leading software manufacturer could at least produce a decent WORKING browser

I now have a new default browser LMAO and IE 9 well I can see the end of the road for that bloated over hyped bug ridden, process hogging time wasting peice of c**p can be flushed away with the remains of yesterdays dinner

DOWNLOAD GOOGLE CHROME and save yourselves a big headache and a LOT of TIME.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Dear Scurvy Dawg,

I can understand your situation but we will come up with a solution to this - as we need to find the root cause of this problem. And yes, Chrome and Firefox inbuilt download manager are the good alternatives right now.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

• Edited by prathaprabhu Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:54 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil98765 Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:33 AM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Thanks - after trying to download from work behind the proxy, and from home (without) I still had the problem. Tried using Chrome and it works first time :) Thanks for the recommendation :)

My problem was the download failed to start immediately

• Edited by Phil98765 Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:38 AM
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Hello,

I too faced the same problem while Windows 8 and am unable to activate Akamai Download Manager using any of the three browsers, IE, Chrome, or Firefox. If I use the inbuilt download managers in Firefox or Chrome, the estimated download duration shows to be 10-13 hours. I would certainly not want that long a download. I want to finish it sooner than an hour or two at the most. For this, I tried using Download Accelerator Plus and tried copying the Technet link to DAP but the download fails there too because it keeps asking for authentication and fails to accept the Microsoft account and password as the authentication details. I am on a private network, not corporate and there is no proxy.

Am at a total loss as I tried so many approaches and all seem to be failing. The only option left for me maybe is to do the 13 hour download. :(

Do you guys have any solution? Please help!!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:48 AM
  • Unfortunately more than 4 years after this thread was started it is still a problem.

Microsoft download are still using Akamai Download Manager, and it still does not work through a web proxy. I guess I will have to download from my home ADSL connection. But I think it is a strange policy to support home users better than corporate users - Especially for SQL Server downloads.
    (Site: Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center)

I did another huge download from Dell a few days ago. They are using something named Akamai NetSession. It popped up asking for my password to the proxy, and then started downloading. Besides the download was very fast. It utilised my 100Mbit LAN connction 100%.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Dear MSDN Subscribers,

Whoever has the Akamai Download Manager Issue - please do reach me over Gtalk / MSN / Skype to do the workarounds. As it is not affecting all MSDN Subscribers but some. So I believe doing a small R&D would resolve the issue.

prathaprabhu [at] gmail [dot] com,  prathaprabhu [at] hotmail.com [dot] com, prathaprabhu

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Saturday, October 6, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Another unhappy Akamai download user. Can't download W8 with IE9.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:52 PM
  •  It is 2012, but things doesn't change so fast at Microsoft. This stupid thing still doesn't work. If you you are stuck - work around is to use Chrome, it does the standard download :)
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:35 PM
  • on Windows 8 with IE10, when you try to download anything from MSDN it directly launch IE download manager and not Akamai.

to force browser to launch i tried this and it worked for me.

start IE 10,

press F12

change Browser mode to IE8

open MSDN Subscription download page and now click on Download button for any product you want. it will prompt you to install Akamai Download manager or if its already installed it will launch it automatically.

Mahesh Mitkari | Cognition InfoTech

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:00 AM
  • THIS SOLUTION IS WORKING FOR ME :

- NOT :  to use download manager icon from the desktop

- BUT :  re-use the link from my Subscription Panel : the initial Downloads link

as  dennisigah proposed bellow :

I was able to resume by following the original link to my subscription download, then attempt to re-download the same software. Download manager will automatically resume the original download.

• Edited by silvmarca Monday, November 5, 2012 8:01 AM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Dear silvmarca,

It's good to see that you can resume the download by re-downoading the ISO Link from the MSDN page instead of resuming the download from the Microsoft Akamai Download Manager. My question is are you able to successfully complete the download? If yes, please do confirm here with the screenshot if possible.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Monday, November 5, 2012 3:51 PM
  • I’m having problems trying to download Visual Studio Professional 2012 (x86) - DVD (English) (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/securedownloads/hh442898#FileId=49954). I tried the Online Concierge, but they’ve had to send here!

I'm on a corporate network - W7 / IE9 / McAfee AV

If I remember correctly (it was a few hours and 2 reboots ago) I got a pop-up asking for my permission to progress with setting up the Akamai Download Manager, but there was no progress after this?

I tried downloading other products with varying success – basically the older the product the more likely the download would progress. I assume that this is purely down to the fact that the older software appears to use the Microsoft File Transfer Manager to manage the download?

If I now select the download link from the above URL I am just taken to a temporary redirect page with the following message:-

MSDN Subscriptions Download Manager Redirect

Akamai Downloads: In moments, a "Save As" dialog box will appear. You can select the default location or choose a different location to store your downloaded files. Click the "Save" button. The Download Manager console will open and you will have the option to Pause, Stop, or Cancel your downloads, or see file details and download progress.

If you have not already installed the ActiveX control, an information bar will appear in your Internet browser prompting you to install the ActiveX control.

If the Download Manager cannot install the ActiveX control in your browser, you may have system restrictions. See Akamai Download Manager Help for additional information.

The “Save As” screen never appears! Instead, I’m taken straight back to the original download URL given above?!?!

Reading through this thread it looks like I need to try this at home and burn a disc!!!! I will report back later.

Ian B

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Sure enough, the download worked at home without a problem! I used Chrome.

Ian B

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Downloaded Virtual PC using old File Download manager without a problem, then tried to download Window 8.

It wanted to use Akami Download Manager, installed the Active X, 8 attempts later tried Chrome which worked like a charm.

If you are behind a Proxy use Chrome.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Jimminey Crickets... Trying to D/L Office 2013 and it just sits there.  Maybe a link to D/L the D/L manager from the web.  I try the web download and the download completes successully, (in 30 seconds) however the resultant file is 38,235mb and is invalid.

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:43 PM
  • What is going on with this? It's pretty annoying. Downloading some ISOs use Akamai and it simply doesn't work.

I have raised a case with my corporate gateway team to bypass proxy auth, but I still get 403 forbidden responses.

Please Microsoft, can you put ALL downloads back to MSFTM so that your subscribers can actually use their subscription.

Believe me - I have tried everything mentioned above and this needs looking at properly by the MSDN team.

SeanC

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Sean,

As mentioned here, we've enabled a 'direct download' option that bypasses the Akamai DLM and lets you download straight from the browser.  Have you tried this?  Its in the 'details' section for each download.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:05 PM
    Owner
  • Hey Folks,

As the demand has died off a bit, we've moved Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, and Visual Studio 2012 back to the FTM.  If you've been having issues with Akamai for these files, you may be able to get the FTM to work.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:59 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, the fix is to use Chrome.

Hilarious - if you have a Microsoft firewall (TMG), you can't use IE to download the software!!

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:52 AM
  • the Akamai download manager does NOT auto install with the interface the documentation claims. It opens a new web page. At the bottom of the web page is a line which has the name of the file. You can choose save as and pick where to put it. It then disappears. There is no way to know if the file is downloading, how far along it is etc, If you stack up seven things to  download as one did in the previous downloader, Akamai is attempting to download them all at once and it crashes IE.  All your downloads that "supposedly" were in process are lost.  This is beyond frustrating 

Mike,

Have you ever heard the expression "If it aint broke, don't fix it"?  I use to que up all the downloads I needed then go to sleep. In the morning, all were downloaded. Now I have to babysit each download one at a time. Que two and they both fail. This is with DIRECT download and this new download manager that must have been written in Java as I am not sure how else one can break so many things so fast.

NOTE: I have been attempting to download the same file for three and a half hours. It keeps freezing and doesn't update one byte for hours. Weather I use Akamai or Direct Download the download dialogue box of what files are being downloaded has all the downloading and frozen files. Stop fooling yourself that this can work. Please re-enable the old downloader that at least worked

this happens every time!!!

we are Murphy's Children if it can go wrong it will, other's cups runith over, ours will always spill

• Edited by windy Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:14 AM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:53 AM
  • I absolutely agree with everybody - the Microsoft File Transfer Manager works like a charm and it handles pausing and resuming like a charm! I don't know why we need to wait for a month before the switch from Akamai is made back to MSFTM and then be able to download our software without any problems!

As for the direct link, can we copy and paste that link inside of a download manager like GetRight and it would be able to always get to it, or will we get authentication failures against the MSDN system then?

Martin
    PS I tried before to download w2k12r2 the Akamai way and had to re-download it probably at least 5 times before I just gave up and now finally can download it via the MSFTM. Please can we not just switch everything onto the MSFTM from the beginning?

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:58 PM
  • I absolutely agree with everybody - the Microsoft File Transfer Manager works like a charm and it handles pausing and resuming like a charm! I don't know why we need to wait for a month before the switch from Akamai is made back to MSFTM and then be able to download our software without any problems!

As for the direct link, can we copy and paste that link inside of a download manager like GetRight and it would be able to always get to it, or will we get authentication failures against the MSDN system then?

Martin
    PS I tried before to download w2k12r2 the Akamai way and had to re-download it probably at least 5 times before I just gave up and now finally can download it via the MSFTM. Please can we not just switch everything onto the MSFTM from the beginning?

Okay, so after I did some more binging this morning, I found this article on the web, tried it and voila - it works! Apparently it has to do with the compatibility settings of IE - when you set your browser in IE9 compatibility, the download manager launches and everything works like a charm. Guess now I can download the software I need in a new IE window and when done, just close it.

Just thought I'd share it with you guys.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:26 AM
  • One can try this if the Akamai Download Manager doesn't appear in IE:

Akamai Download Manager fail to start in MSDN / TechNet downloads:

http://vasudevg.blogspot.in/2013/09/akamai-download-manager-fail-to-start.html

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:37 AM
  • "Download Manager", any time I hear/read this two words, my paranoia turns on. And i'm thinking: No! Spyware will not installed on my System!!

After trying other ways, I have used it once. The bad thing about it: I needed the the software on my dedicated server.
    After days I saw traffic going to Akamai.net. Not from the Download Manager self (after a reboot) - From a process which should not have traffic. This is how spyware acts.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:04 AM
  • Akamai download manager doesn't work for me.

It pauses at random spot and doesn't continue. I restarted the whole process (i.e. downloaded from the beginning) and it did the same. First at 206MB, now 1.09G.

What to do? I can't finish the download.

... Restarting again seemed to help. It didn't pause again. So, download succeeded.

• Edited by IlkkaH Friday, September 19, 2014 7:40 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 2:17 AM
  • The akamai DLM is not in use today for the MSDN Subscription, so I'm going to lock this thread.  If you're having a problem with it and you're downloading from the TechNet Eval Center, you need to contact the eval center support team through the Site Feedback link on the bottom of the eval center page.  

If you're an MSDN Subscriber, you can always get personal help through your local MSDN Customer Service center.  Here's the contact info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, September 22, 2014 5:26 PM
    Owner