Error TF84037 with Excel Team Foundation AddIn RRS feed

• 질문

• I get the following error when I try to open Excel documents stored on the TFS.

TF84037: There was a problem initializing the Microsoft Excel Team Foundation Addin.  Re-installing the Team Foundation Client may be required.

I've attempted a full uninstall and re-install but that have no effect.

2006년 3월 22일 수요일 오후 10:49

답변

• It looks like Office 2003 .Net programmability support is not installed.  You need to modify your installed version of Office and install this option.  I thought we had a better error message for this...

1.  In Add/Remove programs, locate your Office application and select it.

2.  Click on the 'Change' button

3.  Select 'Add or Remove features' and click 'next'

4.  Select 'Choose advanced customization of applications' and click 'next'

5.  In the tree view, expand 'Microsoft Office Excel' and make sure the .NET Programmability Support option is set to 'run from my computer'.

6.  Click 'update'.

2006년 3월 28일 화요일 오후 8:24

모든 응답

• Please provide more information on the TFS version you are using and the steps leading to this error. Does this happen for every Excel file or a specific file? If you open Excel and try to connect to a particular TFS project, does that work?
    2006년 3월 23일 목요일 오전 2:10
  • This is in the RTM release.

This error happens for every Excel file opened from the project (I only have one project). I can also cause this by opening Excel and clicking New List on the TFS toolbar in Excel.

One other note on the issue, this error always fires twice.

2006년 3월 23일 목요일 오후 1:26
  • You can try repairing "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office RunTime" from Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.
    2006년 3월 23일 목요일 오후 6:51
  • I had tried that but did it again just in case, it had no effect.

2006년 3월 24일 금요일 오전 7:37
  • Marc,

I'm going to need a log file to have any hope of figuring out what is going on.  Please create a new file in the location where Excel.exe exists called Excel.exe.config and place the following XML in that file:

<configuration>
       <system.diagnostics>
         <switches>
            <add name="General" value="3" />
         </switches>
          <trace autoflush="false" indentsize="3" />
       </system.diagnostics>
    </configuration>

This will cause a log file to be generated in your %temp% directory called tfs_msexcel.log.  Run Excel, cause the problem to occur, then post the contents of the generated log file (there should be an exception entry in it).

-Dennis

2006년 3월 24일 금요일 오후 7:36
  • [Info, PID 688, TID 3136, 20:10:27.875] Managed ELead Excel AddIn loaded
    [Error, PID 688, TID 3136, 20:10:27.968] {

[Error, PID 688, TID 3136, 20:10:28.015] Exception:  {
    Exception Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (type FileNotFoundException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelAddIn.OnConnectionInternal(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelAddIn.OnConnectionProxy(Object application, Int16 connectMode, Object addInInst)

}
    [Error, PID 688, TID 3136, 20:10:28.015] }

2006년 3월 28일 화요일 오후 8:14
  • I did a search for the file 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel'. This may not mean anything, but the only version under Program Files was in the Microsoft Small Business Accounting folder. Could there be a conflict between the two applications?

2006년 3월 28일 화요일 오후 8:15
  • It looks like Office 2003 .Net programmability support is not installed.  You need to modify your installed version of Office and install this option.  I thought we had a better error message for this...

1.  In Add/Remove programs, locate your Office application and select it.

2.  Click on the 'Change' button

3.  Select 'Add or Remove features' and click 'next'

4.  Select 'Choose advanced customization of applications' and click 'next'

5.  In the tree view, expand 'Microsoft Office Excel' and make sure the .NET Programmability Support option is set to 'run from my computer'.

6.  Click 'update'.

2006년 3월 28일 화요일 오후 8:24
  • The file should be in the GAC, but it doesn't seem to be in your case.  You can verify this by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to c:\windows\assembly (substituting correct path for Windows installation, of course) and looking for the dll in the list that is provided.  If it isn't there (and it isn't version 11.0.0.0) then .Net programmability has not been installed.
    2006년 3월 28일 화요일 오후 8:27
  • Hello,

I have a similiar problem. if I install the .net support from Office Professional 2003, the connect to the team server via Projects 2003 does'nt work but with Excel,  and if I install the Projects 2003 .net support, the connect via MS Excel doesn't work but I can connect with Excel to TFS.

Is there a way to use Excel and Project on the same machine to connect to a team Server ?

Thanks

Alex

2006년 4월 12일 수요일 오후 7:18
  • They both should work on the same machine.  Generally Project is installed separately from Office 2003 (will show up separately in Add/Remove programs).  Make sure you configure Project to support .Net programmability as well as Excel. 

If this still doesn't work, please create a winproj.exe.config file with the contents specified earlier in this thread and place that file in the same directory as winproj.exe.  That will generate a file call tfs_msproject.log in your %temp% directory (if the managed addin is getting loaded at all, that is).  Please try it again and post the contents of that file.

2006년 4월 12일 수요일 오후 7:32
  •  Hi,

I am facing a similar problem with my TFS. While trying to open the excel documents I get the following error.

"TF84037: There was a problem initializing the Microsoft Excel Team Foundation Addin.  Re-installing the Team Foundation Client may be required."

I tried reinstalling TF client but it was of no use.

I tried generating the log file as mentioned earlier in the thread but there was no log file generated in the temp directory.

There is no error when I open the MSProject files however they are all blank.

Thanks,

Sitaram

2006년 5월 8일 월요일 오후 1:18
  • I get a slightly diferent problem:

This error occurs after the status bar finishes its "importing tfs data.." message:

[Info, PID 5020, TID 4948, 13:21:52.461] Managed ELead Excel AddIn loaded
    [Error, PID 5020, TID 4948, 13:22:06.695] {

[Error, PID 5020, TID 4948, 13:22:07.586] Exception:  {
    Exception Message: Member not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020003 (DISP_E_MEMBERNOTFOUND)) (type COMException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at System.RuntimeType.ForwardCallToInvokeMember(String memberName, BindingFlags flags, Object target, Int32[] aWrapperTypes, MessageData& msgData)
       at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.ListObjects.Add(XlListObjectSourceType SourceType, Object Source, Object LinkSource, XlYesNoGuess XlListObjectHasHeaders, Object Destination)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ListObjects.Add(Range source)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ELeadListObject..ctor(ExcelAddIn addin, Range range, ELeadListOptions listOptions)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ELeadWorkbook.InsertListObject(Range range, ELeadListOptions listOptionsIn)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ELeadWorkbook.CreateListInternal(Range range, ELeadListOptions listOptions, ICollection workItems)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ELeadWorkbook.CreateList(ProjectContext projectContext, Range range, String queryReference, Boolean bindToQuery)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelAddIn.InsertListObject()
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelAddIn.OnFirstContact(Boolean& Cancel)

}
    [Error, PID 5020, TID 4948, 13:22:07.601] }

Any Ideas?

2006년 8월 23일 수요일 오후 1:25
  • Which version of Office are you using? You need Office2003 to use TFS Excel Add-in

Swamy

2006년 9월 8일 금요일 오후 5:34
  •  

Enabling .NET Programmability Support will also make Excel Team Foundation Addin to work with Excel 2007 too.

The error message i got is really confusing: "TF84037" "There was a problem initializing the Microsoft Excel Team Foundation Addin" "Re-installing the Team Foundation Client may be required". This error message should be changed to explain the real reason why the Addin cant be initialized.

Thanks for the solution!

2007년 10월 2일 화요일 오후 12:04
  • Thank you Dennis Habib MSFT

Your suggestion work fine.

2008년 3월 27일 목요일 오전 4:16
  • Hi,

since this thread is the first found when searching for TF84037, I post here the solution I found on the web: http://blogs.imeta.co.uk/agardiner/archive/2006/08/21/220.aspx

Pascal.
    2008년 7월 10일 목요일 오전 8:33
  • Thanks Dennis ...Its working now.
    2009년 8월 25일 화요일 오전 10:03
  • Hi Dennis, I am getting the same error.  I have made sure that the .NET Programmability Support option is set to 'run from my computer' for Excel.  I added the log file and have posted the log here.  When I go to C:\WINDOWS\assembly, I see Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel, but it's version 12.0.0.0.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for the help.

I am using Team Foundation Server 2008 and Office 2007.

[Info, PID 3988, TID 4788, 19:53:56.620] Managed ELead Excel AddIn loaded
    [Error, PID 3988, TID 4788, 19:53:56.682] {

[Error, PID 3988, TID 4788, 19:53:56.838] Exception:  {
    Exception Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (type FileNotFoundException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelAddIn.OnConnectionInternal(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.OfficeIntegration.Client.ExcelAddIn.OnConnectionProxy(Object application, Int16 connectMode, Object addInInst, Object ribbonUI)

}
    [Error, PID 3988, TID 4788, 19:53:56.838] }

2010년 1월 19일 화요일 오후 8:11
  • Thanks!

It works for me, too!

Luis.

2010년 9월 6일 월요일 오후 4:34
  • Thanks Dennis,

Your solution worked perfect.

2011년 1월 4일 화요일 오후 12:01