Using an Affinity group for a VNet? RRS feed

• 質問

• Hi there,

I just want confirmation that I've got the right understanding on Affinity groups, services and VNets.

Basically, if I want the best throughput for example for a SQL box and a web server, they need to be in the same affinity group. This affinity group, should be added to a Cloud service which I then place these servers into. I also put the servers into the same VNet group to ensure ease of network connectivity and regional location too.

And I can have multiple Cloud Services using the same affinity group too? I.e one cloud service for all my IIS VM's and one for all the SQL VM's, because both Cloud Services are using the same affinity group, they will in effect have the best throughput possible?

I think this is correct but could someone please confirm?

thanks

2014年7月8日 13:51

回答

• Hi,

Affinity groups are a way you can group your cloud services by proximity to each other in the Azure datacenter in order to achieve optimal performance. When you create an affinity group, it lets Azure know to keep all of the services that belong to your affinity group as physically close to each other as possible. For example, if you want to keep the services running your data and your code together, you would specify the same affinity group for those cloud services. They would then run on hardware that is located close together in the datacenter. This can reduce latency and increase performance, while potentially lowering costs.

For more information, refer this link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj156085.aspx

Regards,
    Azam Khan

• 回答としてマーク Susie Long 2014年7月14日 6:21
    2014年7月9日 3:18
  • Hi,
    You are correct.
    In addition, if you want to use a virtual network associated to an Affinity Group, you need to edit the network configuration file via Windows Azure PowerShell as the Management Portal only contains the option for Location (Regional) Virtual Networks now. You can refer to the steps in the link below to do that:
    [Forum FAQ] How to attach an Affinity Group to an Azure Virtual Network

If you haven’t deploy anything yes, I recommend you to create an Affinity Group and a Virtual Network in the Management Portal without adding any virtual machines into the Virtual Network. Then you just need to modify the <VirtualNetworkSite name="xxx" Location="xxx"> to <VirtualNetworkSite name="xxx" AffinityGroup="xxx"> in the network configuration file to attach the Affinity Group to it. After that, you can create a virtual machine with “create a new cloud service” option and choose the virtual network you have modified. In these scenario, when you create other VMs, you just need to choose the cloud service and they will be added into the virtual network associated with the Affinity Group.

Best regards,

Susie

• 編集済み Susie Long 2014年9月23日 3:32
    2014年7月9日 4:09

すべての返信

• Hi,

Affinity groups are a way you can group your cloud services by proximity to each other in the Azure datacenter in order to achieve optimal performance. When you create an affinity group, it lets Azure know to keep all of the services that belong to your affinity group as physically close to each other as possible. For example, if you want to keep the services running your data and your code together, you would specify the same affinity group for those cloud services. They would then run on hardware that is located close together in the datacenter. This can reduce latency and increase performance, while potentially lowering costs.

For more information, refer this link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj156085.aspx

Regards,
    Azam Khan

2014年7月9日 3:18
  • Hi,
    You are correct.
    In addition, if you want to use a virtual network associated to an Affinity Group, you need to edit the network configuration file via Windows Azure PowerShell as the Management Portal only contains the option for Location (Regional) Virtual Networks now. You can refer to the steps in the link below to do that:
    [Forum FAQ] How to attach an Affinity Group to an Azure Virtual Network

If you haven’t deploy anything yes, I recommend you to create an Affinity Group and a Virtual Network in the Management Portal without adding any virtual machines into the Virtual Network. Then you just need to modify the <VirtualNetworkSite name="xxx" Location="xxx"> to <VirtualNetworkSite name="xxx" AffinityGroup="xxx"> in the network configuration file to attach the Affinity Group to it. After that, you can create a virtual machine with “create a new cloud service” option and choose the virtual network you have modified. In these scenario, when you create other VMs, you just need to choose the cloud service and they will be added into the virtual network associated with the Affinity Group.

Best regards,

Susie

• 編集済み Susie Long 2014年9月23日 3:32
    2014年7月9日 4:09
  • Susie,

Is there a specific guarantee for a maximum latency when you use an affinity group?  The word "optimal" is used to describe the effect on latency but I haven't seen a number (like 10ms or 1ms) yet.

If there is no guarantee, that's fine.

JTB

2014年9月22日 16:26
  • Hi,

There is no specific numbers like 10ms or 1ms, It just reduces the Latency,because by providing information to the Fabric Controller that they should be kept together, allow us to get a lot better latency when accessing the Storage from the Compute Nodes, which makes difference in a highly available environment.

Regards,
    Azam Khan

2014年9月25日 16:04