Windows Phone 8.1 UDP Multicast packet loss on real phone RRS feed

• Domanda

• Hi everybody, I'm currently developing a Windows Phone 8.1 runtime app and I stumbled upon a strange behaviour while running my app on a real device Lumia 635.

My app receives (through WIFI) SAP/SDP announcements every 5 seconds (sent in Multicast) through a Datagram Socket. Everything works fine if the phone is connected with the USB cable and the app receives every announcement.

However if I disconnect the telephone from the USB cable then the app stops receiving the announcements. If I connect the cable back, everything starts again working fine and the telephone receives every announcement.

Another strange thing I noticed is that if I disable the GPS on the telephone the app doesn't stop receiving the announcements.

Does Windows Phone 8.1 OS has some kind of policy that decides to switch off the Wifi data reception for some app if the telephone is consuming too much power?

PS: I checked that the telephone was not in energy saving mode!

Thanks in advance for the help

venerdì 10 ottobre 2014 13:42

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

1. Could you please test this app via another device? and mark sure the device has full energy.

2. >>Another strange thing I noticed is that if I disable the GPS on the telephone the app doesn't stop receiving the announcements.<<

As we known, GPS will consume a lot of energy. Is your app use GPS or not. Or you have get the GPS location before you turn off GPS?

lunedì 13 ottobre 2014 07:27
  • Hi, thanks for the answer.

1) Yes, I'm going to test the app with full battery as soon as I can.

2) My app uses nor GPS neither position information. I just noticed that if GPS is turned on it seems like WIFI will be kept in a sort of sleepy mode more frequently resulting in a loss of multicast data.

lunedì 13 ottobre 2014 07:41
  • Really can everyone explain me in detail why the telephone has such a behaviour?

Which are (if any) the constraints linked to the consumption of battery and to the network inside a Windows Phone 8.1 runtime app?

martedì 21 ottobre 2014 17:15
  • Hi,

I am not sure why the phone has such behaviours. I thought we should rule out this issue is related to some specific phone device. Could you please test on multi devices? and share you result here.

Regards,

mercoledì 22 ottobre 2014 06:46
  • Hi, thanks for the help, unfortunately I haven't had the possibility to test the app on another phone yet.

However I really would like to hear a response from a Microsoft employee who could tell me if this is a known policy (to discard ONLY UDP Multicast when battery is under a certain value) in Windows Phone 8.1 or if it is a bug?

Thanks in advance for the help

mercoledì 29 ottobre 2014 11:53