Sample code won't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm new to developing MSN Activities. I have downloaded the MSN Messenger Activity API with the Tic Tac Toe sample this morning. I have carefully read the help-file included in the archive.

When I try to get the included Tic Tac Toe sample to work, nothing happens. The Activity is not listed in the menu's.

I have put the files in a folder on my webserver and I have put the correct link in the msgrp2p.xml file (when I enter that link in my browser, I get the correct page). My colleague and I have both put the msgrp2p.xml file in C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger, where the Messenger (version 8) executable also is. When we restart our Messenger and we start a conversation with each other, the Tic Tac Toe example is not listed.

The only thing I have changed in the sample xml file, is the URL and I'm 100% sure that it is correct.

What could be the problem here?

Edit: I have also tried the XML-file with MSN Messenger 7.5 but that doens't work either...

Thursday, August 24, 2006 12:04 PM

Answers

• I have created a new msgrp2p.xml file with an editor, which I'm sure of that it saves in UTF-8 format, but that doesn't help. I have even replaced the top line '<?xml version=1.0"?>' with '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>' but that doesn't help either.

I have also tried to transform it to a singleuser activity by changing the MinUsers en MaxUsers to 1, this way I don't have to keep bothering my colleagues. Now, to access singleuser activities, do I still have to click on the activities button in a conversation window or can I start them in some other way?

Friday, August 25, 2006 6:40 AM

All replies

• I don't know what the problem is, but I think it is an encoding problem somewhere... I saw other people having troubles with it, and the xml worked perfectly here. Try to save the file as plain UTF-8, because I think that is the right format...
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 6:58 PM
  • I have created a new msgrp2p.xml file with an editor, which I'm sure of that it saves in UTF-8 format, but that doesn't help. I have even replaced the top line '<?xml version=1.0"?>' with '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>' but that doesn't help either.

I have also tried to transform it to a singleuser activity by changing the MinUsers en MaxUsers to 1, this way I don't have to keep bothering my colleagues. Now, to access singleuser activities, do I still have to click on the activities button in a conversation window or can I start them in some other way?

Friday, August 25, 2006 6:40 AM
  • No it will not be in the activities menu, but in another menu. Because I'm using the Dutch version of Messenger I'm not sure what the menu is called, but I guess it is something like: Actions -> Start YOURAPPLICATIONNAME

So you will have to click the regular win32 menu of the conversation window, not one of the buttons on the toolbar...
    Friday, August 25, 2006 10:50 AM
  • try the file as-is and do not change the url to see if it appears in the drop down.  If it appears then it is the text encoding.   write back with your results.

James

Friday, August 25, 2006 3:39 PM