none
javascript places images but not instantaneously in IE-8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a page: at www.zionism101.org/defaultfornow.aspx.  It has a menu and a logo that are both placed by javascript.  This works fine in IE-9, but in IE-8, I notice that (on my slow computer) I actually see the menu moving from the left side to come to its resting place in the center, and the logo also moves to its final resting place.

Since some people will still have IE-8, this is a problem.   The page would look more professional if everything is in the correct spot to begin with.

Thanks,

FN

GIDEON
    Monday, April 11, 2011 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please debug with IE Developer Tools.

Friday, April 15, 2011 10:11 AM
  • I cannot debug, since there is no error message that I can investigate.

The page works on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and IE-9.

It sort-of works on IE-8, however, the problem is that on IE-8, there is about 2 seconds where everything is jumbled.  This is bad.

The website is unusual in that it uses a menu to slide screens from right to left.  This has implications.  For instance, I need the menu to appear on all screens, so I use absolute positioning, and then use javascript to calculate the center position.  The same goes for a logo image.  And on top of that, some screens (which are really DIVs) have items positioned by absolute and relative positioning within them, and those positions are often calculated via javascript (and then set). 
    On IE-8, the result is not good.
    I think what is happening is that the browser first shows everything as it appears before javascript is run, and then slowly the javascript is run, which puts everything in the correct position.   So initially, not only is everything in the wrong position, but different DIVs appear on top of each other.

Update: I found a solution.  In the body tag, I set style="visibility:hidden" and when the javascript starts, I put a statement to unhide it.  This means the user sees a blank blue screen for a second, but thats better than stuff flying around.

Thanks,

FN

GIDEON
    Monday, April 18, 2011 11:39 AM