none
Extension to override defaults in Microsoft Edge RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing an extension to override the defaults of the Microsoft Edge browser.

The same extension works on Firefox and Chrome, but on porting it for Edge using the Edge Extension Toolkit and side loading it in Edge, the extension does not function.

I read in some forum that Edge does not allow extensions to change the defaults of the browser.

Is there a way to work on this? How can I use an extension to change the default search engine and default homepage of Microsoft Edge?

Monday, December 3, 2018 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Rahulraj Singh,

Microsoft Edge uses the registry and other local or cloud storage mechanisms to store the state or configuration of many of its features, including, but not limited to the user’s start page and content therein, address bar search engine, new tab page, favorites, reading list, and the state or configuration of features of the browser.

Software may not make any direct or indirect changes to any of these settings for any reason. All changes to settings must be initiated by the user via the Microsoft Edge user experience. Software may not influence or guide user’s choices via overlays or other user experience modification, or provide alternate consent experiences.

Microsoft supports Group Policy and MDM Policy to customize specific behavior of Microsoft Edge on devices that are under the control of an organization. These policies may only be configured by an administrator of the organization. Software that uses these policies in other contexts may be subject to being blocked or removed by anti-malware software.

Which means your extension will not be allowed to do those changes.

Reference:

Microsoft browser extension policy

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:35 AM