none
Is there a browser emulation mode for Edge? RRS feed

• Question

• We use the web browser control extensively in our app. I usually read the "srcVersion" registry entry to set the FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION entry for our executable. I am being asked to investigate using "Edge" mode when on Windows 10. But the MSDN documenation for the mode only lists up to IE 11. When I examine a Win 10 box, I see the srcVersion major version is still 11.

Is there an Edge specific emulation mode that I can set? Or is the Edge mode limited to the DOCTYPE entry on specific web pages?

R.D. Holland

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

no....On windows 10 the default web browser app is used to open links from other programs. You use Group Policy settings and Enterprise site mode lists to control which domains will use IE11 instead. Enterprise Site Mode lists are mostly used on domain joined networks to control how IE11 will use which Emulation mode on legacy intranet sites. There is a GPO setting for Edge to "Use IE11 to open intranet sites).

If your web browser control app is using legacy markup and scripting and/or ActiveX controls, then you should add an x-ua meta tag to all of your pages so that edge can detect that the page requires IE to work and will prompt the user, or re-write your markup and scripting so that it is compatibile with Modern browsers.(Addons and plugins free).

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, July 21, 2017 2:27 AM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.140 Safari/537.36 Edge/17.9200

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:38 PM