none
FolderPath returns EntryID RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a piece of code which retrieves a folder's FolderPath. Up until recently, I've been receiving a peculiar bug...when I access the folder's FolderPath property it returns me that folder's EntryID instead. 

At first I thought this was just an RDO bug, but I changed the code to use Outlook Object Model code to retrieve it, but same results. 

Has anyone faced this error before? 

Please note that this error had occurred while I was shifting folders between PSTs (e.g. my Exchange mailbox to a Site mailbox). 

Would that have any sort of effect? 

Thanks, looking for feedback on this!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hello Rahul,

What code do you use for getting the folder pah? Do you run another threads?

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:25 AM
  • Hello Eugene, 

I am using the Outlook Object Model's normal Folder Object. No other threads are being run. 

It's just a simple call to oFolder.FolderPath...and in some instances it returns me back the EntryID & not the FolderPath. 

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:12 AM
  • > Please note that this error had occurred while I was shifting folders between PSTs (e.g. my Exchange mailbox to a Site mailbox). 

Could you please share your code? I will  try to reproduce the issue on my side.

What Outlook version do you have installed on the PC?

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:47 AM
  • I have Outlook 2010 x86 on a Windows 7 x64 machine. 

I"m doing a simple "SourceFolder.MoveTo(DestinationFolder)"

Note that the SourceFolder is a folder in my Exchange Mailbox & the Destination Folder was the root folder of my Site Mailbox. 

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:49 PM
  • And where do you try to get the FolderPath value?

Could you please also specify the build numbers of your Outlook?

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:03 PM
  • I try to get the FolderPath value from the destination folder's FolderPath (oDestFolder.FolderPath). 

I also receive the error in Outlook x64 Windows 7 x64 machine. 

I'm giving you the Outlook x64 build number where this error occurs: 14.0.7113.5000 Service Pack 2

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:15 PM
  • A wild thought: try to use the GetFolderFromId method of the Namespace class. Do you get proper results in that case?
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Hello Eugene, using the GetFolderFromID method of the Namespace, I still get the EntryID returned back. I'm wondering if the FolderPath property of the folder itself has some internal error handling (e.g. if it can't return the folder path it gives the entry id)? 
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:54 PM
  • May we see the code you use for moving items and getting the FolderPath value? I have re-read the thread anew and don't see any sample code.

The last resort is to open a support case with Microsoft.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:10 PM
  • Hello Eugene, the problem is still not fixed. I still attempt to retrieve the FolderPath and returns back the EntryID. 

Note that this is now occurring on Public Folders (it does not always occur, but only happens sometimes). 

I cannot post code snippet at the moment. However it is a call to "oFolder.FolderPath" 

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:31 PM
  • How can I suggest something if you don't show the code?

I have never met such issue before, so I would recommend opening a support case with Microsoft.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:59 AM
  • I have just hit this five years later in Outlook 365

I am enumerating thru the NavigationFolders of the calendar module

I get the Folder object for the NavigationFolder object I am looking at and then get the FolderPath of that Folder object

In all cases it returns me a folder path in the format \\...\... etc

EXCEPT when the folder is from the NavigationFolder "Shared Calendars" then I am getting an ID back

My Calendars, Other Calendars, All Group Calendars all return a path as you would expect

Is the correct course of action, if the left two chars are NOT \\ then pass whatever it is to GetFolderFromID and see if you get a valid folder back

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 2:35 PM
  • Hello,

This is a calendar folder shared with you. It has FolderPath equal to EntryID; Store is not set. I suppose FolderPath is missing because of security reasons: a user shouldn't be able to find out the folder structure of another user.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Yes the folder is shared with me and within Outlook I can post appointments to that calendar

Passing the ID (without a folder) to GetFolderFromID  does seem to work in the few cases I have tried it 

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:52 PM