none
Windows 10 Edge browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my Windows 10 machine, I have Edge browser set up as the default browser. However, when I double click on a XML file, the file opens up in IE 11. How can I change that behavior to open up directly in Edge? Also, when I right click on the XML file and try to chose the default app for opening these kind of files, I am not able to locate the Edge browser app. Where can  I find it ? Does some kind of ".exe" or likewise exist for Edge browser which on double click can launch the Edge browser directly ?

Thanks,
    Abhishek

Monday, August 31, 2015 8:19 AM

Answers

• How can I change that behavior to open up directly in Edge?

You may not be able to.  E.g. I think that some content is automatically opened in IE instead of Edge.  However, I was able to open this in Edge and I think it may have been faster.  Woohoo!

file:///C:/Windows/servicing/Sessions/Sessions.xml

Does some kind of ".exe" or likewise exist for Edge browser which on double click can launch the Edge browser directly ?

Of course.  You could use Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) or Process Explorer (procexp.exe) to find it.  I don't know about being able to open it directly that way though, there is a URL method that is preferred:

microsoft-edge://

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 11:57 PM

All replies

• How can I change that behavior to open up directly in Edge?

You may not be able to.  E.g. I think that some content is automatically opened in IE instead of Edge.  However, I was able to open this in Edge and I think it may have been faster.  Woohoo!

file:///C:/Windows/servicing/Sessions/Sessions.xml

Does some kind of ".exe" or likewise exist for Edge browser which on double click can launch the Edge browser directly ?

Of course.  You could use Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) or Process Explorer (procexp.exe) to find it.  I don't know about being able to open it directly that way though, there is a URL method that is preferred:

microsoft-edge://

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 11:57 PM
  • FWIW I tried

assoc .xml=

(as the Administrator) but it hasn't had any effect yet.

Using Run... to try launching the above file:  URL still opens IE.

So, I guess I will have to wait for a boot to see if that change is enough.

TBD.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:23 AM
  • Hi Robert,

When Egde browser is running, i can see two processes running in Task Manager: 1. Microsoft Edge 2. Microsoft Edge Content Process. When I right click on them and navigate to the containing folder, I can see two files( MicrosoftEdge and MicrosoftEdgeCP). If I double click on either of them Edge browser doesnt launch.

Thanks,
    Abhishek

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:27 AM
  • Edge browser doesnt launch.

So, use the "protocol" method in a shortcut.

BTW there has been more discussion about the inconsistency and lack of compatibility for assoc and ftype commands versus the new Default Programs displays here. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8fb1382f-c321-4865-8371-4466fb9b2cee/how-to-remove-extensions-file-type-association-in-windows-10?forum=win10itprosetup

That's a disappointment but I don't know if it is a bug or not.  Probably "by design".

But I have just made another change which doesn't work and therefore requires a reboot to be sure if it will persist which I am not ready for ATM so we will have to wait and see again.

C:\Windows\servicing\Sessions>assoc .xml
    File association not found for extension .xml

C:\Windows\servicing\Sessions>ftype | find /i "xml"
    xmlfile=microsoft-edge:file:///%1

C:\Windows\servicing\Sessions>Sessions.xml

Notice that we can use the exact syntax implied by the ftype command in a Run... dialog to have that file open in Edge.  I don't know if quotes would normally be required or not.

If you want to try this experiment too and report your results first be my guest.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:45 PM
  • HI Robert,

Thanks for all the info you provided me.

I am able to launch Edge browser by using the command: Process.Start("microsoft-edge://").

Lets say I have the following code:

ProcessStartInfo ps = new ProcessStartInfo(browserFile, FiletoOpen_path);

Process.Start(ps);

If in browserFile I pass the location on IE, my file launches in IE. However if I pass "microsoft-edge://" there, the Edge browser launches, but without my file.

Any suggestions for this ?

Thanks,
    Abhishek

Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Any suggestions for this ?

As I indicated replace the two // that you have with another URL.  I used a file:///  URL in my example.

BTW while testing I also tried 3 slashes instead of 2 (who knows why?)  Oops.  I wonder what the use-case for that one is?   <eg>

It's easy to see there is a syntax problem if you try to use both no slashes and no URL--the parser imagines that you are giving it an unknown drive specification.  I didn't check to see what one slash would do.  Hopefully not another loop?   ; }

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:37 PM