none
Excluding cache directories for MS Teams with FSLogix Office Containers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Office 365 containers with FSLogix to cache our Outlook OST's and MS Teams data.

Our disks (VHDX) have been dynamically growing to large sizes due to the MS Teams cache.
    With FSLogix Profile containers it's possible to exclude cache directories using redirection.xml, but I am missing this option for Office containers. Is there a way to exclude cache directories for Teams only using O365 containers?

Regards

• Edited by maxito43 Tuesday, June 23, 2020 12:48 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2020 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

You need to exclude this folder with the redirection.xml : 

<!--Teams-->
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage</Exclude>

But you will need to purge your current VHDX (or delete) to take effect becasue this setting doesnt delete folders already created.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 8:48 AM
  • Hello,

he subject interests me to create the exclusion file for teams here is the file that I prepared

<? xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?>

<FrxProfileFolderRedirection ExcludeCommonFolders = "0">

<Exclude Copy=“0”>AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>

<Exclude Copy=“0">AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Current\Locales</Exclude>

<Exclude Copy=“0”>AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Packages\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>

<Exclude Copy=“0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage</Exclude>

<Exclude Copy=“0”>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache</Exclude>

<Exclude Copy=“0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache</Exclude>

<Exclude Copy=“0”>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Teams\Logs</Exclude>

<Exclude Copy=“0”>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\media-stack</Exclude>

</FrxProfileFolderRedirection>

By cons I do not understand this term ExcludeCommonFolders = "0"
    so the "copy = 0" in the include

(sorry dont speak english)

Thursday, June 25, 2020 4:52 PM
  • Do you know how I can make it use redirection.xml for Office containers?

I'm aware of the GPO setting RedirXML to provide the path of redirection.xml for Profile containers, but I am missing that option for Office containers. There is no registry key either for Office containers.

Thanks

• Edited by maxito43 Friday, June 26, 2020 9:19 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2020 9:19 AM
  • After a lot of testing... it looks like the redirections.xml file *eventually* works to exclude folders within the Office container. It just doesn't do so on first launch of Teams (only tested Teams so can't confirm this with other Office apps).

Specifically referring to MS Teams, where the Teams app has never been launched, and no \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Teams folder exists:

1. Once Teams is launched the data is saved in the Office container no matter the exclusions set in Redirections.xml

2. After next logon the excluded Teams folder(s) show up with no data (what we would expect) yet the data was already saved in the Office container and thus will remain taking up data

3. Have to wait for the user to launch Teams, sign out, mount the Office container and manually delete the data in the folders marked for exclusion

Surely this isn't the way this is supposed to work?

Friday, July 10, 2020 7:31 PM