Toolbar / BHO and Windows 7


  • Hello,

    I am developing a Toolbar for Internet Explorer in C#. The functionality is contained in several DLL's, which I put into the GAC. I then register the Toolbar DLL with regasm, which puts the necessary entries into the registry. This works just fine under Windows XP, but I can't seem to get the Toolbar to show up in Windows 7. I checked the registry manually, all required entries are there and I can enable/disable the Toolbar in IE. But when doing so, nothing happens, it simply doesn't show. Any ides?

    I cannot find a way to debug this behavior either. I tried to enable to IEHost log as described here . This does not seem to work either (at least not in Windows 7), no log file is created.

    Thank you very much.





    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:43 PM

All replies

  • It may be something with Protected Mode, or generally changes with Win7. Do some searching on building IE extensions and working with Protected Mode for things to look out for. Try building a completely minimal toolbar that does almost nothing and see if that works: if it does then the problem is probably with all the other things your toolbar does not working with protected mode, if it doesn't work then it's probably the registration etc that's not working with Win7.

    Sometimes useful is using Process Monitor to trace what iexplore.exe is doing, that way you can see if your dll is even loaded etc.

    fyi - I'm not sure about toolbars but for BHOs & ActiveX controls you don't _need_ to put your dlls into the GAC. Can make it simpler for dev/deployment if you don't.

    Hope that's a little helpful.

    - Rory

    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 12:31 AM
  • I have the same problem.  If you have already solved it, could you tell me the solution.  Otherwise I will open an incident with Bizspark support.  THanks.



    Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:22 PM