none
How do I turn off video autoplay in Internet Explorer?

Question

• I do not want any kind of videos or animations to play unless I choose to click on the "Play" button.

This includes Flash, HTML5, GIF, MP4, or any type of video that may be invented.

What would be ideal is to have a new set of controls in Internet Options that would allow the user to control/override the video controls in all web pages.

For example, HTML5 has the <video> ... </video> element that has certain attributes:
    autobuffer
    autoplay
    controls
    loop

The user should be able to control each these attributes on a global basis for all web pages. For example:

Control Panel
    Internet Options
    Advanced tab
    Video options (new category)
    autobuffer - yes or no (new option)
    autoplay - yes or no (new option)
    controls - yes or no (new option)
    loop - yes or no (new option)

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

web designers make the choice to annoy you or not with autoplay or scripted autoplay content.

Contact the website administrators to make your complaints or add the sites to your IE Restricted sites zone which will stop some annoyances but not all... Ensure also that you have turned on Tracking Protection and ActiveX Filtering (Tools menu in IE).

Possibly a developer could create an extension for IE that would do all that you want sites not to do, but I don't know of any, and generally recommend addons free browsing.

Post general questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com. Include with your questions the full address of any websites you are having issues with. This allows the support engineers to visit the problem sites to investigate and make recommendations.

this forum was for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers using MSIE browsers.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

web designers make the choice to annoy you or not with autoplay or scripted autoplay content.

Contact the website administrators to make your complaints or add the sites to your IE Restricted sites zone which will stop some annoyances but not all... Ensure also that you have turned on Tracking Protection and ActiveX Filtering (Tools menu in IE).

Possibly a developer could create an extension for IE that would do all that you want sites not to do, but I don't know of any, and generally recommend addons free browsing.

Post general questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com. Include with your questions the full address of any websites you are having issues with. This allows the support engineers to visit the problem sites to investigate and make recommendations.

this forum was for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers using MSIE browsers.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:49 PM
  • Kevin, that is a really dumb, condescending answer.  I can't understand how anyone would mark that as an answer.  There are thousands of websites, and no user has time to write letters to the web developers.  Most other browsers provide some functionality for disabling that for the reason that I just stated.  Who exactly are you trying to help?  Your own ego?
    • Proposed as answer by уo mаmaBanned Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:38 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:08 AM
  • Same here

Kevin, that is a really dumb, condescending answer!!! PERIOD!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:46 PM
  • Proposed as answer by                             уo mаma<abbr class="affil">Banned</abbr>                         Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:38 AM

Rob^_^

Saturday, April 15, 2017 10:26 PM
  •   Rob^_^'s answer is, well, unhelpful.  It should have started off with the REAL answer, which is that IE does not have a way to disable video autoplay.  Begging a web designer to turn it off is unhelpful because it will fall upon deaf ears (or blind eyes) since the designer wants the reader to see the video that plays.  

What will happen, practically speaking, is that ppl will limit their use of IE, which for the IE web designer is what s/he wants also.  Unfortunately, ppl's experience with IE will feed their prejudices towards using any MS product (i.e., Edge) when other browsers do have inherent ability to stop autoplay of videos.  So, well done, Rob^_^.  you have driven that much more business to the other evil empire, g**gle.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:14 PM
  • Hi hydro encephalitis,

aol.com, twitter.com ....

on my machine the mute  button is (fnkey)-f6.

MS encourage bob and alice  users to use Edge (default browser on win10). It supports the same extensions model as other browsers that already have extensions for that purpose (block or mute autoplay elements in the current tab, iframe, pinned tab). For some reason, none of the browser vendors have native support for auto-play prevention. All require a third-party extension.

I have my own extension for IE... works like a charm...(I don't run flash anymore).

this is a forum for questions about web site development. You can submit feedback to the MSFT at their suersVoice or feedback portal.

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/257854-microsoft-edge-developer

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, February 23, 2018 1:58 AM
  • hi canem faciem,

Chrome
    chrome://flags
    "Autoplay policy" = "Document user activation is required."

Firefox
    about:config
    "media.autoplay.enabled" = "false"

I have my own extension for IE... works like a charm... (I don't run ms browsers anymore)

Regards,
    canem spiritus
    Friday, February 23, 2018 5:45 PM
  • thanks, I can remove the extensions now... oh no... it doesn't work in fx and chrome.... oh the web pages use dynamic scripts. nullius in verba.

Rob^_^

Monday, February 26, 2018 5:55 AM
  • hi again canem faciem,

You said "none of the browser vendors have native support for auto-play prevention."
    You are wrong.  Only ms browsers don't.
    Monday, February 26, 2018 7:40 AM