problems with printing from Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody!

I work in a software company and we receive from our customers a lot of claims on Internet Explorer Print function.

Finally we decided to create a plug-in for Internet Explorer, which helps to manage webpage printing (www.printwebpage.net).

Please help me with your ideas to create a product which will be really useful!

My questions are:

What are the main problems you face with in webprinting?

Which features do you need to be totally satisfied with printing from Internet Explorer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hel.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:10 PM

All replies

• I have a HP OfficeJet G85.  I use VISTA operating system.  When I try to print, "nothing happens".  I can see "print preview" but when I click the "print command", nothing happens at all!  Any suggestions?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:09 PM
  • You should not take care of what do you need, if you are developing a WEb Site, then you should just use JavaScript code to print the actual window, something like this on a button:

onclick ="window.print();"

if you want to print a specific region of the page the you should enclose that region in a Div like this:

<div id="PrintRegion" runat="sever">

Put anything you want to print inside here

</div>

Then instead of printing directly, you should find the Div using JavaScript, create a popup window and render the entire Print Region on the popup window, call window.open() and for the popup window, set the body.onload to call the window.print() method;

So when the popup window loads, it displays only what is in your PrintRegion Div and on Load calls the method the print itself.

You can additionaly add different css class for the print window if you want to change the styles of the printed documents.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:18 PM
  • @Besir:
    Which then proceeds to... not work...
    From whatever event I'm calling a custom created popup window, the window.print() method will not fire.
    If I replace the window.print() method with a simple alert("Argh, this is driving me nuts!"), you'll get a nice alert box exclaiming my frustration.
    But the window.print() stubbornly remains silent.
    Any other suggestions ?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:00 AM