I recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. A project I'm working on, which had been working in IE8 on XP, didn't work when I tried it on the new machine.
Here is a boiled down test case.
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN' 'http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd'>
var w = window.open();
var windowHTML =
"<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN' 'http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd'>\n" +
When I go to test.html, I would expect to see a new window pop up with alerts for "test" then "test2". In all other browsers I've tried (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and IE 6, 7, & 8 on pre-Windows 7 systems) it works. However,
when I try this in IE8 on Windows 7, it opens the blank page, but no alerts appear (or occasionally just one).
I'm still really curious if IE developers know about this issue. It sure seems like a bug to me (though admittedly, somewhat obscure).