object doesn't support property or method 'play'

• I am using Visual C# Express 2010 and the webBrowser object to navigate to the following HTML5 web page:

<!-- saved from url=(0016)http://localhost -->
    <!-- the above line fixes the comment: -->
    <!-- internet explorer restricted this web page from running scripts or ActiveX controls -->

<title>Simple Video Example</title>
         <script type="text/javascript">

function playVideo()
           var ip = document.getElementById('myVideo'); //text box
           var v = document.getElementById('v1');      //video element
           v.src = ip.value;    
     function pauseVideo()
           var v = document.getElementById('v1');
     <video id="v1" style="width:25%" controls="controls" >Video tag is not supported</video>
     <input type="text" id="myVideo" size="60" />
     <button onclick="playVideo();">Play</button>
     <button onclick="pauseVideo();">Pause</button>

The machine runs Windows 7, the browser I use is IE9. The webBrowser object is 9.0.8112.16430.

Although this page runs fine on the IE9 browser (outside of the VC# 2010 Forms app) when I run it using the webBrowser object in VC# 2010 I see the following error:

Object doesn't support property or method 'play' when I click the play button.

Can you please tell me how I can fix this?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:36 AM

• Hi,

Thats because the WB control uses IE7Emulation mode (by default) and does not recognise html5 or <video> tag attributes and methods. (document.documentMode)

If you also examine its userAgent string (navigator.userAgent) you will see that it is also using the IE7 userAgent String and version vector.

see for instructions to add a feature control entry to allow your WB control to use the IE9 DocumentMode and UAS.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:29 AM