none
IE11 F12 Developer Tools Not Working / Blank

Question

• I have been having an issue with Internet Explorer 11 in that the developer tools seem to be broken or just not working at all. When I hit f12 a window pops up at the bottom with a blank white screen. I can right click on it in the left area and get a menu. When I click create a shortcut in that menu I see it is referencing F12Resources.dll in the internet explorer folder. When I click view source this is what I get:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
        <head>
            <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=11" />
            <title>F12 Tools</title>
            <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="header.css" data-plugin-theme="true"/>

<!-- Daytona Includes -->
            <script type="text/javascript" src="../common/plugin.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="../Common/CommonMinimal.js"></script>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="HeaderMerged.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
                // The main entry point
                F12.Host.Header.App.main();
            </script>
        </head>

<body>
            <div id="f12Logo"></div>
            <nav id="tabContainer">
                <div id="prevTabButton" class="tabNavButton tabNavButtonDisabled"></div>
                <div id="tabListContainer">
                    <ul id="tabList">
                    </ul>
                </div>
                <div id="nextTabButton" class="tabNavButton tabNavButtonDisabled"></div>
            </nav>
        </body>
    </html>

I do not see the files listed below in the Internet Explorer folder or even anywhere on my system:

plugin.js, CommonMinimal.js, HeaderMerged.js

So I wonder could this be the problem?

Please if anybody can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have windows 7 home premium.

I have exhausted my searches on the web and think it's time to get help.

I have tried the gpedit.msc edits and found nothing relevant in that area.

I have also tried some registry edits and found nothing there too.

Thank You,

Sean Mulroy

• Edited by sdmulroy24 Sunday, March 02, 2014 3:31 PM
    Sunday, March 02, 2014 1:55 PM

Answers

• @ sdmulroy24

Previous versions of IE developer tools will not work on IE11.

Uninstall any previous tools (especially standalone version installations) if (still) present, and make a fresh (re)install of the latest IE11 download. Don't try to install IE tools over IE11 installation separately because they are already threre as a part of IE11 installation. Doing so will make a conflict that will reflect in experienced result. Reboot the computer even if not prompted.

Good luck.

• Marked as answer by sdmulroy24 Wednesday, March 05, 2014 5:23 AM
    Monday, March 03, 2014 3:26 AM
  • I ordered an OS Disk for my computer. I think starting over with a clean install should fix this. Thank you for all the replies. I don't have the option to open IE in no addons mode but i have disabled all of them. I went to uninstall the previous dev tools but didn't find any so i must have already uninstalled them.
    Monday, March 03, 2014 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the first step in troubleshooting web browser issue is to test in noAddons mode.

It would appear that you have an IE Addon that is hijacking the f12 keyboard shortcut or you have used a registry tweak to use the IE9 version of developer tools.

F12Resources.dll is a resource dll for the IE11 dev tools.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Sunday, March 02, 2014 11:22 PM
  • @ sdmulroy24

Previous versions of IE developer tools will not work on IE11.

Uninstall any previous tools (especially standalone version installations) if (still) present, and make a fresh (re)install of the latest IE11 download. Don't try to install IE tools over IE11 installation separately because they are already threre as a part of IE11 installation. Doing so will make a conflict that will reflect in experienced result. Reboot the computer even if not prompted.

Good luck.

Monday, March 03, 2014 3:26 AM
  • This suggests that one or more of the objects used to implement F12 isn't registered properly. Try clicking Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset...

Monday, March 03, 2014 4:37 PM
  • I ordered an OS Disk for my computer. I think starting over with a clean install should fix this. Thank you for all the replies. I don't have the option to open IE in no addons mode but i have disabled all of them. I went to uninstall the previous dev tools but didn't find any so i must have already uninstalled them.
    Monday, March 03, 2014 7:35 PM
  • Yep that fixed it. Reinstalled Windows 7 and it works. I really like the new tools.
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 5:22 AM
  • if MS didn't supply that, I think it's a good clue for this mystery.

Good clue anyway.  FWIW I do not see Daytona when I use F12 in IE11.  (But I do see comments in the DOM explorer and Script Debugger.)

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/cecba376-3d3f-4eaf-bf01-20983857c2b1/default.aspx

(Microsoft search for
        Daytona
    )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 6:30 PM
  • @Sillybe

eat more wind...

<comment from programmer>Daytona includes</comment from programmer>

Rob^_^

Thursday, March 06, 2014 3:29 AM
  • This worked for me. Thank you very much!
    Monday, October 20, 2014 5:31 PM
  • How would I go about uninstalling any previous tools? I can't find anything in add/remove programs (or programs and features if you prefer)... it is Windows 7 Pro, x64 SP1.  I looked in the "turn Windows features on or off", and also clicked "View installed updates".  Couldn't find where to uninstall development tools.  This computer was clean-installed 2 weeks ago and I would much rather find a "fix" that would not require a complete re-imaging. More than half the computers in our company (about 100 computers total) are "infected" with this bug.  Even with a WDS server, it would take a very long time to re-image all those computers.  So how can I uninstall those developer tools?  Your help is very sincerely appreciated!

Best,

Sam

• Edited by fluxblocker Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:01 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 6:30 PM
  • More than half the computers in our company (about 100 computers) are "infected" with this bug.

Sounds like a Policies problem then.  Are you disallowing No Add-ons mode too?

FWIW I tried simulating using some of the sketchy details from this thread.  Run... (Win-R)

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

I was allowed to use F12 (actually Alt-x l or maybe it was Alt-o D)  but I assume the same result would occur.  And then nothing happened until I used Stop (Alt-V p).  BTW that was expected.

Try that?  What do you see?

However, it also sounds ("more than half") that you have two cases to compare for their essential differences.  So, what are they?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Hey, everyone, you don't need to do a clean install to fix this!  If you have a bunch of malware, or just need to do a clean install for some other reason, then by all means, do it!  But for the F12 developer tools thing, I found a 30-second fix.  Go to start, run, dcomcnfg.exe, then expand Component Services, then expand Computers, and then click on My Computer (right-click it and select Properties).  Then go to the Default Properties tab. 

Set the Default Authentication Level to Connect.  Set Default Impersonation Level to Identify.  Click OK.

This worked on all of our computers that had this issue so far, for 64-bit machines... I hope this helps you!

• Edited by fluxblocker Friday, January 15, 2016 10:19 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 10:17 PM
  • I have been revisiting this issue for almost 12 months on my laptop, trying countless things.

Finally!!!! Your dcomcnfg solution worked for me.

Thankyou

Phil

Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:05 PM
  • [SOLVED] Because you all deserve it. :-)

*********The blank screen DEV TOOLS FIX**************

The Fix:

it is because of a 32-bit and 64-bit issue. You need to verify which version of windows you're running

Go here and verify (Control Panel\System and Security\System)

and then set IE to work with the version your running. If running 32-bit you will not encounter this blank screen.

it seems you have a 64-bit version of windows running, then you need to do the following:

Open IE, go to "setting" or the icon for settings

Find "Internet Options"

Find "Advanced"

Find "Security"

Check-mark the box for "Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protection Mode*"

Then click "Apply"

Then click "Ok"

Then restart IE and enjoy your DEV TOOLS!

Peace out! :-)

Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:08 PM