none
Access Back End on networked drive appears to be Read Only RRS feed

• Question

• I have on my computer the Y drive mapped to a Folder on the C drive on the same computer.  (I do this because I maintain an Access DB for a small business, and they have a Back End on a Networked Y drive on their system.)  This has suddenly stopped allowing me to change the tables from the Access Front End on my system, making it appear that the Access Back End is read only.  This is happening on both my laptop and my desktop computers (both on my own network).  All the permissions on my Y drive allow everything for everyone.  When I remap the Y drive on my Desktop computer to be linked to my laptop (which has the same file structure, and the Access Back End in the same place as the Desktop computer),  it all works OK.

So it appears that mapping a drive to a folder on the same computer no longer allows me full control over files when accessed through Access FE.  Clearly there are work-arounds such as cross linking my desktop and laptop Front Ends and Back Ends in Access, but can anyone please suggest a cure.

I considered whether this was a Windows problem rather than an Access problem, but I can access and edit files directly on the Y drive.  Only the FE - BE link seems to have made itself read only.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:31 PM

Answers

• It might be simpler to use Subst. Open a command window and run the command:

Subst Y: C:\YourLocalFolder
    Of course, you can also create a batch file to run the command.

Gustav Brock

• Marked as answer by AndyColRomsey Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:02 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:13 AM

All replies

• It might be simpler to use Subst. Open a command window and run the command:

Subst Y: C:\YourLocalFolder
    Of course, you can also create a batch file to run the command.

Gustav Brock

• Marked as answer by AndyColRomsey Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:02 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:13 AM
  • Probably you had some change in your account...or somehow it looses permissions 

Anyway try this

net use Y: \\SERVERNAME\NAMEOFSHARE /user:YOUR_USERNAME YOUR_PASSWORD /persistent:Yes

If this fails then you should try with Administrator credentials

net use Y: \\SERVERNAME\NAMEOFSHARE /user:ADMINISTRATOR_USER THE_PASSWORD_OF_THE_ADMINISTRATOR_USER /persistent:Yes

Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:23 AM
  • John

Thanks to you and to Gustav Brock for those suggestions.  Scripting is a bit out of my comfort zone, but I will dig out my big book of Scripting and try these suggestions.  They imply that the problem is an OS one rather than an Access one, but I am able to do anything with any file that I run from the Y drive in programs other than Access, which lets me see the Back End but not interact with it.  I'll post here the results of my efforts when I have a chance to apply your suggestions.

With Thanks

Andy C

Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Uh, no books needed.

Open a command window, type my single line of code (with your path, of course), press Enter, and you are done.

Or, open Notepad, enter the single command, and save as "AttachDriveY.cmd".
    Now, double-click the file AttachDriveY.cmd, or create a shortcut to run it.

Gustav Brock

Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Gustav

Thanks for your quick reply.  I did as you suggested, while the Y drive was still set up on my desktop as being the laptop C drive.  So I typed in "Y: C:\Data" - Data being my folder name and got the error message "Invalid parameter - Y:".  So I then disconnected the Y drive to leave it unassigned and repeated the entry, to get the Error message "The system cannot find the drive specified."  Frustrating!

I use Dell Support Assist, which tells me that my network is working fine.

Andy C

Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:30 PM
  • You need the full code line:

Subst Y: C:\Data

And, of course, drive Y: must be free to use.

To get rid of drive Y: later, use the command:

Subst Y: /d

Gustav Brock

Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:39 PM
  • Gustav

Thanks again for your patience and talking me through this.  Your suggestion has now worked and my Access FE will now talk to the BE via the Y drive, which is now a network link back to a folder on the C: drive of the same computer.  I have no idea why the conventional way of mapping a network drive via File Manager would not work, but I do notice that now on File Manager my Y drive is shown as "Local Disk (Y:), rather than "C:\Data (Y:)" as it was previously.  Whatever the reason, it works and I shall not do anything else with it.  And I have learned a bit more about scripting!

With thanks again

Andy C

Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:02 PM