none
problem with percentage based widths and assigning values to this.whatever

Question

• http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/scripts/demo/newAttr.html

In IE8 (on my 1440x900 monitor), hitting PgDn on that to get to the bottom of the textarea doesn't really work.  I hit PgDn and the scroll bar jumps back up to the top.  It makes editing rather difficult.

If you use Compatibility View it works.  Per that, it also works in IE7.

Any ideas?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Add attributes for cols and rows for the textarea tag. This is a known issue with IE8 RTM.

<textarea style="width: 100%; height: 200px;" onkeyup="this.x = ''" onclick="this.x = ''" onselect="this.x = ''" rows="20" cols="100" x="">

Regards.
    Rob^_^
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Why does 100 work?  I tried setting cols to 20 and 2000 (with rows set to 20 both times) and both of those had the same issue.  99 and 101, however, didn't.  Each line of a's has 143 of them.  On a 1024x768 monitor, only 123 are displayed before they wrap around on the next line.

Is the 100 cols figure something that's resolution dependant?  Is there some work around that can be used until a patch fixes the issue?

Thanks!
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Its a known issue. 100 is the default, but IE8 does not know that for now.
    Rob^_^
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:13 AM
  • This is currently a big issue with the mediawiki editforms. Does anyone have a solution ? Or do we now have to restort to:

<textarea rows="20" cols="100">

And only set a style for browser != IE8 ?
    This is my new top favourite for the "most annoying IE bug". 
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Hi DJ,

Can you please post back with a test page address that we can have a look at. It is a bit much to ask us to download and isntall your complete application.

Regards.
    Rob^_^
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:44 PM