none
Where does the IE11 download history in Windows 10 stored? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to remove all the IE11 download history manually, but i do not know where the history stored? can anyone tell me? thank you.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi gaxjyxq,

I tried to check the documents to find the download history file location but all documents shows the results for Win 7 and Win 8.  Which is different then Win 10.

I will try to discuss the issue with other engineers and try to know their suggestions on this issue.

I will try to provide the information as soon as I get any update on this issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 6:21 AM
  • Thank you so much.
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 9:28 AM
  • I think it is stored in an ESE database. See Browser History Viewer - Free tool to view web browser history. You might be able to find a tool to edit ESE databases but you definitely should be careful and be sure to have backups and such but you still might mess up if you do not know what you are doing.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:28 PM
  • Hi gaxjyxq,

In the Internet Explorer window, click the gear icon and click the "View Downloads" button.

Then, when the "View Downloads - Internet Explorer" window is open, at the bottom of the window, click "Clear List".

Then, you're done!

Regards

Friday, December 13, 2019 7:42 PM
  • Dear, i want to know the location that stroe "Download History".

Saturday, December 14, 2019 4:06 AM
  • As far as I know, Edge and Internet Explorer uses the same ESE database to store its download history, the location as below:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

When we use Notepad to review it, perhaps almost all of the file will most likely be gibberish that makes no sense, you could try to find the download file according this name (using Notepad Find... option or Ctrl+F), and might be you need to add space between the word character (for example: the download file name is "Document.docx", you might need to use the "D o c u m e n t . d o c x" to find it)

Reference: 

Microsoft Edge History Location

Browsing history location of Edge browser

• Edited by Zhi Lv Friday, December 20, 2019 10:07 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Thank you, i will view it.
    Friday, December 20, 2019 10:12 AM
  • Default location for downloaded data is "C:\User\Username\download", but while we download any content we can chose the location where the file will be stored once downloading completed. we can change the location to save the downloaded data. setting is located on right hand side corner, gear icon. choose view downloads( shortcut key Ctrl + J), a window will popup. click on Option left side down corner and location is mentioned there. you can choose the different folder to save the downloaded files 

Friday, December 20, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Also see:

ESEDatabaseView is a general utility for viewing ESE databases but it also has a special command for opening the IE10 and IE11 database.

Those utilities will not remove history but they at least let you look at the raw data.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, December 20, 2019 10:57 AM
  • Thank you.
    Friday, December 20, 2019 12:35 PM
  • But the file "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat" locked and cannot open...
    Tuesday, December 24, 2019 9:19 PM
  • Hi gaxjyxq,

Do you mean you are meeting the following prompt when open the ESE database?

If that is the case, it means another process is using this database, you could try to copy this database to another folder, then, it will tell you which process is using this database, try to use Task Manager to end the related process, after that, you could copy the database and open it.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 5:32 AM
  • copy the database and open it

And ESEDatabaseView does that automatically.

But then the problem is how to update the data. Updating a copy will not work. I assume the only way to update the data is to make a browser extension. I assume that is possible. The extension would need permission to access the history for all domains, if possible.

One possible solution would be to somehow prevent IE from executing. I think that is more difficult than it should be if we want to do everything in the same account. So perhaps a separate account is needed or perhaps something like Safe Mode would be necessary.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, December 26, 2019 9:22 PM