Error: Unsupported video type or invalid file path when trying to play mp4 RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this question about a week ago on another thread but never received an answer (and the thread appears to no longer be valid/active) so am trying again.

I have a page, http://www.davidsimcik.com/slideshow_simple.htm (where I have stripped out everything except the HTML5 video tag). The video plays fine on Firefox and Chrome (I realize those use different coding), but dies on IE 10 with an"Unsupported video type or invalid file type path" error. When I run the page locally using IE, the video plays. The website is running IIS6 and the hoster says they have added the video/mp4 MIME type definition and can duplicate the error.

I am hoping one of the experts on this forum can shed some light.

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:32 AM

Answers

• Never got that to work ...

Ended up uploading the MP4 file to Vimeo and using that.

It would have been nice to figure out what the problem was but I just don't have the time to keep dealing with it.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:38 AM

All replies

• HI,

Renaming a .mpeg file with a .mp4 extension does not make it a mp4 file....

Inside any binary file there is a digital signature that confers to the known file type extension.

here is a list of possible conversion tools

http://www.bing.com/search?q=convert+mpeg+to+mp4&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE11SR

I use camtasia studio, which can produce output in a number of formats.

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

Contact your MVP lead for details about any software deals available from third-party vendors.

Rob^_^

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:28 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I used Miro Video converter to convert from .MOV to .MP4 (and also to .OGV and .WEBM). Are you saying this definitely is not a .MP4 file? If you have experienced issues using Miro I will install Cantasia, but I'm just trying to understand since the web page works fine if I run it on my local system not on a web site

Appreciate all your help.

Monday, August 19, 2013 3:27 AM
  • URL Protocol Method Result Type Received Taken Initiator Wait‎‎ Start‎‎ Request‎‎ Response‎‎ Cache read‎‎ Gap‎‎
    /slideshow/DAVIDSIMCIK.mp4 HTTP GET 200 video/mpeg 256 B 2.38 s navigate 0 0 281 2106 0 0

http://www.davidsimcik.com/slideshow/davidsimcik.mp4

is a mpeg file that has been renamed with a mp4 extension.

Rob^_^

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I installed camtasia studio and used it to convert the original .MOV to a .MP4. The new file is less than half the size of the one that you say is a renamed .MPEG (created by Miro). I uploaded it and cleared cache, but receive the same error. ??

Monday, August 19, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

Here is instructions to configure your IIS6 server for the mp4 mime-type.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/cd72c0dc-c5b8-42e4-96c2-b3c656f99ead.mspx?mfr=true

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Well this may get interesting. The hoster claims they have added the mp4 mime-type - I don't have access to the IIS Manager mmc to check (or access to the command line for that matter). Are you able to determine that the mime-type is not defined correctly?
    Monday, August 19, 2013 10:11 PM
  • no. its using video/mpeg

download and install fiddler from http://fiddler2.com

and start capturing and then click on this link to the file on your server.

http://www.davidsimcik.com/slideshow/davidsimcik.mp4

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
    Content-Length: 3908913
    Content-Type: video/mpeg
    Content-Range: bytes 32577-3941489/3941490
    Last-Modified: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:03:02 GMT
    Accept-Ranges: bytes
    ETag: "373db833ed9cce1:10cc"
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:35:25 GMT

Rob^_^

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:37 AM
  • The hoster does not seem to want to cooperate with me. They have given me all sorts of runarounds, first saying they don't add mime types, that I have to upgrade to IIS 7 and create my own web.config. Then they said they added the mime type so its my problem if it doesn't work. Then they said they didn't add it, but .mp4 is there as a default (really? in IIS 6?). The latest is its there (not sure if they admit to adding it or its being there by default because the story keeps changing), but they won't change it - I have to do that via IIS 7 and my own web.config. Of course last week they swore I should do a web.config in IIS 6.

I've also been told its my browser and I need to upgrade to the latest version of IE (which must not be IE 10, which I'm running). Or I should install Chrome. Or its a coding issue and they referred me to a w3schools page, which happens to look exactly like the code I have.

I'm not exactly thrilled about upgrading the server to Windows Server 8 / IIS 7 just to be able to create my own web.config file because they aren't being cooperative. Its frustrating.

And I did appreciate flatsam's postings.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:18 AM
  • The second one was created with Camtasia which Bender strongly recommended I use. With both tools I specified to convert from .MOV to .MP4. No idea why these are MPEG-4 ... although if the server appears to have the mimetype set to video/mpeg you would think these would work if they're really MPEG-4?
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:22 AM
  • LOL - although there wasn't a link to that "widely viewed Microsoft site" - unless you're saying I should identify that well-known hoster here (its *not* Microsoft). Since I don't want to get kicked off the forums, all I'll say is their name is in the first third of the alphabet and they're located in the US.

Here is the latest response from their support staff - apparently they are refusing to make any changes on a "legacy" IIS 6 server (I didn't set up the hosting account which was created back in 2007, I'm just doing some website work for the account owner):

"The MP4 .mp4 is set up by default on the server as the content type audio/mpeg. When we reviewed it, we essentially made sure the .mp4 was added to the server and wasn't missing. It was on there by default but we were confirming there were no issues with it and testing it. To configure .mp4 as the content type video/mp4, this can only be done on an IIS7 server as this modification will need to be done through a web.config file. we cannot change the MIME type setting on the IIS6 server. Making this change in an IIS6 platform would not be read through the web.config file so the MIME would not be affective if added to a web.config for IIS6. I apologize for the confusion. If you wish to have it set for video/mp4, this would need to be done on an IIS7 platform as the server can read those modifications in the web.config on IIS7. While IIS6 does allow for this modification, this is a server configuration setting for our Legacy hosting accounts that we will not modify."

Misspelling are theirs, not mine. I personally think upgrading a server from Windows Server 2003 to 2008 just to go from IIS 6 to IIS 7 so I can make a mime-type change is a bit nuts but they don't seem to care. I may just need to shop for a different hoster, but I suspect I will end up with a higher version of IIS and have to configure a web.config file anyway ... (since I doubt I'll have access to the UI).

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Hi Kerrie,

contact your MVP lead for recommendations about MVP benefits that may meet your requirements.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Hello Rob,

Which requirements are you referring to?

If this is in relation to web hosting, I am unaware of a MVP benefit when doing commercial development? Please clarify what this is in regards to.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

Cloud hosting.

However... I don't see why your current hosting provider can't make the necessary changes for the mp4 mime-type.

Here's an answer to do it with scripting....

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1910658/how-can-i-set-global-mime-types-for-iis6-programmatically

Rob^_^

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:28 AM
  • (Sigh.)

I doubt they have PowerShell installed on a Windows 2003 Server, and they certainly don't sound like they would install anything to help me out. The message I'm hearing is they won't do anything to help me, even if I gave them a script. And I don't have access to the command line to run anything myself. They're not making things easy.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Use flash or jQuery carousel instead.

Camtasia outputs to flash.

or

IE9/10 and 11 also support WebM.... just remove the MP4 <source>

Rob^_^

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:43 AM
  • @Fatman, @Idle Curiosity, @Curiously Idle, @Quincy Magoo, @Domiti Nicholas, @PCButtsOT: I already have a puppy that follows me around.

On the internet nobody knows your a dog.

Rob^_^

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:33 PM
  • For some reason - maybe because I don't have Flash installed? - Camtasia doesn't show an output option for Flash. All it shows me is MP4.

There is a description of MP4 format as Flash/HTML4 player, but its not a SWF file, which is what I thought you were referring to.

Could you clarify? Thank you.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:24 PM
  • IN the output folder you should have the resources for your slidehshow/movie, both mp4 and swf versions.

there should be a file with _controller.swf...

Refer to the Camtasia help files on how to make a slide-show.

Rob^_^

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Never got that to work ...

Ended up uploading the MP4 file to Vimeo and using that.

It would have been nice to figure out what the problem was but I just don't have the time to keep dealing with it.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:38 AM
  • update,  just updated my windows ie 11 on my windows 7  and video html5 works..  

also heard MS removed 8.1 update because of issues, and google  is not working on some IE11 -- 

so my issue is something with windows 8.1 IE11 and something else.. 

Monday, October 21, 2013 12:19 AM