none
report columns RRS feed

• Question

• i want to create a report with several columns (a variable amount)

how can i put a fixed text at the left side of the page ?

Monday, August 19, 2019 8:55 AM

Answers

• I don't know how closely it would apply to what you have in mind, but you might like to take a look at DatabaseBasics.zip in my public databases folder at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=44CC60D7FEA42912&id=44CC60D7FEA42912!169

Note that if you are using an earlier version of Access you might find that the colour of some form objects such as buttons shows incorrectly and you will need to  amend the form design accordingly.  

If you have difficulty opening the link, copy the link (NB, not the link location) and paste it into your browser's address bar.

In this little demo file, towards the end of the section on 'retrieving data from the database' is a form from which three reports can be opened, each retuning the same data in different formats.  Report 3 returns a variable number of columns depending on the data.  It achieves this by the use of a parent report, in which are two multi-column subreports in across-then-down column layout, one of which returns the column headings, the other of which returns the values in the columns.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

• Marked as answer by tekoko10 Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:10 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 6:01 PM

All replies

• Insert a Label control box on the page.
    Monday, August 19, 2019 1:12 PM
  • If with "a variable number of columns" you mean you want to set the number of columns at runtime, that is not possible. This property is set at design time in the Page Setup dialog, Columns tab.

You can certainly create a 2, 3, and 4-column report and at runtime decide which of them to use.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Monday, August 19, 2019 1:52 PM
  • I don't know how closely it would apply to what you have in mind, but you might like to take a look at DatabaseBasics.zip in my public databases folder at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=44CC60D7FEA42912&id=44CC60D7FEA42912!169

Note that if you are using an earlier version of Access you might find that the colour of some form objects such as buttons shows incorrectly and you will need to  amend the form design accordingly.  

If you have difficulty opening the link, copy the link (NB, not the link location) and paste it into your browser's address bar.

In this little demo file, towards the end of the section on 'retrieving data from the database' is a form from which three reports can be opened, each retuning the same data in different formats.  Report 3 returns a variable number of columns depending on the data.  It achieves this by the use of a parent report, in which are two multi-column subreports in across-then-down column layout, one of which returns the column headings, the other of which returns the values in the columns.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

• Marked as answer by tekoko10 Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:10 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 6:01 PM
  • Thanks Mr. Sheridan!
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:10 AM