none
CustomProperties in Compose mode for Outlook Javascript Mail App RRS feed

• Question

• We tried writing a sample mail app (with VS2013). In Compose mode of an email, a simple property was set to item CustomProperties, and the email was then sent to a few users.

On the receiver end, the same mail app was invoked, but the CustomProperty was received as "undefined".

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/6ab8c3f7-3553-4e3c-b673-3eff49594127/outlook-app-and-exchange-routing-agent-data-interaction?forum=appsforoffice

seems to suggest that Microsoft can reproduce it, but please confirm the reproducing, and include any workarounds, and estimate to fix.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Office,

I am sorry for the mistake in the Compose Mode: Need to update appointment extended properties via EWS, but ItemId is not available. Using customProperties in compose mode will not pass this value to all receivers since it is item-specific, I noticed it later. For your issue, we will consider using the exchange extend properties as a workaround. But a new problem will be encountered that we cannot get the item id in the compose mode. From the last reply from Jeffrey in this thread, I think we could store the custom properties in a custom storage. For example, we could store the custom properties in a database with the subject which is unique identifier key, and when you need the custom properties, you could query from it.

Hope it will help.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Office,

>> seems to suggest that Microsoft can reproduce it, but please confirm the reproducing, and include any workarounds, and estimate to fix.

I made a test with the code in the link above, and I could not get the customproperty from the apps for office as you descript in your thread.

I think item ids are different. For item-specific, the custom property is associated with the item id. For a workaround, I will recommend you use the EWS extended properties instead of the item-specific custom properties.

If you want the data of the CustomProperties could be passed from the sender to receiver, I will recommend you submit a feedback in the link below:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:01 AM
  • In https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/d9863fcd-6f4c-4a74-a664-64cce08c1efc/compose-mode-need-to-update-appointment-extended-properties-via-ews-but-itemid-is-not-available?forum=appsforoffice, you suggest to use CustomProperties, which now is confirmed doesnt work. That thread is about ExtendedProperties at item level doesnt work for compose mode either. Are you saying that thread is wrong, and extended properties will work?
    Saturday, May 16, 2015 3:56 PM
  • Hi Office,

I am sorry for the mistake in the Compose Mode: Need to update appointment extended properties via EWS, but ItemId is not available. Using customProperties in compose mode will not pass this value to all receivers since it is item-specific, I noticed it later. For your issue, we will consider using the exchange extend properties as a workaround. But a new problem will be encountered that we cannot get the item id in the compose mode. From the last reply from Jeffrey in this thread, I think we could store the custom properties in a custom storage. For example, we could store the custom properties in a database with the subject which is unique identifier key, and when you need the custom properties, you could query from it.

Hope it will help.

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:56 AM