none
Select box size change crashes IE11

Question

• I'm the lead developer for CarComplaints.com, woke up this morning to a ton of emails from IE11 users complaining that clicking on our select boxes crashes the browser.

The affected dropdowns start with the select box size set to show multiple options, & then we set the select box's size attribute back to 1 with an onchange event. Pretty basic.

I narrowed the problem down to this: http://jsfiddle.net/8GT7u/

For a workaround, I found if I change the code so the size is set within a setTimeout(), then IE11 handles it without crashing. Any suggestions or other workarounds?

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:37 PM

Answers

• For a workaround, I found if I change the code so the size is set within a setTimeout(), then IE11 handles it without crashing. Any suggestions or other workarounds?

The best, or the easiest workaround on this issue, (reusing code given by Mr. Max) is to:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    	<title>select size 1</title>
    	<meta charset="utf-8">
    </head>
    <body>
    	<select size=2 onclick="this.size=1">
    		<option selected>click on me</option>
    		<option>or me!</option>
    	</select>
    </body>
    </html>

and preserve the "onchange" event for something else.

p.s.: your fiddle updated with this workaround is here: http://jsfiddle.net/8GT7u/3/

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:46 AM

All replies

• For a workaround, I found if I change the code so the size is set within a setTimeout(), then IE11 handles it without crashing. Any suggestions or other workarounds?

The best, or the easiest workaround on this issue, (reusing code given by Mr. Max) is to:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    	<title>select size 1</title>
    	<meta charset="utf-8">
    </head>
    <body>
    	<select size=2 onclick="this.size=1">
    		<option selected>click on me</option>
    		<option>or me!</option>
    	</select>
    </body>
    </html>

and preserve the "onchange" event for something else.

p.s.: your fiddle updated with this workaround is here: http://jsfiddle.net/8GT7u/3/

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:46 AM
  • That's perfect, very clean solution. Thanks, I appreciate it!

• Edited by CarComplaints dot com Wednesday, January 01, 2014 1:04 PM whoops didn't realize you meant the other reply by "Mr. Max"
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Why thank you :)   We always start out with an select box open to show multiple options with none selected, so any click is fine .... I think anyway, couldn't find any situations where onclick vs onchange made a difference with our use case.
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 4:34 PM
  • For what it's worth, anyone (everyone) also experiencing this IE11 crash, please go to the "Internet Explorer Feedback" site & use the search feedback box to find these 2 bug reports:

812635, 811718

.. for each, find the "X users can reproduce this bug" section in the middle & click on "I can too".

(Sorry, MSDN won't let me post links yet)
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 01, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Re the "change keyup" combo, there was some browser/version awhile back that didn't fire a "change" event when the keyboard arrows were used to pick the select object option. You had to use the combo of change + keyup events to handle it properly.

Normally I could look back in Git (our code revision tracking system) for the commit notes on that, but we switched to Git in 2010 & our use of that event combo code pre-dates that... it's probably not required anymore, but who knows. Anyone else remember which browser/version made that code necessary?

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:42 PM