none
Removing address bar in a popup window in ie7

Question

• Hi, Im just wondering if there is a way to stop the address bar being at the top of the window with internet explorer 7. I have all my poems opening in 800 x 600 popup windows (with no toolbars at the top) on my website and in some cases have gone to a great deal of trouble to make the graphic set fit the window perfectly and now Ive just upgraded to ie7 have found that it puts an address bar at the top of the window which takes up some of the window and makes everything drop lower and no longer fit exactly. Is there a way to code for ie7 so that it doesnt add the address bar? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andrea
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:33 PM

All replies

• I believe that IE 7 has disabled the ability to do that permanently so that phishing sites and scam-artists can no longer hide it in order to trick people: about time if you ask me, though sorry if you need it very badly: you'll have to re-work your windows.

Friday, February 2, 2007 5:48 AM
  • A user can enable it in the security settings (under Allow websites to open windows without address bar or status bar), but it cannot be done from the website code without the user taking that action.
    Friday, February 2, 2007 2:28 PM
  •  

try 'directories=no'

it will work out in IE7....

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:11 PM
  • This will not work at all.

Greetings!
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Sorry, you've mistaken the IE team with a team that cares about developers.

IE8 was announced the other week, after about 500 comments from developers to give us insight into the bug fixes, and missing features that are now implemented, they have decided not to answer.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/05/internet-explorer-8.aspx

This was a much heated debate when they added this feature, and most developers were against it.  I have yet to see any proof whatsoever that it has been anything other than a complete pain for developers, and of no real use to the end user.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:59 PM
  •  

To disable the address bar follow the steps below

1) Select Tools in IE7
    2) Select Security Tab
    3) Choose Internet Zone and click on Custom level
    4) Scroll down till “Allow websites to open windows without address or status bars”
    5) Select "Disable" -> OK
    6) Restart IE7 and you are done.To disable the address bar follow the steps below

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:53 AM
  • The problem here is how to do it programatically not by using the ie menu...

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:10 PM
  • It cannot be done programmatically from a webpage, and if it could it would be a security risk and the IE team would patch it.

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:56 PM
  •  

It cannot be done programmatically from a webpage, and if it could it would be a security risk and the IE team would patch it.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 5:56 PM
  • This is ok.but i want to hide or disable the address bar of a browser(popup window) through the application ie in java script.Do you have any idea.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:56 PM
  • location=no in the features parameter of window.open is the code you need to hide the address bar if the browser allows it.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:31 PM
  • nope this trick does not work with IE7
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:18 AM
  • I am using center popup script where i added location=no this work's in local when uploaded to server it's not working even in firefox both local/server wont works
    [url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?bb2f6f6fde.jpg][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.bb2f6f6fde.jpg[/img][/url]
    can any one help me out..
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Avoid using pop-ups. You can do this with div tags, and positioning/z-index in CSS.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:40 PM