none
Unable to type in input text on IE11_windows 10

Question

• Hello Teams, thank you for investigating this issue.

I have some input text fields in page. Sometimes I cannot edit it.

I open the page. I click on the input field. The placeholder disappear but the cursor do not appear.

It cause I cannot type anything.

After several seconds(sometimes long and sometimes short), try to click the text field again and again. It works.

What I have done is clicking the input field again and again until the cursor appear. 

Another workaround: right click -> "select all", then the cursor appears and I am able to type.

The strangest point is this only be found on IE11 at Windows 10.

Edge, Firefox and chrome on Windows 10 work perfectly.

IE, Firefox and chrome on Windows 7 work perfectly too.

Work perfectly means: the cursor appear and able to edit when clicking the input field.

I think the html code does not relevant. Because I have use same code in other page and work perfectly.

I use the Win10 VM download from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/.

The problem still exists.

Here are my VM's windows and IE version.

Device specifications:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @3.60GHz 3.59 GHz

Installed RAM 5.10GB

System type 64-bit operating system,x64-based processor

Windows specifications: 

Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.19

IE:

version: 11.15.16299.0

Updated Versions: 11.0.47(KB4040685)

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

winkey+spacebar to select your input method eg. Chinese IME or English. Your VM image may not contain the simplified Chinese Language pack. You can install/update it from your windows Language control panel. If you change the default language, you must reboot the device for the full changes to take affect. Possibly, the VM does not have the correct drivers for your physical keyboard... As a test you could use the touch keyboard if your VM supports it.

The first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is to test in noAddons mode... Start>Run>iexplore.exe -extoff. Addons such as form fillers and password stores alter outcomes. eg. The Google toolbar has a form filler too...

you should be using meta charset utf-8 and you can specify a content language in the html tag.

Include links to problem websites or jsfiddle mashups with your questions... of coarse your codes matter.... we can read code better than minds.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, March 01, 2018 4:13 AM
  • Hi Cyrus Wong_software engineer,

Is there any error when loading the page? 

If there is no error, I guess this issue may be related with the IE version.

I suggest you could try to use the ie feedback to  send the feedback to the MS ie team to solve this issue.

Best Regards,

Brando

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 01, 2018 5:08 AM
  • Hello Rob,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using English. No Traditional Chinese and Simply Chinese.

I have already used noAddons mode. But the problem still exists.

Monday, March 12, 2018 2:34 AM
  • Hello Brando,

Thank you for reply.

No any error found at page loading neither page processing.

I am wondering this is related to this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2927972/caret-is-missing-in-a-webpage-in-internet-explorer-11

This window patches for issue are for Windows 8 or older. I'm afraid it is not fixed in Windows 10.

Monday, March 12, 2018 2:41 AM