none
How to Disable 'Always refresh from Server' option in the IE Developer Tool IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to disable the 'Always Refresh from Server' option in the IE Developer tool for IE11? Right now, I'm trying to disable it so that the loading of the page will be faster (from cache instead of from Server). this is fine when I disable it and use the browser but for some reason it gets enabled again when I close the browser and open it again. How do I get it to be disabled even after closing the browser. Thanks
    Friday, June 26, 2015 7:08 AM

Answers

• Is there a way to disable the 'Always Refresh from Server' option in the IE Developer tool for IE11?

First I would have to test if it persists at least during a boot.  I would assume it does but haven't checked.  But if it does your symptom sounds like an instance of registry protection and that case is usually avoided by trying to make your change in a safe mode boot, rebooting in safe mode to confirm the change persists and then hopefully seeing that whatever (unknown) agent of the (assumed) registry protection is, it will then help make your new choice persist.  E.g. if the option does persist then it has to be saved somewhere, probably in the registry.  We could try using ProcMon to find out where that would be, e.g. filter with Operation Is RegSetValue but who knows it might have some other more obscure implementation. 

If it doesn't persist then the default would be hardcoded in some way, probably not via a registry value but again ProcMon could help you check that assumption too.  Then to achieve your desired workaround you would have to find out how the default occurred and figure out how to change it.  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 27, 2015 4:10 PM

All replies

• Is there a way to disable the 'Always Refresh from Server' option in the IE Developer tool for IE11?

First I would have to test if it persists at least during a boot.  I would assume it does but haven't checked.  But if it does your symptom sounds like an instance of registry protection and that case is usually avoided by trying to make your change in a safe mode boot, rebooting in safe mode to confirm the change persists and then hopefully seeing that whatever (unknown) agent of the (assumed) registry protection is, it will then help make your new choice persist.  E.g. if the option does persist then it has to be saved somewhere, probably in the registry.  We could try using ProcMon to find out where that would be, e.g. filter with Operation Is RegSetValue but who knows it might have some other more obscure implementation. 

If it doesn't persist then the default would be hardcoded in some way, probably not via a registry value but again ProcMon could help you check that assumption too.  Then to achieve your desired workaround you would have to find out how the default occurred and figure out how to change it.  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 27, 2015 4:10 PM
  • I used Procmon on my Windows 10 box and discovered the settings.json file located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\F12\network was being changed from {"0":{"NetworkProfilerSettings":{"detailsPanelCollapsed":false,"refreshFromServer":false}},"1":{}} to {"0":{"NetworkProfilerSettings":{"detailsPanelCollapsed":false,"refreshFromServer":true}},"1":{}} depending on whether or not 'Always refresh from server' was selected.  Unfortunately the same folder does not exist on Windows 7.  Has anyone had any luck finding a file or registry setting that stores this information on Windows 7?  

Matt Dillon

• Edited by pugmohone Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:56 PM typo
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

click on the icon (looks like a floppy disk) on the Networking tab of dev tools to toggle its setting.... the setting is only persistent while the dev tool is visible so you may like to pin it to your browser tab. When you close the dev tool, the "Always refresh from server" setting is not enforced.

To troubleshoot issues caused by blocked content (activex filtering and tracking protection) and security and xss warnings and messages. go Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages". Save your changes....

now if you visit your test site and open the dev tool, warnings and errors for blocked content and security errors are listed in the Console tab.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Peter Ivan Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:47 AM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:19 AM